Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old March 28, 2019, 12:08   #251
PowerWyrm
Prophet

PowerWyrm is on a distinguished road
Ok maybe you can help me here...

I have implemented in PWMAngband the change that moves all books from object.txt to class.txt and now I have a constant crash when launching the game.

The crash happens when registering the artifacts. I have put a watch on "classes->start_items->kind->name" which shows "Word of Recall", but when the game registers the Arkenstone, this value changes to "NULL" when the code does:

Code:
temp = mem_realloc(k_info, (z_info->k_max + 1) * sizeof(*temp));
Any idea?
Old March 28, 2019, 12:29   #252
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerWyrm View Post
Ok maybe you can help me here...

I have implemented in PWMAngband the change that moves all books from object.txt to class.txt and now I have a constant crash when launching the game.

The crash happens when registering the artifacts. I have put a watch on "classes->start_items->kind->name" which shows "Word of Recall", but when the game registers the Arkenstone, this value changes to "NULL" when the code does:

Code:
temp = mem_realloc(k_info, (z_info->k_max + 1) * sizeof(*temp));
Any idea?
It may be the order you are reading the datafiles. Both the books (in class.txt) and the special artifacts add extra object kinds to k_info, but books increment k_max and ordinary_kind_max, where special artifacts only increment k_max. Because of this you have to parse artifact.txt after class.txt in init_arrays().

That's my best guess, anyway
Old March 28, 2019, 12:39   #253
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
I don't dispute that dreads are tougher then most things at their old depths but I do dispute that monsters should appear at there "correct" depth in the monster list (see others comments upthread on white wraiths).

You know one of the changes I liked least in late poscheng was the removal of Gachapin. He appeared super early for the threat level he presented, adding occassional danger to otherwise "safe" mid-levels. An early dangerous monster presents a different threat to OOD, eapecially considering there's a dynamic (earlier dreads + OOD). It's a different density & probability spread. I think it's a mistake to impose too much order here.
Don't worry, I don't think I've created a perfectly smooth monster difficulty progression
Old March 28, 2019, 13:02   #254
PowerWyrm
Prophet

PowerWyrm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
It may be the order you are reading the datafiles. Both the books (in class.txt) and the special artifacts add extra object kinds to k_info, but books increment k_max and ordinary_kind_max, where special artifacts only increment k_max. Because of this you have to parse artifact.txt after class.txt in init_arrays().

That's my best guess, anyway
Seems I missed a part of the change in the corresponding commit. The field "kind" in struct start_item was replaced by the (tval,sval) pair, which of course fixes the problem since instead of loading the kind during parsing it's loaded when creating the character. Problem solved.
Old March 28, 2019, 15:16   #255
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Don't worry, I don't think I've created a perfectly smooth monster difficulty progression
Can you give some examples of monsters in your version that are unusually dangerous for their depth?
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2019, 21:20   #256
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
Can you give some examples of monsters in your version that are unusually dangerous for their depth?
Well, gorgons and 9-headed hydras, but they may be so dangerous they need toning down. Blood falcons if you don't see them coming. Eastern dwarf lords and stiffbeard sorcerers are like the old dark elves, but not light-susceptible.

Others may be better able to give examples - it does depend a bit on the class you're playing, which is one of the things I was aiming for.
Old March 28, 2019, 21:59   #257
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
I totally agree. The dangerous monsters are a risk. The easy monsters at depth are the rewards, since they tend to have a high EXP/cost ratio. The game would be a lot more boring if it were different. That said, if Dreads are native to dl 44, they need to be worth more EXP, perhaps 2x more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
I don't dispute that dreads are tougher then most things at their old depths but I do dispute that monsters should appear at there "correct" depth in the monster list (see others comments upthread on white wraiths).

You know one of the changes I liked least in late poscheng was the removal of Gachapin. He appeared super early for the threat level he presented, adding occassional danger to otherwise "safe" mid-levels. An early dangerous monster presents a different threat to OOD, eapecially considering there's a dynamic (earlier dreads + OOD). It's a different density & probability spread. I think it's a mistake to impose too much order here.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2019, 08:59   #258
Mondkalb
Knight

Mondkalb is on a distinguished road
I have been playing several rogues during the last few weeks and have noticed that recharging might be too powerful as it is now.
I can't tell any exact numbers, but I had only a few destroyed wands/stuffs.
Also, the actual number of increased charges per recharge seems to be way higher than in previous versions.
Wands of TO are now even more poweful than ever before.
Yesterday I cleaned an entire vault mainly with TO, recharging several times during the process.
Mondkalb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2019, 09:03   #259
Mondkalb
Knight

Mondkalb is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Well, gorgons and 9-headed hydras, but they may be so dangerous they need toning down. Blood falcons if you don't see them coming. Eastern dwarf lords and stiffbeard sorcerers are like the old dark elves, but not light-susceptible.

Others may be better able to give examples - it does depend a bit on the class you're playing, which is one of the things I was aiming for.
One of my rogues got shred to pieces by a blood falcon lately. I didn't look closely and mistook it for just one of those ... but it was a new one. ^^

Also, abyss spiders (don't recall the exact name). They have the icon of a tick or some such, I believe, but are way more dangerous.

Ah, also the new dunadan (pink/violet "d" ?) is just a pain.

Last edited by Mondkalb; March 29, 2019 at 18:53.
Mondkalb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2019, 13:43   #260
Sphara
Adept

Sphara is on a distinguished road
Trap-summoned monsters still get a first turn.

Is the thing here not to touch magical traps without disarming device? Because the outcome is too risky as it is now.

Tried to pick a chest trap (Multiple Traps one) on DL50. The chest exploded and Scatha, Itangast, Queen Ant and Rogrog were all summoned and all got one move before I had a chance of doing anything. I got lucky this time but this kind of bullshit just isn't right. One breath from either Dragons would have killed me. I know I was at speed +0 so those monsters were all initially faster. I dunno if that's a point: haste yourself before attempting to disarm a magical trap.

I think just summoning uniques without the first turn and destroying the chest and all its contest, is punishment enough for triggering the trap. I have posted about this topic before after being killed by similar situations without any chance of surviving.

If nothing is going to be done, should I assume I am SUPPOSED to carry disarming devices or leave the chests (and other traps) alone?
Sphara is offline   Reply With Quote