Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old December 11, 2014, 19:43   #1
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
Fists and the effects of equipment

After finishing MattB's grueling but fun challenge using only fists for damaging monsters, there are a few things I'd request for fists, after the recoding, of course .

1. Fists should have at least some chance of a critical hit. c.f., a shot to the kidneys, liver, throat, breaking ribs, etc.

2. Gloves that glow with flame, chill with frost, or drip with acid should cause some extra damage to unresisting monsters when striking with fists, even if they don't brand equipment with such damage.

3. Equipment that brands weapons (e.g., randarts) ought to give fists the same benefit. Imagine, fists of flame! Compare ?Monster Confusion, it works with fists, but brands don't...?
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11, 2014, 22:13   #2
debo
Veteran

debo is on a distinguished road
4. The occasional ATATATATATATATATATATATATATATATA!!!!!!!!!!
Old December 11, 2014, 23:24   #3
Estie
Veteran

Estie is on a distinguished road
Looks like the beginning of a monk class. Given that we have 3 red book, 2 green book and only 1 no book class, theres room for a magic less barehander.

Typically, this also involves armour restrictions like no metal armour and includes some kind of class benefits like additional attacks or so.
Estie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2014, 06:57   #4
Bogatyr
Swordsman

Bogatyr is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingwe Ingweron View Post
After finishing MattB's grueling but fun challenge using only fists for damaging monsters, there are a few things I'd request for fists, after the recoding, of course .

1. Fists should have at least some chance of a critical hit. c.f., a shot to the kidneys, liver, throat, breaking ribs, etc.

2. Gloves that glow with flame, chill with frost, or drip with acid should cause some extra damage to unresisting monsters when striking with fists, even if they don't brand equipment with such damage.

3. Equipment that brands weapons (e.g., randarts) ought to give fists the same benefit. Imagine, fists of flame! Compare ?Monster Confusion, it works with fists, but brands don't...?
Finishing? Did you actually *win* like that?
Bogatyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2014, 12:26   #5
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogatyr View Post
Finishing? Did you actually *win* like that?
Yes, I did..., but I don't want to repeat the experience anytime soon.

You can read all about it in the After Action Report http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?t=7074
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15, 2014, 00:31   #6
MattB
Veteran

MattB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingwe Ingweron View Post

I agree with all of these. It's not a question of balance, merely a question of...awesomeness!

Further, I think you should be able to use the <I></><a> command when unarmed. Not only would it be good to know your tunnelling ability when unarmed but, more importantly, it might show the inexperienced when unarmed combat does more damage than an alternative weapon (which is surprisingly often in the early game) in a more obvious fashion than the 'C' screen.
MattB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16, 2014, 10:18   #7
Zikke
Veteran

Zikke is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estie View Post
Looks like the beginning of a monk class. Given that we have 3 red book, 2 green book and only 1 no book class, theres room for a magic less barehander.

Typically, this also involves armour restrictions like no metal armour and includes some kind of class benefits like additional attacks or so.
I support all of this. Big fan of monks ever since D&D (barehanded, no armor, agility-based damage mitigation, multiple fast strikes).
Zikke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16, 2014, 14:41   #8
Nomad
Knight

Nomad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zikke View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estie View Post

I support all of this. Big fan of monks ever since D&D (barehanded, no armor, agility-based damage mitigation, multiple fast strikes).
I feel like monks should have inherent Stun Resistance, and maybe gain another ability at level 30 like warriors. I'd love to have another magicless fighter class, since I'm too melee-happy to be any good at keeping magic users alive.

Ideally, I think it would be great to have a total of nine classes: 3 red book, 3 green book, 3 no magic. I think there's room for more stealth and missile-focused classes outside of the red book casters. (Assassin, maybe: high stealth, no spells, crossbow bonus. And some sort of Druid class that gets only the healing/detection spells from the green books.)
Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote