Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Development

Old June 26, 2011, 21:47   #11
buzzkill
Prophet

Donated: $8
buzzkill is on a distinguished road
I've found deep decent to be uncommon compared to TL, but I'd support DD not being sold in stacks either.
Old June 27, 2011, 18:01   #12
EpicMan
Swordsman

EpicMan is on a distinguished road
Add a turn or two's delay to the Tlevel kicking in (like WoR, but only a couple of turns instead of 50 or whatever it is). So it's not an instant "Get out of Jail free" button, there are already plenty of those (*Destruction*, Banishment/Mass Banishment).
EpicMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2011, 18:07   #13
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Given how the game works, there's functionally little difference between a 1- or 2-turn delay and a 50-turn delay. Either you need the escape right now, or you can wait an indeterminate amount of time.

In other words, changing TL to have a delay would make it largely useless as an escape, just as WoR is largely useless as an escape.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2011, 19:12   #14
jens
Swordsman

jens is on a distinguished road
I think it's a great idea, and won't make it useless at all. OK, it might not be among the best escapes any more, but often you have a turn or two, at least in earlier levels. Say you need to get away from some monster that is quicker than you. When I use a WoR as an escpae it can be really intense, I am almost out of ?PD, I can take one more hit, there I used my last ?PD, I run into an unexplored direction, my nemesis will catch up with me in 3 turns, oh no another monster comes from the dark, check inventory, gah I'll eat that shroom and hope for the best. Recal, phew, calm now. Those escapes are good :-)
jens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2011, 19:59   #15
Derakon
Prophet

Yeah, but in earlier levels is when Teleport Level isn't available. Right now it's the escape of last resort for that very broad section between when Teleport becomes way too dangerous to consider using and when scrolls of Destruction become available. Much of that section includes "Oh crap, X appeared out of nowhere and summoned Y nasties; if I spend another turn here I'm dead."

Maybe everyone else is more willing to consider using the random Teleport than I am? I only carry staves of Teleport because in randart games pBlind/pConf generally aren't available, and they're the only usable escapes for that situation (well, and staves of Destruction, but again those aren't available for a long time).
Old June 27, 2011, 20:40   #16
Napsterbater
Adept

Napsterbater is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
Maybe everyone else is more willing to consider using the random Teleport than I am?
I don't think I've ever died from tele unless the casting or using failed. I usually have plenty of tlev or deep descent for the times when the level is absolutely unsafe for me to be in.
Napsterbater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2011, 20:55   #17
d_m
Angband Devteam member

d_m is on a distinguished road
I could imagine making teleport-level rarer and/or more expensive, and giving a very small timer to deep descent.

Nerfing single-turn escapes is something we'd have to try in a branch to see how playable it is.
Old June 27, 2011, 20:58   #18
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_m View Post
I could imagine making teleport-level rarer and/or more expensive, and giving a very small timer to deep descent.

Nerfing single-turn escapes is something we'd have to try in a branch to see how playable it is.
Except that a negligible number of people play branches so it would only really get proper testing once it was in a nightly ...
Old June 28, 2011, 03:02   #19
buzzkill
Prophet

Donated: $8
buzzkill is on a distinguished road
As much as I'm a proponent of making the game harder, I'd hate to see TL adopt a delay, even a single turn delay. I view it as a fail-safe escape and I think it works well in that capacity. It's just too readily available right now.

Now, deep decent, is another matter. It's (now) very nearly a carbon copy of TL (I liked it a lot better when it had WoR down functionality) and we don't need two of 'em. Since DD sells itself primarily as a way to get deep fast, rather than an escape, I wouldn't object to a delay being applied to it and/or making it a little more powerful.
Old June 28, 2011, 03:31   #20
Derakon
Prophet

If you don't want Deep Descent to be used as an escape, you could simply make it drop you 200' or 500' or something instead of just 100'. That'd really make you hesitate before using it.