Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > The real world > Idle chatter

Old September 20, 2013, 11:14   #11
Estie
Veteran

Estie is on a distinguished road
I ve tried it too (thanks for the link) and add my +1 to the annoying rpg talk around the campaign (though one line got me smiling...."pass the soda please - ewww its diet soda - who brought that ?").

It was fun up to now; I am level 10 and hit a hard ceiling. With my current items (deck) the only adventure thats unlocked seems impossible. Half a dozen tries, none of which were even close, and a bunch of lost gold from party revival. The guy who made a youtube vid of this encounter had vastly superior equipment and accordingly no problems. I suppose to go further its either pay for more dungeons and better rewards, to improve equipment, or wait a day and re-grind old dungeons, though the latter seems unlikely to yield enough of an upgrade.

For a trial version it was fun.
Estie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20, 2013, 17:48   #12
HallucinationMushroom
Knight

HallucinationMushroom is on a distinguished road
Hey Estie, can I bother you for a quick question?

Most of the times the dude told me to buy something with pizza, I sort of just, kept it. I've got like, 120 free pizza. When is the last time that you got "free pizza?". I think my last free pizza was the first special dungeon map, and the new miniatures pizza.

My characters are level 5... and noticed that if you buy mp starter decks, and the free multiplayer deck too,... those items just port straight over to campaign mode... which I thought was surprising. Some good items I'm thinking of sniping.

Last edited by HallucinationMushroom; September 20, 2013 at 17:54.
HallucinationMushroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20, 2013, 21:53   #13
bio_hazard
Knight

bio_hazard is on a distinguished road
Was looking forward to trying this, but after registering it fails to load anything after "checking server status". Tried both firefox and safari.
bio_hazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20, 2013, 22:46   #14
Estie
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HallucinationMushroom View Post
Hey Estie, can I bother you for a quick question?

Most of the times the dude told me to buy something with pizza, I sort of just, kept it. I've got like, 120 free pizza. When is the last time that you got "free pizza?". I think my last free pizza was the first special dungeon map, and the new miniatures pizza.

My characters are level 5... and noticed that if you buy mp starter decks, and the free multiplayer deck too,... those items just port straight over to campaign mode... which I thought was surprising. Some good items I'm thinking of sniping.
I cant recall any more free pizza after the ones you mentioned. I kept them all, but if I was to spend them, it would be on new dungeons I think. There are more available after the first. They net xp and (epic) items.
Old September 20, 2013, 22:51   #15
Estie
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bio_hazard View Post
Was looking forward to trying this, but after registering it fails to load anything after "checking server status". Tried both firefox and safari.
Quick search suggests it might be adobe flash player. Is it up to date ? Someone with same problem solved it by re-installing flash player.
Old September 20, 2013, 23:17   #16
HallucinationMushroom
Knight

HallucinationMushroom is on a distinguished road
Okay, thanks man!
HallucinationMushroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21, 2013, 01:02   #17
bio_hazard
Knight

bio_hazard is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estie View Post
Quick search suggests it might be adobe flash player. Is it up to date ? Someone with same problem solved it by re-installing flash player.
Thanks- I'll have to try that.

I was just realizing that the same friend who introduced me to Angband in 1993 also introduced me to Magic the Gathering a year or two later. While I rediscovered Angband 10 years ago,I hadn't touched MtG until this year when I made an impromptu purchase of the MtG 2013 IOS game. I've not played MP, but the single player campaign and quick games are pretty fun. You start with a few basic theme decks, and as you progress through the campaign you get more cards. Eventually if you get certain achievements or beat certain opponents you unlock more decks, which is fun, but then you have to proceed through the same campaign to unlock the extra cards, and eventually it got kind of tedious. There's a deck-builder game as well where you make the best you can out of random packs it gives you but it's kind of limited. The game isn't cheap ($10?) but you can definitely get a lot of hours into it without having to fork out any additional money.

Last edited by bio_hazard; September 21, 2013 at 01:12.
bio_hazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21, 2013, 03:27   #18
Philip
Knight

Philip is on a distinguished road
Do any of you have any idea why it keeps booting me from the server? It's annoying, especially in the middle of a fight.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21, 2013, 09:36   #19
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
I'm enjoying it a lot - thanks mtadd for the link. I'm old enough to have very fond memories of the D&D and AD&D modules it's spoofing (T1 The Village of Hommlet and B2 The Keep on The Borderlands are the first two obvious ones) - the old-style fonts and text are really well done. I'm really enjoying the nostalgic feel of it.

The game itself is a nice mapping of MtG-style deck building onto RPG loot hunting. I find the tactical battles more immersive than MtG duels (for the record I was an obsessive MtG collector, with every card ever produced up to the Time Spiral block), and I don't find the ancillary campaign/DM stuff irritating (yet).

I've only done the first half-dozen dungeons, so I'm a little disappointed to hear about what is effectively a cap on the free game, but I'll see if I have the same problem when I get there. So far the additional loot I would have got if I'd paid (which it helpfully shows you each time you loot a chest) is not superior to what I've found.
Old September 21, 2013, 15:26   #20
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estie View Post
I suppose to go further its either pay for more dungeons and better rewards, to improve equipment
I'm guessing that too. By "join club" you could have got a lot better equipment than without, but that is not cheap, far from it. Rather expensive IMO even for a lot better game. I guess game developers got greedy and this game will die and get forgotten.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote