Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > AAR

Old April 1, 2016, 23:19   #11
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Losing a tiny bit of damage is vastly offset by getting more double moves vs. Sauron. There is a 10% difference between +18 (Narya) and +25 (RoS +12)
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2016, 23:33   #12
StMicah
Adept

StMicah is on a distinguished road
Definitely! I plan to wear the =Speed in the final battles unless I find Cubragol or Feanor's boots; I'll just have to forgo Narya in that case.
StMicah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2016, 03:19   #13
StMicah
Adept

Just beat Sauron! I was focused on the fight and didn't bother to record any data, but it was a rather drawn out battle. Luckily, Sauron teleported a fair amount (five times) and let me (the player) rest and think before luring him back into my anti-summoning field. The plus to this was that I didn't use many ?Banish or ?MassBanish in the fight...just TO'd the summons that came into the corridor after Sauron high tailed it.

Sauron didn't leave much loot when he departed. Just, ironically, Anarion. However, I won't be using that in the next battle; gotta keep Haradrim.

And, I'm bad at maths...my earlier posts were calculated 10000 hitpoints, but alas, that's Sauron. Morgoth is twice as much. Yikes!
Old April 2, 2016, 14:37   #14
StMicah
Adept

I got lucky—found Cubragol. Since that (or Feanor's boots) was the missing piece of my kit for Morgoth, I figure it's time to finish this....last man standing, right?

I have a base speed of 27, 23 !Heal, 23 !*Heal, and 11 !Life, and a fair amount of both scrolls of banishment. However, my damage output will be either be 342 or 374: wearing Gorlim and Nenya gets 342.2, wearing Gorlim and both =Damage gets 374 but no esp. The difference is, with Nenya, I have to land 30 more punches (assuming Morgoth never recovers health).

I'm going to break for a bit and do other stuff—for one, I'd like be fresh for the long slugfest and, two, see if anyone has any final thoughts. My intuition is to don Gorlim, wearing Nenya and one +14 =damage so @ is aware of the summons.
Old April 2, 2016, 18:41   #15
StMicah
Adept

Morgoth is dead.

The fight was not as bad as I expected in part because of all the pots. I used 4 !Life, 17 !Heal, and 13 !*Heal; pretty much exhausted my ?Banish stack, and a few zaps of my heal rods after I TO'd him.

With the exception of the grind near the end for consumables and end-game equipment, this was a fun challenge but not one that I'll re-do anytime soon. I don't think I could have done this artifactless let alone egoless.
Old April 2, 2016, 18:57   #16
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
Congratulations! And I felt the same way, once it was done. A fun challenge, but not one I wanted to repeat anytime soon.
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2016, 11:27   #17
PowerWyrm
Veteran

PowerWyrm is on a distinguished road
Congrats.

Egoless artifactless challenge was just a joke. You would have no speed and no damage output for most of the game. So either you allow wands and get a massive supply of them, or it would be a very short challenge
Old April 4, 2016, 15:20   #18
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerWyrm View Post
Egoless artifactless challenge was just a joke. You would have no speed and no damage output for most of the game. So either you allow wands and get a massive supply of them, or it would be a very short challenge
I think Eddie (a.k.a. Powerdiver) managed to complete the egoless artifactless challenge in one version or another. It involved a lot of scumming, though: rings of speed, mushrooms of terror, whatever mushroom it is that makes you hungry (to avoid bloating from overeating), plus of course the requisite Power Dragon Scale Mail.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2016, 11:53   #19
PowerWyrm
Veteran

PowerWyrm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
I think Eddie (a.k.a. Powerdiver) managed to complete the egoless artifactless challenge in one version or another. It involved a lot of scumming, though: rings of speed, mushrooms of terror, whatever mushroom it is that makes you hungry (to avoid bloating from overeating), plus of course the requisite Power Dragon Scale Mail.
But I bet he used a MoD enchanted to +15 +15, and not mere fists
Old April 5, 2016, 17:52   #20
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerWyrm View Post
But I bet he used a MoD enchanted to +15 +15, and not mere fists
He used a mage, I believe, who carried a Blade of Chaos for the rChaos but didn't actually use it in the final fights to cut down on weight.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote