AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > AAR

Old September 30, 2012, 16:32   #21
buzzkill
Prophet

Donated: $8
buzzkill is on a distinguished road
Level 11 - For Whom the Bell Tolls.

I reluctantly descend, once again, into the mists. Along the way I find a crudely drawn map, probably the artwork of a drunken orc. Aside from a path to the surface, it shows me little more than I can see myself as I squint to maximize my vision. I move south 20' and secure the stairs leading deeper. I continue south, swapping my dying torch for a new one along the way. It's not long before I see that this passage has suffered a cave in. It's completely blocked with rubble. My dwarven instincts are to tunnel, but I resist the temptation.

I'm moving north now, past an empty room. There's a locked door, but I can't open it. A short distance further and I can see that this tunnel too has caved in. I walk back to the empty room, my sword heavy in my hand, my footsteps echoing quietly throughout the cavern. Further south still, a long passage leads east and west, an empty room at either end. This this whole level is eerily devoid of life. My exploration had led me to be opposite of the first cave in I discovered. I clear the tunnel of debris as it will shorten my route back to my know staircase. I take a moment to erase the rubble from my map.

From the eastern branch, I head north. I'm victorious versus a fast moving rat-thing and a white dragon bat. A pink ant interrupts my rest, but only momentarily. Fully rested now, I head a few steps north and enter a room. Though I can't see it, I know that there is a rune of blood here, probably hidden in the cave painting in the northern alcove, as evidenced by the rooms bloody occupants, a rattlesnake and a hippogriff. The hippogriff deeply saddens me. It haunted me last level and I still have no way to deal with it.

I flee to the west, past the rattlesnake, suffering a poisonous bite in the process. The snake, though erratic, eventually follows me and, if my calculations are correct, should hinder the progress of Griffy. I move through winding passages, my accelerated pace making my torch reflect wildly off the damp walls. By the time I see Griffy again, I can tell he has lost a lot of blood. I'm surprised at his condition , but it's still not enough. A second later the Griff stops bleeding just as I recover my last HP. It's now or never.

Weighing my options, I choose the wand of magic missiles as my opening attack. I don't want to risk missing with an arrow. The missiles hit and are marginally effective, so are my blows. I've killed a hippogriff all by my self (kind of). I can hardly believe it. I return to the hippogriff's lair that I earlier fled from, killing the unusually tough rattlesnake along the way. I manage to master the rune of blood, but not before I'm given a severe cut. Now I realize why the griff was in such a weak state. This run of blood, it doesn't mess around. I try a mushroom, hoping it will halt the bleeding, but cannot discern any noticeable effects.

The cave painting also houses a secret door. I pick the lock and move through the door but instead of a small vault, I find a large empty room on the other side. My bleeding has still not abated, and I must quaff a CSW in order to help ease the pain and blood flow. It helps but a little. I return to the room of the blood rune to gather a tunic and check another door locked door. It's only then that I suddenly feel an evil eye upon me. A black aura tries to invade my being. I resit it's power and am surprised to see that it emanating from another rune, cleverly woven into the cave art. I must have missed it earlier. I rush to it, eager to disarm it before it can strike again, but I'm too slow and this time I cannot resist it's power.

A darkness descends upon my equipment. I can feel my armour turn cold upon my skin, my bow weaker in my hand. Worse yet, I cannot for the life of me make heads or tails of this dastardly rune. Instead I run to the door, pick the lock, and see that it's nothing more than a closet. I turn and traverse the runed room once again, heading north once again. I am cursed again, but my gear sufferers no further. I wonder briefly of what evil second curse bestowed. Once again I move north, this time past the large empty room into a darkened room. I have but one charge left in my staff of light so I explore the old fashioned way. I feel a table, and then a troll.

He follows me back to the table. I try and try and eventually manage to take a position on top of the table, but that time would have been better spent landing blows. No matter, the forest troll soon dies. The room leads nowhere. This whole area is dead. I backtrack and explore a couple of more predominately empty rooms using the last of my staff of light charges, find just a few silver pieces. I now must go all the way back to the east-west passage, and further west from there.

As I proceed the passage widens a bit and a cold hound dies to my blade. With it's death I feel more experienced and happily note that in addition to gaining a status level, I've also gained a second lore based escape. I see a room before me now, I few overgrown insects occupy it. As I sprinkle a beetle with arrows, I hear a familiar sound. The sound of footsteps heavily upon cheap veneer. I finish the bug, quickly cross the room and gather the two potions of CSW near it's corpse. Still, no one approaches.

The room's other occupant, an ant has awoken, and I use it for target practice while I wait and rest. Just as the ant is about to keel over, a troglodyte enters from the north. I fire a non-stop barrage of arrows, dropping both the ant and two trogs. I can see another in the next room, but can't draw a bead on him through the narrow connecting corridor. I move west and collect some mushrooms of blindness. I know they're useless, but they're great in an omelet.

My mushroom gathering moves me further from the passage and give the two remaining trogs time to enter the room. Another barrage of arrows, this time my seldom used flight arrows, and both lie dead. They have nothing of value on them, but when I search their home, I find a mithril wand of unknown enchantment. I'm moving quickly now, almost recklessly as I explore this area of the dungeon. The crude orcish map I started with is taking form, over half the paper filled with cubic rooms and narrow passes. I find another empty room to the north and a set of stairs leading deeper. I feel confident. Let's see where that takes me.

I soon find an unusually tough forest troll. He quickly turns coward, his last vision, a arrow shaft, it's tip dripping his own blood, protruding from the front of his chest, piercing shoddy leather armour. I attempt to rest a bit, but Ole' Stony, or maybe his twin, startles me. I retreat to a lit area to better deal him. Just as I draw my bow string and take aim at the golem, I notice something furry behind him, an owlbear. Defeating them both costs me some time and about ten arrows due to breakage, but Stoney seemed easier this time round. Maybe I've gotten better with my bow despite it's disenchantment.

I enter a green room to the north. I see a leprechaun and know I must kill him. My thoughts race at the prospect of acquiring his gold. As it turns out, he has no gold at all. His blinking about was magically annoying, thankfully it didn't last long. My second arrow pinned him down and the wand of magic missiles finished him off. Then came the horde of giant brown bats which I fell two at a time. A received a donation from some much missed, as of late, creeping gold coins and a scary blast end skewert gave it up with out much ado. As I tidy up the scene of the battle a bit, kicking bat corpses under bushes, making a souvenir money pouch from the leprechauns hat, I hear rustling sounds from the north. I envision bi-peds moving through bushes. I take position behind the lush natural cover and wait.

Two mages soon enter the room. I kill the first with arrows. The second, my guinea pig, becomes a victim of my previously unknown wand of stun burst. Throughout the fight they did manage to hurl a few elements in my direction, but I'm not that bad off. On the plus side, I piked up five powder vial of confusing. As I continue north, I drop a priest at range. It turns out he was a rich SOB. What, no vow of poverty? Shame on you. I find some red mushroom growing under a bush. I wonder what they do? In the course of my extensive time on this level I noted that there must be something in the mist that prevent monsters form spawning as areas I've cleared stay that way.

I march across the dungeon with ease and comfort now. I own much of this level and have to study my map to find new nooks to explore. The Duke will not be happy when he hears of this, if he hears of this. Finally I come to a door. I pick the lock and am accosted my a harmless skeleton and a pink frog. This was not unexpected. I imagine they've been waiting to die for quite a while. The battle went well and having but a flesh wound gave me an opportunity to test my new red mushrooms. They're tasty, but I can't tell their purpose. I end my time on the level cleaning out a series of small rooms, each containing a few gold pieces, one held some shiny gemstones. That's a first.

As beat I can recall, this is the first time I've entirely cleared a level. I'm feeling good about my progress but am just starting to run a little low on arrows. I call upon my knowledge of lore to identify my red mushrooms as of cure confusion. I still don't know what the verdant mushrooms do. I burned through almost an entire torch on this level. I'm looking forward to the next.

BTW, It Tolls not for Me.
Old October 2, 2012, 02:18   #22
buzzkill
Prophet

I follow the stairs to level 12, a found dwarven map, the best type of map, reveals to me much of the dungeon near to the stairs. An orc legionnaire shares my space. He's obviously here to guard the staircase, but he naps in the corner behind the a bush. I try to find a some cover from which to fire my bow. I've yet to deal with a orc of this stature and am unsure of how I'll fare against him. At the same time, I see that my map indicates what appears to be a chain of small treasure rooms just to the south. Distracted by the lure of gold, I pick the locks and collect three separate bounties. As I reemerge, I can see that nothing has changed. This orc is a in deeper slumber than I anticipated. I move on, supremely confident that if he awakes, I'll hear him coming.

I proceed northwest through a jagged passage. I pick some garnets from the floor and discover another tiny vault. I hold over 150 gold pieces now. The passage turns now and heads due east. I see a disembodied eye, stationary in the room before me. The tunnel is so narrow that I must approach it before I can fire, but before I can secure a firing position a mirkwood spider scuttles toward me with great speed. I'm bitten several times before I lay it to rest. I retreat to my tiny vault and lock myself in. I rest.

Oh shit! I thought I'd be safe in here, but that's not the case. Sometime after the poison subsided but before I was really well rested, something splintered the door. Luckily this vault has two exits, and I've already mastered both. I unlock the other door and step through, fully prepared to slam it closed, but my pursuer is too fast. It's another damn spider and it's already upon me. I try to hit it with a vial of confusing, but to no avail. I'm forced to fight with my sword and do manage to send it scurrying away. I shut and lock the door and focus on my recovery.

I find myself in a small secondary vault. Not what I expected, but entirely predictable given hindsight. I'm contemplating quaffing a CSW to ease the poison, and as I mull over the items in my pack I see the verdant mushrooms. I try one and am delighted to see that I am immediately poison free. I swap my torch for a fresh one and await the return of the spider. It's not until I'm fully recovered that I open the door. Damn it! There's two of them now.

With no wiggle room, I pull a heavy iron tipped arrow from my quiver. It solidly pierces one of the beasts. I drop one with my sword but the other is strong and soon I must phase away. I land near the floating eye. I quickly quaff a CSW and destroy the eye with arrows. Already white wolves are filing into the room and it won't be long before I'll have the spider to deal with as well. I drop the first wolf at range but a second is upon me and I can see at least 4 more. I am very weak and can't win this fight.

I shift through the faery realm and this time I land where I intend to, near my happy place. At about this time the legionnaire whom I left napping earlier awakes. I riddle him with arrows. As tough as he is, I only manage to turn him seconds before he reaches me, and that's just about when the first wolf arrives. I try to fight it, but I am still too weak, and to make matters worse theres something I can't see, something invisible. It's attacks me and poisons me as well.

Very near death, I attempt another escape, a shift through the faery realm. I visualize my happy place, my staircase. It's so close I can see it without even peering through the realms. Because I'm already in the room as my intended destination, I'm not sure how well this will work, but I have no choice. I re-materialize just 10' or so from the stairs. I can see that the wolves are already aware of my new location. I make it to the stairs and quaff a CSW. The nearest wolf now just a step away. I fire an arrow and miss. I swing and miss. My arrows are everywhere. They litter the room like midget elves at the north pole. I want to collect them, especially the iron tipped ones, but can stay no longer. I ascend the stairs and find my way back to town.

My arrival in town is shockingly hostile. I'm surrounded by not one, not two, but three evil inhabitants. No sooner do I take a step than a number four appears from around a corner. Now as if on cue, they all move toward me. I quaff another CSW and focus on my fencing thankful that I'm still able to do so. My first arrow only grazes the priest, but my sword drops him in short order. Another arrow drops the second attacker, a spellsword, and my blade makes short work of the third, a mystic. It's one on one now and though I decimated his friends, he's not afraid. I notch a arrow and it penetrates my final attacker. He bleeds out a moment later. I collect my arrows and an oily yellow potion for my troubles.

I head to the temple first to buy a greatly needed scroll of remove curse. By simply removing and discarding my cursed armour I feel as though I am better protected. I'm also now able to shed the cursed amulet of infravision. By the time I'm done shopping, I've not a copper to my name. In replenishing my armour, I grab a spare pair of boots from my home, but had to buy a new cloak. My purchases consist of two potions of CSW, three scrolls of phase door, a wooden torch (the only one for sale), a potion of cure disease (on sale) and about 50 arrows.
Old October 3, 2012, 02:48   #23
buzzkill
Prophet

Level 13. I arrive in good spirits, having mapped myself a way back out of here. A nearby treasure rooms yield 14 gold, at least that's the portion that I'm allowed to keep. Just to the south, there are stairs leading deeper. A jagged passage leads northeast. An encounter with a rattle snake turns perilous when an earth hound and then a stegocentipede join the fray. A powder vial of confusing buys me all the time I need with the stego, but the hound is relentless. As my situation worsens, I'm forced to shift back toward my happy place.

I draw upon my health reserves and heal some of my wounds. It's no surprise when the wounded earth hound tracks me down, but there's now time and space to use my bow, and the hound dies predictably. Since I have no other option, I head back toward the area guarded by the stego. When I get a chance I turn and head west, and just when I think that I'm in the clear a tengu summons me. My new location is east of where I was, the very area I was trying to avoid, and the stego is now just a few feet away. It was foolish to even try to fight, but I did. When events turned against me, I once again shifted away. I was hoping for my happy place again, but it was not to be.

I landed in a lit room due west of the stairs. A wide swath of granite separates the two. There seems to be no way to get back to the stairs now., and even if I could, they'll remain guarded by both of my adversaries. Those stairs are dead to me . I try to rest, but a light hound enters the room, followed by another, then a cold hound, and another. I drop the first with by bow and the second with my blade, but they keep coming. When it gets to the point that I can take no more, I read a scroll of phase door and run toward the northern exit and into unknown territory. With limited hit points remaining, the marginal breath attacks of the hounds are now becoming a serious issue. My situation is fast becoming deadly.

My luck gets even worse, if that's possible, when the route I choose leads me south, back to the hounds. I'm surrounded. I have to phase again. I reappear, still within the room. I'm no longer surrounded and can flee to the south, just barely. The hounds are tight on my heels as I exit the room and continue straight down a corridor. I'm amazed at my continuing bad luck. A hippogriff now looms before me, blocking the narrow passage. With my health in the single digits, I see no real way out. In desperation, I hit the hippogriff with my wand of stun burst. A moment later I lose consciousness briefly, brought about by a gaping wound to the head.

As I somehow wake from what was surely a brief visit to the afterlife, I spring to my feet. I find myself still surrounded, but ready, willing and able to fight...so I do. With no means of escape, I'm now possessed by a rage no man nor dwarf has ever known. I lay into the stunned hippogriff relentlessly with my sword, beating it into the ground, my sword swinging frenzy killing off a hound or two in the process. With the passage ahead of me finally clear, I rush forth into a pitch black room. As I traverse the darkness, I silently curse the hounds at my back. Moving west across the room, my torch illuminates something reflective upon the ground, not gold or silver, but a wand.

I grab it and aim the wand at the first hound, not knowing what will happen. A lightening bolt, instantly spreads the gap between us and severely burns it. Again and again I unleash the powers bound within the wand. Hound after hound dies, but my skill with this wand is far from perfect and soon the last of the hounds is upon me. It's a light hound, bloodied but still hungry. It's now that I, sensing imminent victory when none was previously possible, place my life, my complete faith in the steel of my longsword. I swing mightily. I miss. My sword has failed me. The hound retaliates, tearing into me, leaving me at deaths door.

I have no reserves to call upon. I have no faith, no reason to live. Subconsciously I point the wand at the hound. It has carried the battle and finding it when I did was nothing short of divine intervention. Without even realizing it, I activate the wand at point blank range. Lightening crackles, a renewed, stronger scent of singed hair permeates the air, but the hound doesn't lie still. Instead it flees. Although I don't recall exactly, I must have, at this point, fired an arrow at the limping hound. How I missed, I'll never know.

Had I not been all but dead already, I would have laughed off the light hound's feeble breath. However, I could take no more. The weak yellowish light, hardly bright enough to cast a shadow upon the nearby wall, washed over my body like a nearly imperceptible wave of force, draining my last ounce of resolve. A tiny finger of light prods. It's gentle nudge, I cannot resist. That's all it takes. My body, no longer able to sustain it's own weight, drops to one knee, then lists forward. Dazed, I hear the sound of my sword echoing against the dungeon floor unaware that it has even left my grip. My arms fall limp at my sides. They make no effort to break my fall. My skull smacks the stone floor with a depressing thud.