Go Back   Angband Forums > The real world > Idle chatter

Old February 19, 2013, 19:30   #21
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by HallucinationMushroom View Post
Oh, that is good to know. I was considering playing a hc next, but I didn't realize you lost your items... that puts an extra sting in being demoted to default league. I don't play hc because I never really get a chance to focus on playing, and half the time I'm playing with one hand since I'm bouncing a baby, or a glass of scotch, or something like that.
Yeah likewise. JFTR I don't actually know for certain that you lose the items from an HC corpse, but I've not heard of any "corpse popping" mechanism to recover them, such as existed in D2.
Old February 22, 2013, 14:42   #22
HallucinationMushroom
Knight

HallucinationMushroom is on a distinguished road
I decided to play a hc templar, and naturally the game decided to immediately thwart me. Some random zombie on the beachhead drops an exalted orb, which immediately gets me interested in my regular Marauder again. So, after some suicidal experimentation, if you die in hc, you get booted to default, but retain all the stuff on your person and in your inventory. However, hc has its own brand new stash. Edit: Poor wording. hc simply has its own *permanent* stash, it doesn't change and acts just like the default league stash.

That being said, I was playing solo... so I don't know what happens if you are in a team, or pvp... I watched a few videos on youtube the other day and when their hc characters died all their junk got scattered on the ground.

Now that I've got a decent pile of currency, I find myself staring at the trade chat more than I do the regular game. This disturbs me. I never got hooked on multiplayer aspects to rpg's before... the only other multiplayer game I play with any regularity is Mohaa, where all I have to worry about is killing people, which seems much more natural than trading with them.

Last edited by HallucinationMushroom; February 22, 2013 at 18:13.
HallucinationMushroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2013, 01:13   #23
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Quote:
I decided to play a hc templar, and naturally the game decided to immediately thwart me. Some random zombie on the beachhead drops an exalted orb, which immediately gets me interested in my regular Marauder again. So, after some suicidal experimentation, if you die in hc, you get booted to default, but retain all the stuff on your person and in your inventory. However, hc has its own brand new stash. Edit: Poor wording. hc simply has its own *permanent* stash, it doesn't change and acts just like the default league stash.

That being said, I was playing solo... so I don't know what happens if you are in a team, or pvp... I watched a few videos on youtube the other day and when their hc characters died all their junk got scattered on the ground.

Now that I've got a decent pile of currency, I find myself staring at the trade chat more than I do the regular game. This disturbs me. I never got hooked on multiplayer aspects to rpg's before... the only other multiplayer game I play with any regularity is Mohaa, where all I have to worry about is killing people, which seems much more natural than trading with them.
Yeah I have to say, much as I vastly prefer this game over D3, I do miss the auction house. Being able to just browse what I want and pay for it (or not) was kinda neat. Trade chat feels pretty backward by comparison.

I can't get past Kole in Act 3 Normal. I mean I can, but not without dying repeatedly, so I'm not allowing myself to continue until I can kill him without dying. I think it's because I've gone for Iron Reflexes + Unwavering Stance - so I have about 50% DR but no evasion, and he one-shots me (I have about 450hp+es so he must be doing >900dmg per hit). I'm sure there's a strategy, just not sure what it is yet.
Old April 5, 2013, 04:29   #24
MadeOfBees
Scout

MadeOfBees is on a distinguished road
As a longtime Moria/Angband player and an avid Path Of Exile player, I have to say, this game rocks. Also if any of you need tips on builds or help progressing through stages feel free to add me. Ingame name is tramshed.

As for the game itself, you shouldnt bother speccing into any kind of damage boosting abilities at first, you can get them later. You will REALLY need the survivability once you hit the second half of cruel and later, especially as melee classes. They are adding some new melee support gems too which should make melee much more destructive soon.

Area of Effect - Gives melee attacks AOE
Multistrike - Makes a melee attack strick quickly three times, choosing a different target each time if possible.
MadeOfBees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2013, 11:40   #25
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadeOfBees View Post
As a longtime Moria/Angband player and an avid Path Of Exile player, I have to say, this game rocks. Also if any of you need tips on builds or help progressing through stages feel free to add me. Ingame name is tramshed.

As for the game itself, you shouldnt bother speccing into any kind of damage boosting abilities at first, you can get them later. You will REALLY need the survivability once you hit the second half of cruel and later, especially as melee classes. They are adding some new melee support gems too which should make melee much more destructive soon.

Area of Effect - Gives melee attacks AOE
Multistrike - Makes a melee attack strick quickly three times, choosing a different target each time if possible.
Hi - I'll definitely be in touch if I see you in-game (I'm magnate there too). All my melee builds are indeed suffering in late Cruel, so I have respec'd into lots of life and armour (though I hear that armour is vastly inferior to evasion, which seems a little unbalanced). Anyway, still loving the game.
Old April 5, 2013, 14:21   #26
HallucinationMushroom
Knight

HallucinationMushroom is on a distinguished road
I still play, but I'm really starting to question why. I've gone from soloing the entire campaign to partying up and farming ledge/fellshrine/sarn/docks with new characters, and skipping all that icky campaign content. To what end? I guess I play for that super rare good drop that makes me want to start over again, but more often than not I just save up my currency and buy what I want from all the grinding. Maybe I just need a super character... my marauder got very stale (if solid and survivable) once I completely respecced him after the skill tree update, and my pure physical bow user isn't nearly as good as the zappy zappy lightning arrow users I'm grinding next to.

I'm hoping the new skill gems are cool. Zeal and melee splash sound fun.
HallucinationMushroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2013, 22:13   #27
Starhawk
Adept

Starhawk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I still play, but I'm really starting to question why.
Yeah - I enjoyed it and beat the current content, but didn't feel the need to keep grinding away at higher difficulties. Probably will come back to it later this year to see what changes have been made (and start a new character).
Starhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2013, 00:25   #28
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starhawk View Post
Yeah - I enjoyed it and beat the current content, but didn't feel the need to keep grinding away at higher difficulties. Probably will come back to it later this year to see what changes have been made (and start a new character).
It's funny, it's never about the content for me. I'm happy to play the same content ten or twenty times over if the builds are different enough. So far I have a STR/armour dual-wielding duelist, a STR/armour two-handed marauder, a necro (minion witch) and a bow ranger. I have about ten more builds I want to try. In D2 I ran about 25 builds before I got bored; in Titan Quest I only ran about a dozen because the maps were fixed. Random maps make a huge difference to replayability, but repeating the content doesn't as much. In D3 I ran only two builds to the end because I hated hated hated the lack of stash and muling space - the content wasn't stale.

So far PoE is looking much more like D2's longevity than TQ's or D3's.
Old April 6, 2013, 09:25   #29
MadeOfBees
Scout

MadeOfBees is on a distinguished road
Much like angband, there isnt really an endgame, the fun is in making interesting builds and finding the occassional crazy piece of loot. Im currently working on a shield/damage reflect duelist.

EDIT: I just realized I cant remember if you can add people from thier account name or if you need to use the char name. Either way, the chars I play most are HAILSATAN, MadeOfBees, PokeYourEyeOut, and Meattrucker

Last edited by MadeOfBees; April 6, 2013 at 09:33.
MadeOfBees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2013, 09:39   #30
Narvius
Knight

Narvius is on a distinguished road
I often wonder whether I'm the only one who keeps on thinking up in-character names for characters. (well, obviously I'm not, seeing as how many of them are taken...)