AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Development

Old November 19, 2012, 22:45   #1
buzzkill
Prophet

Donated: $8
buzzkill is on a distinguished road
Pac-Man Vault

Hope this hasn't already been done. For public consumption and/or modification.

Code:
N:xx:Pac-Man
X:7:5:23:21
D:#####################
D:#XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX#
D:#X..&&&,..X..,&&&..X#
D:#X9XX^XXX^X^XXX^XX9X#
D:#X^....^&...&^....^X#
D:#X.XX.X.XXXXX.X.XX.X#
D:#X&..^X...X...X^..&X#
D:#XXXX.XXX.X.XXX.XXXX#
D:####X.X^*^@^*^X.X####
D:%XXXX&X^XX+XX^X&XXXX%
D:%^^^^&&^X888X^&&^^^^%
D:%XXXX&X.XXXXX.X&XXXX%
D:####X.X.*****.X.X####
D:#XXXX.X.XXXXX.X.XXXX#
D:#X*..^X...X...X^..*X#
D:#X.XX.XXX.X.XXX.XX.X#
D:#X9.X.^..&9&..^.X.9X#
D:#XX.X.X.XXXXX.X.X.XX#
D:#X....X...X...X....X#
D:#X^XXXXXX^X^XXXXXX^X#
D:#X.,&,&,.*^*.,&,&,.X#
D:#XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX#
D:#####################

Last edited by buzzkill; November 19, 2012 at 23:32.
buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19, 2012, 23:12   #2
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
You need to use '.' instead of spaces for empty spots in the vault. Otherwise, good idea!
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19, 2012, 23:57   #3
fizzix
Prophet

fizzix is on a distinguished road
I love it. I hate the current V dungeon generation algorithm. Here's why. Medium and lesser vaults are forced to maximum height of 22. GVs can be 33. The vault would have to go into the GV unless we were able to trim it by one level (which I doubt can be done), or turn it sideways (which feels wrong). So I think we have to make it into a GV, which probably means adding some more monsters and treasures?
fizzix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20, 2012, 01:38   #4
buzzkill
Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzix View Post
I love it. I hate the current V dungeon generation algorithm. Here's why. Medium and lesser vaults are forced to maximum height of 22. GVs can be 33. The vault would have to go into the GV unless we were able to trim it by one level (which I doubt can be done), or turn it sideways (which feels wrong). So I think we have to make it into a GV, which probably means adding some more monsters and treasures?
Have at it, unless we can just remove either the top or bottom row of granite (I've no idea how connectivity works). The only thing I'd really like to stay are the extreme OoD monsters in the center box.
Old November 20, 2012, 06:22   #5
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
You might possibly be able to remove the entire granite border and only have two % symbols on the left and right sides.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20, 2012, 14:08   #6
fizzix
Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
You might possibly be able to remove the entire granite border and only have two % symbols on the left and right sides.
I'll give it a shot. I'd much prefer a new Medium vault to a greater vault. We need more medium vaults.
Old November 20, 2012, 15:08   #7
debo
Veteran

debo is on a distinguished road
We also need to modify it so that if I walk out one side of the vault, I will wrap around and re-enter from the other side

Also, where are my power pills in the corners???? Would be cool if you could pick one up, eat it, and have all the monsters in the pit turn into Snagas or something for 100 turns!!
debo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20, 2012, 16:58   #8
Nomad
Knight

Nomad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
Having a limited number of % connection points seemed to work fine most of the time when I was testing out the templated rooms, though the generation process did occasionally break a granite wall when it couldn't get to any of them. Not sure how it's set up to handle that case when it comes to connecting vaults and/or permanent walls, though.

Looking at vault.txt, I note that the "Turnabout" and "Central" lesser vaults have borders of # granite rather than % connection points (which I'm not sure is actually intentional) and I'm pretty sure I've encountered some of those in-game that were disconnected from the corridor system.
Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20, 2012, 17:08   #9
fizzix
Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
Having a limited number of % connection points seemed to work fine most of the time when I was testing out the templated rooms, though the generation process did occasionally break a granite wall when it couldn't get to any of them. Not sure how it's set up to handle that case when it comes to connecting vaults and/or permanent walls, though.

Looking at vault.txt, I note that the "Turnabout" and "Central" lesser vaults have borders of # granite rather than % connection points (which I'm not sure is actually intentional) and I'm pretty sure I've encountered some of those in-game that were disconnected from the corridor system.
It should work. Just because the vaults don't have the % (indicating pierceable walls) surrounding them, doesn't mean the algorithm won't try to connect it up. It will. It will just bring the tunnel up to the granite wall and stop. Tunnels don't try very hard to connect to the pierceable sections, currently. They sort of half-ass it. (I hope to do a better job in pyrel generation, but it's not an easy problem)
Old November 20, 2012, 21:04   #10
buzzkill
Prophet

If you get this working, I wouldn't mind seeing a few screen shots of what it looks like in game (at least one w/32x32 tiles), since I'll probably never see it in a real game.