AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Variants

Old May 25, 2014, 18:56   #41
chris
PosChengband Maintainer

chris is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by debo View Post
I was killing dragons in mountainous area between Giant's Hall and Mountain, and a couple times I killed a dragon and it dropped a chest-sigil item called "(nothing)".

The first time I deliberately picked one up, and the second time I think I walked over it and it autopickuped (or I spammed 'get', not sure).

Anyhow, it seems like my inventory capacity is now permanently reduced? I remember being able to have items up to slot 'z', and now 'w' is the max I can have. Am I being paranoid and remembering things incorrectly, or should I really be able to have more stuff in my inventory?

[Edit: I should be clear that I'm still on 3.2.0, and this character has never undergone a version upgrade.]
Restart the game and you should get your slots back. I'm still trying to track down why this is happening ...
chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2014, 19:37   #42
debo
Veteran

debo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris View Post
Restart the game and you should get your slots back. I'm still trying to track down why this is happening ...
Weird, I thought I'd tried that. Just did it now and it worked. Sorry to waste your time -- I don't think this is really worth digging into to fix if the workaround is that easy
Old May 25, 2014, 19:40   #43
HugoTheGreat2011
Veteran

HugoTheGreat2011 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by debo View Post
Weird, I thought I'd tried that. Just did it now and it worked. Sorry to waste your time -- I don't think this is really worth digging into to fix if the workaround is that easy
I think this bug is caused by an overflow of drops in a small area, and it ends getting recognized as "nothing"
Old May 25, 2014, 20:13   #44
chris
PosChengband Maintainer

chris is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoTheGreat2011 View Post
I think this bug is caused by an overflow of drops in a small area, and it ends getting recognized as "nothing"
Actually, it is a wilderness scrolling bug, which fails to patch up the object location indices for all but the topmost object in a stack. Then, to reproduce, you need gold in the middle of a stack which is dropped right on the edge of a wilderness scroll trigger tile (Good luck finding those which is why I could never reproduce this damn bug!). Now step onto the stack which triggers a wilderness scroll and then autopicks up the gold, but the gold object no longer points to the correct cave tile, so the actual stack never gets patched up, leaving a hole for the newly wiped object and orphaning any remaining objects in the list. The wiped object that was gold is now zero'd out and displays as "(nothing)".

Make sense?
chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2014, 21:51   #45
Tulip
Scout

Tulip is on a distinguished road
Have you considered an undead dragon subrace? Like a dracolich or some sort of undead wurm?
Tulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2014, 23:41   #46
Arjen
Adept

Arjen is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulip View Post
Have you considered an undead dragon subrace? Like a dracolich or some sort of undead wurm?
baby skeleton dragon (new) -> bone dragon -> dracolich
Arjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2014, 23:52   #47
HugoTheGreat2011
Veteran

HugoTheGreat2011 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjen View Post
How about one for Dracolisks too?

Baby Basilisk (new) -> Basilisk -> Greater Basilisk -> Dracolisk
Old May 27, 2014, 03:39   #48
Fnord
Apprentice

Fnord is on a distinguished road
I doubt this is gonna be down your alley given what I read, but it feels worth a try:

Create a shop/add an option to a shop to trade stat potions for *healing*. Heck, let me trade aritfacts for them.

My current char is still that half titan warrior. Currently I'm feeling I'm pretty much ready for the end game or at very least starting to dive there (currently on 81 in Angband). Double or more base resists, everything else covered once at least (except time and light), most things double or more. Sustain all, reflect, anti-magic, 27 speed unhasted. 630 (750 evil, more for undead and humans) per turn, vampiric.

Problem? Well, I want to kill more deeper uniques before going there. So I try myself on what I encounter. Most things are trivial, but then, some things just need healing. And so, I've depleted my stack of *healing* (that never got above 10 at any point). But without that, attempting pretty much anything I don't know feels suicidal.

So, what are my options?
I can't use staffs or rods of healing - fail rate's ridiculous and would seem impossible to get into acceptable terrain.
I have normal healing potions, but they're not really cutting it - if I need to heal with this guy, 300 are not really relevant at this stage.
Farm for *healing*? That means running around rather deep to get a decent chance of them to drop, and farming there (while running from anything that could be a danger) is extremely slow, given their rarity. I find many times more artifacts (most of them useless, of course) than I find of those potions.
I've tried the potion gambling option, but after >100 attempts, I didn't get a single *heal*.

I don't really see what I could do to get a decent stack of *healing*. Which is frustrating! And while it's possible that I might miss some little bit of res this or that that I'm not aware I'd absolutely need, that's the only thing keeping me from going for the end game!

So, there's my plea - make this super essential thing available in some form of trade. It can be expensive, it can be limited in some form, but it's simply essential to have (for a warrior, at least) and impossible to acquire in a sane way.
Fnord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2014, 07:59   #49
Thraalbee
Knight

Thraalbee is on a distinguished road
would you buy if the price was a permanent 20 hp loss?
it'd have to hurt a lot or break the game in my opinion
Thraalbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2014, 12:15   #50
Tulip
Scout

Tulip is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjen View Post
Purely for flavour purposes, I think a dracolich would develop without a juvenile form (baby skeleton dragon).

So something more like:

malformed remains(new) -> bone dragon -> dracolich

Showing a progression from a dishevelled mass of bone to a noble lich.
Tulip is offline   Reply With Quote