Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old July 4, 2018, 23:25   #41
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voovus View Post
It's a bit late, but would still like to raise an objection. The Moria/Angband universe is now a generation old and occupies a legendary place in the annals of @-kind.
I agree, on the whole. I'm not trying to go against Moria/Angband tradition just for the hell of it, but when it seems like it jars with Tolkien legend.

Quote:
I would not like to see half-elf, gnome and half-troll go from Vanilla.
If you look at my original post, I was actually intending to keep half-orcs and half-trolls, and was prepared to be convinced about half-elves.

Quote:
In fact, I'd rather see some things renamed back to the original. I miss my Mage's Guide to Power.
Was that a Moria book? Re-using old non-jarring names seems like a good idea.

Last edited by Nick; July 5, 2018 at 03:26.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4, 2018, 23:41   #42
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
I agree, on the whole. I'm not trying to go against Moria/Angband tradition just for the hell of it, but when it seems like it jars with Tolkien legend.
Angband is not a strictly-Tolkienian setting, though. It's always been a hodgepodge of whatever the devs at the time felt like inserting. Hell, it inherited plenty of non-Tolkienian things from Moria, like harpies, hippogriffs, giant lice, Holy Avenger weapons, etc.

I think the game benefits from a "just roll with it" approach to theme, rather than trying to hew closely to a particular setting. A strictly Tolkienian game would feel very different. How far exactly do you plan to go?
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2018, 03:25   #43
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
Angband is not a strictly-Tolkienian setting, though. It's always been a hodgepodge of whatever the devs at the time felt like inserting. Hell, it inherited plenty of non-Tolkienian things from Moria, like harpies, hippogriffs, giant lice, Holy Avenger weapons, etc.

I think the game benefits from a "just roll with it" approach to theme, rather than trying to hew closely to a particular setting. A strictly Tolkienian game would feel very different. How far exactly do you plan to go?
My emphasis

Again, I think the starting post of this thread gives a fair indication of the answer to your question.
Old July 5, 2018, 09:08   #44
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
Even FAAngband doesn't always hew specifically to Tolkien. Isn't one of the monsters even named for some annoying git the original developers knew, or is that just apocryphal?
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2018, 09:32   #45
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
You mean The Complainer? Yes. But that has nothing on Elemental Hounds, which have nothing to do.with Tolkien whatsoever. And all the different colored dragons are pure D&D.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2018, 12:53   #46
PowerWyrm
Veteran

PowerWyrm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingwe Ingweron View Post
Isn't one of the monsters even named for some annoying git the original developers knew, or is that just apocryphal?
That's Draebor.
Old July 5, 2018, 14:47   #47
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingwe Ingweron View Post
Even FAAngband doesn't always hew specifically to Tolkien. Isn't one of the monsters even named for some annoying git the original developers knew, or is that just apocryphal?
IIRC Draebor was named after a fellow student of the original Angband developers.

When I first released FA 0.1.0 in 2005 Sampsa Lahtonen sent me so many bug reports (signing himself The Bug Reporter or The Complainer) that I threatened to name a unique after him. Memories...
Old July 16, 2018, 23:30   #48
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
A suggestion with the biggest dragons. I understand why ancient dragons waste turns on junk spells but why do great drakes do the same? A great storm wyrm breathes 1 in 16? & wastes 3 in 16 on junk spells (could have those wrong). I'm not sure why you wouldn't want it going at the player in melee instead. You could fold a status effect into the breath. Electric-blind instead of cast blindness or similar.
wobbly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2018, 01:46   #49
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Because big elemental breaths are brutal to warriors (and big electric breaths are brutal to pre-heal-spell paladins.) Remove those junk spells and warriors will never fight wyrms without immunity (rather than just rarely do so.)
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2018, 03:24   #50
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
Just a thought, the fact that Angband is not "strictly" Tolkienien may be a saving grace from copyright infringement.
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote