Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old September 29, 2019, 23:16   #181
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
I think he got the only one where I failed to do a customised message
Ha! That's some high-quality playtesting Ingwe's doing there.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30, 2019, 04:39   #182
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
Bug: Automatic Digging without having to wield digger in pack:

It appears that the automatic digger selection for tunneling with items in the pack may cause a problem when @ is carrying Deathwreaker in that pack. I may want @ to dig through the wall, but not incur the aggravation penalty that Deathwreaker would entail, or is the tunneling occurring without said penalty? Also, the messages are odd for a priest...

With Deathwreaker in pack, and tunneling while wielding a Holy Avenger Mace of Disruption:

"You feel less attuned to your weapon.
"You feel attuned to your weapon.
"You tunnel into the granite wall."
[Message repeats in the same order until digging is completed, until...]
"You have finished the tunnel."

Without Deathwreaker in pack:

"You tunnel into the granit wall. <#x>
"You have finished the tunnel."

So, digging is apparently:

1. Switching weapon (and getting malus from doing so) without any choice.
2. Deathwreaker is a Mace, so it should be just fine for priests to use, like any other mace. Why does this one mace have a malus flag for priests?
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30, 2019, 07:38   #183
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingwe Ingweron View Post
1. Switching weapon (and getting malus from doing so) without any choice.
It turns out this is actually not a problem. The dig command selects the best - ie greatest tunneling power - digger, switches it in, digs, and switches out again. Because this all happens during the player turn, the player never has aggravation (or anything else bad) when these things are checked, so nothing is really affected apart from digging speed.

Quote:
2. Deathwreaker is a Mace, so it should be just fine for priests to use, like any other mace. Why does this one mace have a malus flag for priests?
The change to priests meant that they don't get any malus for any weapon, but they do get a bonus for wielding a blessed weapon. So the problem here is that your wielded weapon was blessed, but Deathwreaker isn't - so you would get the same message spam using a standard pick. The message spam is still really annoying, though, and I'll have to try and find a way around it.
Old September 30, 2019, 13:09   #184
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Quote:
So the problem here is that your wielded weapon was blessed, but Deathwreaker isn't - so you would get the same message spam using a standard pick. The message spam is still really annoying, though, and I'll have to try and find a way around it.
Thanks Nick, but, umm... 'Deathwreaker' isn't a pick, its a Mace of Disruption. Every other mace in the game, including other maces of disruption, priests are comfortable using. It's a mace.
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
Old September 30, 2019, 13:51   #185
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Thanks Nick, but, umm... 'Deathwreaker' isn't a pick, its a Mace of Disruption. Every other mace in the game, including other maces of disruption, priests are comfortable using. It's a mace.
Sorry, I wasn't clear. Priests are now comfortable using any weapon; bluntness or sharpness are completely irrelevant. But they are attuned to blessed weapons, and you were wielding a Holy Avenger, which is blessed. So the message was because of removing that in favour of something not blessed - in your case Deathwreaker, but could have been any non-blessed weapon.
Old September 30, 2019, 19:16   #186
Chud
Swordsman

Chud is on a distinguished road
Quote:
The message spam is still really annoying, though, and I'll have to try and find a way around it.
If the timing guarantees that no other important messages can be interleaved with these, maybe at least turn off pause between messages, do all this, and then turn it back on again? At least that way the message spam doesn't make you page through it.
Chud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2, 2019, 05:12   #187
Grotug
Veteran

Grotug is on a distinguished road
Knight's shield vs Mithril Shield: I wonder if there should be a larger AC difference between the two shields? (15 vs 16 is kind of small). Before Knight was added, all other shields had a difference of 3 or 4 AC. Maybe Mithril should get bumped to [18]?

Wicker [2]
Small metal [5]
Leather [8]
Large [12]
Knight's [15]
Mithril [16]
Old October 2, 2019, 05:35   #188
Sphara
Adept

Sphara is on a distinguished road
Now that two competitions have been finished (congrats to Ingwe for the latest, btw) and several good players have played with "Monsters learn from their mistakes" on, I'd like to ask if anyone has noticed any increase in difficulty because of it.

I don't know how exactly this birth option works but nevertheless, I have not noticed it's turned on. Haven't even thought about it while playing. 4.2.0 itself is a bit harder than a previous version, THAT I have noticed (in a totally positive way).
Sphara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2, 2019, 06:11   #189
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphara View Post
"Monsters learn from their mistakes" on, I'd like to ask if anyone has noticed any increase in difficulty because of it.
I did notice some difference with the regularity of particularly damaging spell choices or healing spell rapidity with monsters if the melee went too long, giving the monster a chance to take advantage. That said, it seems far less broken than it once was when, long ago, it made winning against healing monsters virtually impossible.
Old October 2, 2019, 09:19   #190
PowerWyrm
Prophet

PowerWyrm is on a distinguished road
Try fightning the Tarrasque with both immunities to fire and ice with or without the option and you'll notice the difference very quickly