AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old February 8, 2020, 05:31   #21
Sphara
Adept

Sphara is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishy View Post
Thanks for all the help! The Phoenix reduced my evil little hobbit body to ashes. But I am ready to start again! Seem Hobbit Necro is not a very popular choice according to the Ladder.
Do I need to save any weapons that are purely melee focused for latter game maybe? I was doing to much collecting, I feel. It was commented that I should save Theoden for the constitution bonus for Morgoth at the end.
Was also wondering if there are any light sources of darkness (haha)?
Condolences. Phoenix is very nasty and starts appearing relatively early in the midgame.

As for the info you received about Theoden, the guy who told you it should be saved against Morgoth for CON bonus, either wasn't a very good player or was pulling your leg. Or there was a misunderstanding.

Theoden is heavy and low-damage weapon that 1) gives extremely important Telepathy and 2) tends to appear early.
Con bonus is nice but has nothing to do with the fact that you should actually carry it. Many people carry it as a switch weapon to get Telepathy usually to the point they find another Telepathy item. In which point Theoden is usually discarded. To carry it down to the last dungeon levels is unheard of.

Oftentimes I even feel a bit annoyed when I find early Theoden, even though it's a good drop if you don't have Telepathy. Always thinking like "Oh, geez! I have to lug this heavy thing around again!"

There isn't a light source of Darkness but there is an item called Lantern of Shadows. It gives same light radius as a normal lantern, but can be used by a necromancer without light penalties and gives either +1 or +2 to stealth.

Last edited by Sphara; February 8, 2020 at 05:40.
Sphara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2020, 06:18   #22
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphara View Post
As for the info you received about Theoden, the guy who told you it should be saved against Morgoth for CON bonus, either wasn't a very good player or was pulling your leg. Or there was a misunderstanding.
Well all true. Though for comparison:

http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=22977

I put up with +light for that much con on the weapon, I would of been more then happy to use Théoden. Necromancer doesn't need a weapon that does melee damage to fight Morgoth, unless for some reason you decide to melee him anyway.
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote