AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > AAR

Old December 15, 2018, 05:44   #61
petvan
Rookie

petvan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grotug View Post
@petvan Wearing the gloves of combat probably not worth the aggravation. Generally those gloves are reserved for the final fight if you need to get your damage up and haven't found other high damage gloves, or you are already wearing a super-powerful item that aggravates, in which case you might as well wear the gloves of combat.

&;&;&;&;&

After picking up a short bow of power I started diving more aggressively using the find stairs spell. Through magical means I learned of some fire hounds nearby so I was gonna leave the area, but decided I'd try to grab my arrow in the hallway they were about to come up and they breathed on me. I retreated around the corner with still 27 health or something and decided it was time to quaff one of the 5 potions I picked up on DL14 and had inscribed with "curing potions". I mean, what else could they be at that depth? I drank and found myself moving slower and somehow didn't die. So I drank a cure light wound potion and died the next turn. <YASD>
OMG.. totally missed the gloves had aggro!!!! Wondered wtf happened to my stealth and if it was just being really deep... no wonder it got harder! Had no gloves for ages and was just excited to see those.. only now noticing the aggro since you pointed it out.. meh.. YASD prob!
petvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15, 2018, 07:45   #62
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Petvan
While the gloves did indeed cause the level to spiral out of control, there is nothing fundamentally wrong with using them. However, there were other problems with that character:
1. Allowed more than 2 powerful monsters into LOS
2. Had terrible HP, wearing Ring of Strength instead of Ring of Constitution(???? Why?)
3. Relying on staff of Teleportation at depth 96. Use scrolls in desperate stands like that one. Teleportation is pretty dangerous in any case at that depth. Teleport level and destruction are far more reliable.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16, 2018, 00:06   #63
AndyS
Scout

AndyS is on a distinguished road
Yes Ive learned to love those teleport level scrolls. Reminds me of a question I had about them and I dont want to open a new thread just for that as Im sure it's been asked but I cant find it.
What happens if you try to use one on 99 and you havent defeated Sauron?

edit changed 98 to 99, wasnt thinking straight

Last edited by AndyS; December 16, 2018 at 01:40.
AndyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16, 2018, 01:06   #64
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
Yes Ive learned to love those teleport level scrolls. Reminds me of a question I had about them and I dont want to open a new thread just for that as Im sure it's been asked but I cant find it.
What happens if you try to use one on 98 and you havent defeated Sauron?
The game is smart enough to make sure you can't go deeper than level 99 without killing Sauron, or deeper than level 100 without killing Morgoth. If you try to teleport level past them, you'll go up instead. If you have forced-descent turned on then you just can't teleport level, instead.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16, 2018, 01:36   #65
AndyS
Scout

AndyS is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
The game is smart enough to make sure you can't go deeper than level 99 without killing Sauron, or deeper than level 100 without killing Morgoth. If you try to teleport level past them, you'll go up instead. If you have forced-descent turned on then you just can't teleport level, instead.
Didn't think it would let you past, you guys are smarter than that. Just wondered what actually happens, cheers. Havent tried forced descent yet, I think ill turn that on next game. And maybe randarts Im still not een sure what they are but there is plenty of info, Ill read it first. I think I can win the game Im playing but Ive been wrong every other time Ive thought that.

I still have a character in another game parked on 99 but got tired of scumming that level for a weapon that would give me a chance. And was too chicken to try with what I had, it being the first time Id beaten Sauron or even approaching that depth. Felt it would not have been as satisfying to win my first game by just staying on 99 forever until i got the right drop. This is the first time Ive ever had Nenya so thats been a big help. Not to mention 5 TO rods, having 5 of those almost seems like it would require incompetence to die, at least so far, not on 100. Im at 82 and just going to make do with what I have or collect from here, grow a pair and take the plunge. I found Sauron a piece of cake last time, I may have been lucky with his attacks. But the few rounds i tried with Morgoth were futile, would have been sure death.

But this thread isnt about how we survive (sorry) but how we die. I'll post that here if I lose and figure out the ladder if I win.
AndyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16, 2018, 16:20   #66
Grotug
Knight

Grotug is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
[snip]

Not to mention 5 TO rods, having 5 of those almost seems like it would require incompetence to die,

[/snip
Not incompetence, but the seemingly surprising confluence of several undesired events: TO fails three to five times in a row; during which time you fail to notice your speed wears off, during which time Huan and Ancalagan the Black get summoned. At which time, you make another post in here. I don't make this stuff up. It always amazes me how I can have such a nice string of superb luck, where TO always works, where monsters don't breathe, where ?phase lands me favorably, and then, without warning, without any indication things are about to go south real fast, the RNG suddenly flips a switch, the bottom drops out, and the dungeon turns against me faster than I can say what in the bleedin' walls just happened?

No mistake, you are correct in realizing just how powerful 5 rods of TO is. Of all the objects in your inventory, it's probably the most important one, especially when it reaches 4 or 5 in number. But bad luck has an uncanny way of sneaking up on you when you least expect it and killing off insanely powerful characters. It's almost as if the dungeon knows to just keep making things go your way until it senses your guard is down, your confidence is overbubbling, and then, without warning, the rebalancing of the RNG unloads all at once, with such swift and unforgiving suddenness, in a single, malevolent strike, a perfect storm of simultaneous, unfavorable events that instantly brings the RNG back to equilibrium, and instantly renders another promising @ dead.

Which brings up another lesson in Angband, especially if you are crash diving: if you keep encountering lousy levels, and are not getting the things you need for the depth you're at; don't give up, don't lose heart. The RNG has something special for you if you can just hold on a little longer!