Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old December 11, 2021, 15:07   #1
schlosrat
Rookie

schlosrat is on a distinguished road
Ungoliant = unbeatable?

This may be a dumb question, but what's up with Ungoliant? As a clvl 50 ranger with artifact bows and branded mithril and seaker arrows every one of my shots is "ignored". Every single one. I've got all sorts of branded ammo, but nothing even touches her. Not Slay Evil (which she certainly is), not Fire, not Frost, and, well, obviously not Venom. I wouldn't expect Slay Dragon or Slay Demon to be particularly useful, but seriously, what gives?

I may be able to take her if I can get her in an anti-summoning tunnel and am willing to burn through the supplies. I'm already at a point where ring wraiths are not a problem when I can take them that way. But Ungoliant and Ancalagon are two I just TO if I see them. I have no clue what to do with either, and Ancalagon will slaughter me if I let him get close and stay there. These two make me hesitant to consider taking on M.
schlosrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11, 2021, 15:45   #2
judias
Rookie

judias is on a distinguished road
Well, you said, the best option for some monsters is just TO away. If @ is strong enough you could battle them burning through your resources, just to be sure they donīt appear again, anyway they are not so dangerous as they can be easily avoided. For me top one dangerous uniques is wiruin as it is not detected by telepathy and it loves to appear in the worst moment and breath the exact element...
judias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11, 2021, 16:16   #3
Selkie
Swordsman

Selkie is on a distinguished road
The big secret to wiriun (who I also hate) is it doesn't move. That makes it very easy to ball spell of you abuse line of sight.

You have to make a decision with all the tough uniques (and I'd put the tarrasque at the top of the pile). Do I want to face them as well as Morgorth? The answer is generally no. I quite like killing uniques because I'm methodical and I like the high level loot drops
Selkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11, 2021, 16:32   #4
Thraalbee
Knight

Thraalbee is on a distinguished road
No need to kill Ungoliant but it is most certainly doable. She is not that lethal but pretty quick (speed 20) and most important, she has strong armour (AC 240) and 13 000 HP so it will be a long fight unless you are ridiculously op. Also, she is immune to acid and poison but slay evil and lightning and frost works. Finally she has a darkness aura that can be annoying.
Thraalbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11, 2021, 16:59   #5
Thraalbee
Knight

... only Morgoth has more HP than Ungoliant, and Ancalagon is #3 with 10 000 hp, so you certainly picked the tough ones
Old December 11, 2021, 17:04   #6
Grotug
Veteran

Grotug is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thraalbee View Post
... only Morgoth has more HP than Ungoliant, and Ancalagon is #3 with 10 000 hp, so you certainly picked the tough ones
You mean #4; Sauron has 10,500hp.

Ungoliant isn't too bad because her attacks aren't particularly dangerous. I usually remove Wruin from my games from the safety of hockey stick positioning.

@Schlosrat, what are the stats on your bow?

Detailed account of my Ironman win here.
Grotug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11, 2021, 17:19   #7
Thraalbee
Knight

I don't see that in the latest release.
I use this https://thraalbee.azurewebsites.net/monview/ but checked the lib/editfiles/monster file and it looks like 8000 to me
Old December 11, 2021, 19:47   #8
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Ungoliant has 13000 hp, so it will take a while. And yes she will ignore even branded ammo for quite a while. With verbose messages, you should also see "burn" and "freeze" messages (but no poisoning.)
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2021, 12:23   #9
schlosrat
Rookie

schlosrat is on a distinguished road
I spoke too soon - she's dead now.

I think maybe it was the RNG playing tricks with me - Each time I'd face her I'd keep getting messages that she was ignoring my attacks as I flung arrows at her. Seeing her advance and bread really annoying blockers while her health bar stayed green and unaffected by my shots just rattled me so I learned to just TO her on sight. This last time she surprised me in a large room and I had a good stack of lightning arrows as well as some fire, so I finally noted my shots hitting. This time I TO'd her minions and just kept letting her have it. By the time it got to melee she was down to about 1/3 health. The whole fight sucked up fewer resources than I'd thought it would - I just needed to man up and face her.

I'm shooting with Belthronding (x3) (+20, +22) <+3 DEX, +1 stealth, +1 speed, +10 shooting speed>

i'm swinging the Great Hammer of Aule (18d1) [+5] <+4 WIS, +8 tunneling> - so it's got Slay Evil and is branded with acid making it less than optimal for this particular fight but great overall.

My STR and DEX are ***

Now the Terasque and Ancalagon I'm still running from - not sure how to take them on.
schlosrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13, 2021, 06:28   #10
ewert
Knight

ewert is on a distinguished road
As ranger, the cheesiest way to kill non-tunnelers is a diagonal what I'd call archery practice tunnel. Basically you tunnel diagonally about 10, then one to the side, creating the hockeystick LoS abuse trick for the whole duration the mob is approaching you. Create it in a far away location, create the same hockey stick on the other side, phase door, rinse repeat ...

If you are careful and not surrounded, just a diamond tunneled (positions 2468 tunneled in a "numpad" pattern) and overspeeding (haste on you slow on them) will let you eventually whittle them to death as well, pillar dancing works with bows well as a single shot takes less energy if you have multi shots. However, with some breathers you will risk any arrows on the ground.

There is cheese tactics in the game that kinda tend to be needed to fight with some classes, unless you are willing to splurge on consumables.
ewert is offline   Reply With Quote