Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > The real world > Idle chatter

Old May 5, 2007, 08:02   #11
Chris Wesling
Rookie

Chris Wesling is on a distinguished road
Chalk me up as one of the fantasy fans who aren't metalheads. I never did develop a taste for metal.

I also can't listen to music while I'm trying to do something else, because if the music's good enough to listen to, it distracts me from whatever I'm doing; and if it's boring enough not to distract me, why bother playing it? So I play Angband to the tune of dead silence...
Chris Wesling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2007, 09:07   #12
Big Al
Swordsman

Donated: $18.32
Big Al is on a distinguished road
Playing a video game without listening music is impossible for me. I've got a quite a wide taste in music; at the moment, I'm listening to most often: Modest Mouse, Metric, The Pixies, The Who, The White Stripes, The Ventures, The Tragically Hip, The Tea Party, Supertramp, Sonic Youth, Simon & Garfunkle, Queen, Pearl Jam, Oscar Lopez, Nine Inch Nails, Neil Young, Neil Diamond, The Meligrove Band, The Mars Volta, Led Zepplin, Johnny Cash, James Keelaghan, Jack Johnson, Iggy Pop, Gnarls Barkley, Franz Ferdinand, Elton John, The Eagles, The Doors, Jimi Hexdrix, Damien Rice, CCR, Buddy Guy, Broken Social Scene, The Beatles, among others.
Big Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2007, 02:49   #13
Chris Wesling
Rookie

Pretty impressive list there -- you're listening to a surprising amount of "oldies" for a 19-year-old. Or do all the kids these days regularly listen to music from the '60s and '70s? It used to be that kids couldn't stand listening to their parents' music (or vice versa); I didn't know anyone in high school who listened to, say, Frank Sinatra/Bing Crosby/big band stuff, which was about 20-30 years old at that time. At least nobody who admitted to listening to it.
Old May 13, 2007, 13:32   #14
pav
Administrator

pav is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to pav
Ain't it that today's generation parents grew up on 80s disco pop which a lot of youngsters can't stand?
Old May 14, 2007, 06:39   #15
Big Al
Swordsman

*shrug* Well of course, "kids these days"'s musical tastes can't be summed up by a single sampling of one person...I'll even admit that I like a lot of the early big band stuff (not that I listen to it very often at all), there's not a lot that I don't listen to (save a lot of punk, rap and occational country music). Then again I've friends who listen to nothing but rap or nothing but modern rock, etc.

I'd consider the term "oldies" to be mostly fifties and very early sixties for the most part.
Old May 14, 2007, 07:28   #16
Chris Wesling
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
*shrug* Well of course, "kids these days"'s musical tastes can't be summed up by a single sampling of one person...
True. I was just struck because you're not the first teenager I've run into recently who liked sixties and seventies music. Would you consider your musical tastes exceptional or pretty average for kids your age, though?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Al
I'll even admit that I like a lot of the early big band stuff (not that I listen to it very often at all),
Yeah, I'll even admit to that myself these days. Although Linda Ronstadt was largely responsible for opening up my appreciation of the Big Band era.

Quote:
there's not a lot that I don't listen to (save a lot of punk, rap and occational country music). Then again I've friends who listen to nothing but rap or nothing but modern rock, etc.
Your tastes are sounding more and more like mine. I like pretty much anything that's melodic, from Dixieland jazz to, yes, some country music. I don't care much for rap, punk, or metal because they're not (very) melodic.

Quote:
I'd consider the term "oldies" to be mostly fifties and very early sixties for the most part.
Interesting. That's pretty much what we considered it to mean back in the '70s when I was a teen. I guess I just assumed that "oldies" meant anything from two or more decades ago, and would keep moving forward as time marched on. I wonder if it's actually changes in the musical style that create a perception of "oldness"? Maybe sixties and seventies hits still sound relevant today because they're still basically rock music, despite all the stylistic differences that come and go.
Old May 14, 2007, 07:36   #17
Djabanete
Knight

Djabanete is on a distinguished road
I listen to Dire Straits as well as more recent Mark Knopfler stuff. For gaming only, I sometimes listen to weird metal and rap that I dig up on Youtube, since it gets me in "the zone". Pirates of the Caribbean or Lord of the Rings soundtrack has the same effect.
Djabanete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2007, 11:12   #18
zasvid
Rookie

zasvid is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Wesling View Post
True. I was just struck because you're not the first teenager I've run into recently who liked sixties and seventies music. Would you consider your musical tastes exceptional or pretty average for kids your age, though?
I'd like to chime in here, though I'm not in my teens, but rather the ripe old age of 20, I listen a lot to of stuff from seventies and adjacent decades (Led Zeppelin, Queen, Pink Floyd, Hendrix, Jethro Tull, Rush, ELP, King Crimson, The Beatles, The Who etc.) and I have quite a bit of friends who also do. Then again, we all grew up and explored music together, so maybe that skews the results.
zasvid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2007, 04:10   #19
Big Al
Swordsman

Quote:
It seems that the largest portion of people that I konw listen to modern (90's, 2000's) rock, though by no means would I easily be able to say that eg. >70% population listens to a particular genre.

Quote:
Interesting. That's pretty much what we considered it to mean back in the '70s when I was a teen. I guess I just assumed that "oldies" meant anything from two or more decades ago, and would keep moving forward as time marched on. I wonder if it's actually changes in the musical style that create a perception of "oldness"? Maybe sixties and seventies hits still sound relevant today because they're still basically rock music, despite all the stylistic differences that come and go.
As far as "rock"ish genres go, I see 50's & early 60's as "oldies", late 60's & 70's as "Classic Rock", 80's as "eighties music", 90's & 2000's as "modern rock"
Old May 16, 2007, 13:48   #20
Fuma
Adept

Fuma is on a distinguished road
Most of the time I play random tracks from my playlist when I'm playing, although Lord of the Rings soundtracks and Battlelore seem to fit to the Tolkienish setting of most roguelikes.
Fuma is offline   Reply With Quote