AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Development

Old August 1, 2011, 14:38   #11
Narvius
Knight

Narvius is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo Pietilš View Post
Every and all warrior-classes should exceed spellcasters in stealth at the end, beginning can be other way around.
Why? I always picture warriors as pretty noisy dudes.
Narvius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1, 2011, 14:43   #12
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narvius View Post
Why? I always picture warriors as pretty noisy dudes.
Skilled warrior is a stealthy warrior. Only beginner wannabe "warriors" are noisy.

I wonder if we could make "make noise" -command for really stealthy players to wake up things when they want to.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1, 2011, 14:54   #13
Therem Harth
Knight

Therem Harth is on a distinguished road
Somehow, I'm having a hard time imagining even the most skilled warrior sneaking around in a full suit of plate mail...

(And that's not considering how noisy the actual fighting would be. Steel on steel, anyone? I know, Angband Is Not Real Life (TM), but IMO serious stealth for anyone other than rogues and maybe rangers is kind of pushing things.)
Therem Harth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1, 2011, 15:18   #14
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therem Harth View Post
Somehow, I'm having a hard time imagining even the most skilled warrior sneaking around in a full suit of plate mail...

(And that's not considering how noisy the actual fighting would be. Steel on steel, anyone? I know, Angband Is Not Real Life (TM), but IMO serious stealth for anyone other than rogues and maybe rangers is kind of pushing things.)
Generally medieval combat armors are quite a bit lighter than heavy plate mail horseback knight armors. You can't really move in those kind of armors. I agree that heavy armor should weaken stealth (as I said in my previously).

Warrior is no different to ranger in stealth-requirements, only chosen method of killing is different, and if there is no "metal to metal" contact melee can be quite silent, especially if the killing blow is quick. In fact I think warrior should be more skilled than ranger on sneaking up on intelligent opponents and killing them silently. Rogue should be more skilled than either of those obviously, but paladins, priests and mages should have practically no stealth at all (that's not what they are trained to do), unless magically enchanted.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1, 2011, 15:18   #15
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Magic armor doesn't have to be noisy.

In any event, I thought this thread was for Buzzkill to try out some theorycrafting; there's no indication it'll show up in Vanilla anytime soon.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1, 2011, 16:51   #16
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
Magic armor doesn't have to be noisy.

In any event, I thought this thread was for Buzzkill to try out some theorycrafting; there's no indication it'll show up in Vanilla anytime soon.
But Buzzkill is the third or fourth person to express strong views about making changes to stealth. Fizzix has already offered some sensible changes to monster alertness (which will be in the first 3.4 dev version), and Jens has submitted a pull request with some interesting changes to stealth (but not as radical as Buzzkill's). These too will be tried in a dev version, once Jens has rebased the changes so I can merge them.

So how about jens, buzzkill, fizzix, Timo and anyone else who's interested thrash out some proposals for stealth here ... I'm happy to help code them up (though fizzix can probably do it without my help).

Oooh, capitalisation nightmare.

And let's not forget (or repeat) this thread.