Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old December 21, 2015, 04:49   #1
Egavactip
Swordsman

Egavactip is on a distinguished road
Early Christmas present

I am waiting for Father Christmas in town in a few days, but in the meantime Santa brought something early: Rael's Tome of Destruction on dungeon level 11 for my 13th level mage.
Egavactip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22, 2015, 17:33   #2
Egavactip
Swordsman

What Santa gives, the fat bastard takes away. My mage found Scarabtices soon after and this was very helpful, but he died soon after, ambushed by Kevlax from out of LOS with an apparent double move.

I have now had four mage characters die in a row, one in the end game and the other three in the death zone. My endgame character was really powerful but a few Plasma hounds got him almost immediately, it was like stun heavy stun knockout right away. I was shocked.

Kevlax also obviously shocked me. I was just moseying along and then all of a sudden You Die.

Last night a stupid black wraith killed my most recent mage. With like one HP left and ostensibly fleeing, he nethered me and my character dropped dead. I thought I had more HP than his max nether attack, so it came as a big surprise to find myself dead.

The remaining mage was killed by a berserker. I don't remember the details of that death, but it was not the unexpected surprise that the others were. Those deaths are the worst, because you have no time to mentally prepare for them. All of a sudden it's "Game over, asshole, don't you wish you had been playing windows hearts instead?"
Old December 22, 2015, 22:26   #3
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
This thread sums up so much about Angband
Old December 23, 2015, 17:29   #4
gglibertine
Adept

gglibertine is on a distinguished road
Today Santa brought me the Amulet of Ingw on DL1, followed by a Potion of Experience on DL11. I am become Death, destroyer of worlds.

I'm gonna leave him a bottle of Lagavulin with his cookies on Xmas Eve.
gglibertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24, 2015, 13:49   #5
PowerWyrm
Prophet

PowerWyrm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by gglibertine View Post
Today Santa brought me the Amulet of Ingw on DL1
In V4.0.4? I thought getting Elessar at 1000ft in comp 181 was incredibly lucky, but that's insane!
Old December 24, 2015, 14:43   #6
gglibertine
Adept

gglibertine is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerWyrm View Post
In V4.0.4? I thought getting Elessar at 1000ft in comp 181 was incredibly lucky, but that's insane!
I know, right? Followed by that Potion of Experience, which sent me straight to CL30. It was *awesome* while it lasted. What's even more insane is that I managed to die anyway. Due to my own carelessness as usual. I really suck at this game. Why do I love it so much?

Speaking of Christmas presents, shouldn't the Red-Hatted Elf I just killed in town have given me one? It *is* Christmas Eve, after all. And he hit me first!
gglibertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28, 2015, 20:51   #7
Egavactip
Swordsman

Oh, and now the next one has died, too, at the hands of a basilisk suddenly conjured by a ranger--something I had never ever seen happen before. The basilisk immediately spewed poison and I was toast, quick as that.
Old December 30, 2015, 18:19   #8
Egavactip
Swordsman

And killed again. By a gnome mage of all things. High elf mages are apparently not my forte. This is the worst streak I've had with a single race/class combination. I seem to be making a catalog of all the ways to die.
Old January 4, 2016, 05:09   #9
Egavactip
Swordsman

And killed again. By a dracolisk, of all things, WAY OUT OF LEVEL, lurking at the far end of a long dark corridor. One breath. You die. What the hell was that thing doing there, dammit. WizardBoy11 was 33rd level and was just starting to look good. This is the worst continuous run of luck--11 character deaths in a row--since I started playing Angband "seriously" (i.e., not save scumming). I've died in every way from stupidity to bad luck to bizarre circumstances. I am beginning to think I am jinxed with this race/class combination. My new year's resolution has got to be not to die.
Old January 4, 2016, 08:28   #10
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egavactip View Post
And killed again.... I am beginning to think I am jinxed with this race/class combination. My new year's resolution has got to be not to die.
I sympathize. Don't know what race/mage you are playing, but I usually lose at least two or three mages before I get one through. Most of the deaths on my ladder posts are mages, followed by priests.
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote