Go Back   Angband Forums > The real world > Idle chatter

Old February 2, 2011, 19:45   #11
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cazliostro View Post
It can be painful... painful to retrain one's thinking back to AD&D 2e if one is used to D&D 3.5e. I had to re-read the armor descriptions several times (4 is better than 5!). Trying to remember the attribute bonus system is all but impossible for me now (does a ranger need a minimum Wisdom of 14? Is that just a +1 in 2e? A Constitution bonus beyond 16 only applies to fighters... and also Paladins?) ...it's dreadfully clunky compared to 3.5e. The difference between those editions is just stunning. It's the difference between tables that need to be consulted and universal mechanics that can be applied to multiple situations on the fly.

I grew up with AD&D 1e & sometimes still peruse the books for nostalgia's sake, but as time goes by I don't think I can really enjoy CRPG's based on older editions. They seem more like an exercise in limitations than anything else. But on the other hand these are well made games with beautiful maps, deep, rewarding stories, massive mod communities, challenging tactical puzzles, etc. ... it's an esoteric obsession, I guess.

I would put them in this order:

1. Planescape Torment (AD&D 2e modified so main character has 4 classes)
2. Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 (AD&D 2e)
3. Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 (2e & 3.5e respectively I believe)
4. Temple of Elemental Evil (D&D 3.5 - best CRPG implementation of 3.5e IMO)
5. Icewind Dale 1 & 2 (AD&D 2e)
IWD2 uses a bastard implementation of 3e, and IIRC NWN1 was full 3e. BG2 has several enhancements/customisations over straight 2e.

IMO there is a *colossal* difference between NWN1 and 2. NWN1 is right at the bottom of the list for me, while NWN2 is near the top (between PST/BG2 and BG1).

I have never played ToEE.
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2, 2011, 20:56   #12
Max Stats
Swordsman

Max Stats is on a distinguished road
Talking

Just wanted to drop a quick note to say thanks to everyone for the suggestions so far; I haven't had time to look into them yet but rest assured, I will! And if anyone else has any suggestions, keep them coming! Hopefully others here can find them useful as well.
Max Stats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2011, 20:10   #13
rdermyer
Apprentice

rdermyer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by konijn_ View Post
For Iphone/Ipad try Undercroft, good old times !

T.
I really like 100 Rogues. It is not free (maybe $2.99? It goes on sale every once in a while for in between free and that, I think) and "slightly" buggy, but the developers are active in the forums and development isn't static.
rdermyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15, 2011, 14:09   #14
Mondkalb
Knight

Mondkalb is on a distinguished road
The Might-and-Magic-Series might be worth a try.
They use their own rules other than D&D but you get a party of 4 and you may choose between real time and turn based combat.
I'd suggest MM VI or VII for a start.
Mondkalb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15, 2011, 19:10   #15
snoop
Rookie

snoop is on a distinguished road
Frua

If it's the Gold Box experience you're after, you couldn't do better than Forgotten Realms Unlimited Adventures (FRUA). This is a builder you can use to design your own Gold Box style adventures. There is a small but still active community of FRUAites at http://ua.reonis.com, and over the years since FRUA came out (about 1991) they've done a lot of stuff with it, including hacks to go beyond what the original was cabable of, and quite a few high quality adventures have been produced which were just as much fun and just as epic as the SSI games were.
snoop is offline   Reply With Quote