Go Back   Angband Forums > The real world > Idle chatter

Old November 24, 2011, 12:49   #11
half
Knight

half is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djabanete View Post
Caranthir clears up a couple of small technicalities:

"Be he friend or foe, whether demon of Morgoth, of Elf, or child of Men, or any other living thing in Arda, neither law, nor love, nor league of hell, nor might of the Valar, nor any power of wizardry, shall defend him from the pursuing hate of Feanor's sons, if he take or find a Silmaril and keep it. For the Silmarils we alone claim, until the world ends."
I prefer one of the verse versions of this:

Quote:
"Be he friend or foe, or seed defiled
of Morgoth Bauglir, or mortal child
that in after days on earth shall dwell,
no law, nor love, nor league of hell,
not might of Gods, not moveless fate
shall him defend from wrath and hate
of Feanor's sons, who takes or steals
or finding keeps the Silmarils,
the thrice-enchanted globes of light
that shine until the final night"
There are 4 versions here:

http://www.lotrplaza.com/archive7/fo...asp?TID=236120
half is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24, 2011, 12:55   #12
half
Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
This one is from Of Tuor and his coming to Gondolin in Unfinished Tales, which in my opinion is one of Tolkien's finest pieces of writing:
Wow, that is beautiful -- I hadn't read that before. Thank you for the thread idea!

Here is probably my favourite passage from tLotR (though not very Angband-relevant):

Quote:
Sam had noticed that at times a light seemed to be shining faintly within; but now the light was even clearer and stronger. Frodo's face was peaceful, the marks of fear and care had left it; but it looked old, old and beautiful, as if the chiselling of the shaping years was now revealled in many fine lines that had before been hidden, though the identity of the face was not changed. Not that Sam Gamgee put it that way himself. He shook his head, as if finding words useless, and murmered: 'I love him. He's like that, and sometimes it shines through, somehow. But I love him whether or no.'
Old November 24, 2011, 13:50   #13
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
One of my favourites from LoTR:
Quote:
Still she did not blench: maiden of the Rohirrim, child of kings, slender but as a steel-blade, fair but terrible. A swift stroke she dealt, skilled and deadly. The outstretched neck she clove asunder, and the hewn head fell like a stone. Backward she sprang as the huge shape crashed to ruin, vast wings outspread, crumpled on the earth; and with its fall the shadow passed away. A light fell about her, and her hair shone in the sunrise.
Out of the wreck rose the Black Rider, tall and threatening, towering above her. With a cry of hatred that stung the very ears like venom he let fall his mace. Her shield was shivered in many pieces, and her arm was broken; she stumbled to her knees. He bent over her like a cloud, and his eyes glittered; he raised his mace to kill.
But suddenly he too stumbled forward with a cry of bitter pain, and his stroke went wide, driving into the ground. Merry's sword had stabbed him from behind, shearing through the black mantle, and passing up beneath the hauberk had pierced the sinew behind the mighty knee.
This is the point where things really start to go pear-shaped for Sauron.
Old November 24, 2011, 13:58   #14
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by half View Post
I should note that the lengthening song of Luthien is also a useful source.
Yes, indeed. I'm actually only now reading the Lays properly for the first time, and am finding they really flesh out a lot of things that are skated over elsewhere; I get more of a sense of the horror of Taur-Nu-Fuin, for example.

I look forward to seeing your variant.
Old November 24, 2011, 16:36   #15
buzzkill
Prophet

Donated: $8
buzzkill is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I look forward to seeing your variant.
Me too. When do we get to see it?
Old November 25, 2011, 00:28   #16
half
Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzkill View Post
Me too. When do we get to see it?
A good question. My best guess is that it is still a couple of months off. I've said this before though... It really depends upon how much the "real world" intervenes...
Old November 27, 2011, 10:28   #17
myshkin
Angband Devteam member

myshkin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djabanete View Post
I take Angband itself as canon and maintain that Tolkien was too scatterbrained to remember to include Omarax, Cantoras, Kaxlax, and Tselakus, not to mention the shady trading outpost full of thuggish Edain on the peak of Thangorodrim. Also, Yeeks, kobolds, and icky-things figured prominently in the early battles against the Noldor, and several major engagements were won by Morgoth by sheer power of breeding lice. Christopher Tolkien edited that stuff out of the Silmarillion though.
I want to see Tolkien's language for Qlzqqlzuup and the rest of the Quylthulgs.
myshkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27, 2011, 12:41   #18
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

I find the Lonely Mountain parts of The Hobbit the most compelling. In case anyone had any doubt about how dangerous Smaug was:

Quote:
The horrible sounds of Smaug's anger were echoing in the stony hollows far above; at any moment he might come blazing down or fly whirling round and find them there, near the perilous cliff's edge hauling madly on the ropes. Up came Bofur, and still all was safe. Up came Bombur, puffing and blowing while the ropes creaked, and still all was safe. Up came some tools and bundles of stores, and then danger was upon them. A whirring noise was heard. A red light touched the points of standing rocks. The dragon came. They had barely time to fly back to the tunnel, pulling and dragging in their bundles, when Smaug came hurtling from the North, licking the mountain-sides with flame, beating his great wings with a noise like a roaring wind. His hot breath shrivelled the grass before the door, and drove in through the crack they had left and scorched them as they lay hid. Flickering fires leaped up and black rock-shadows danced. Then darkness fell as he passed again.
Old December 3, 2011, 00:37   #19
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

The bitter words of Turin to Mablung, on finding out that his wife was his sister:
Quote:
'Can I not, can I not, Mablung?', cried Turin. 'But why no! For see, I am blind! Did you not know? Blind, blind, groping since childhood in a dark mist of Morgoth! Therefore leave me! Go, go! Go back to Doriath, and may winter shrivel it! A curse upon Menegroth! And a curse on your errand! This only was wanting! Now comes the night!'
Old December 3, 2011, 22:38   #20
Antoine
Ironband/Quickband Maintainer

Antoine is on a distinguished road
Quote:
The bitter words of Turin to Mablung, on finding out that his wife was his sister:
Hurin was gnarlier than Turin anyway.

A.