AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old September 26, 2015, 02:39   #21
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by danaris View Post
Resisting time would essentially make you immortal.

Therefore, the only thing that should do that is The One Ring.
Well, there was that one guy who loaded up his Sonic Screwdriver as the principal "weapon" (though not a weapon). Then again, the game did crash....
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26, 2015, 18:13   #22
quarague
Swordsman

quarague is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antoine View Post
Well, but which monsters would have this attribute?

A.
Mostly time hounds and gravity hounds I would say

On a more serious note, I think the trouble comes from different frequencies of uses of TO. If you use TO on monsters that can easily kill you it becomes an interesting mechanic and for example means players will try to tackle vaults they would just ignore without TO. But if you have infinite TO available, people will tend to TO any monster that is even mildly annoying, especially while in a vault.
I think the proposal of TO only from wands with finite charges is a good solution here. This also has the consequence that nobody gets a 0% fail TO, meaning that for high level priests and mages using TO is inherently more risky than spells they might cast because it can fail.
quarague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28, 2015, 13:25   #23
PowerWyrm
Prophet

PowerWyrm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by danaris View Post
Resisting time would essentially make you immortal.

Therefore, the only thing that should do that is The One Ring.
In my variant, I've implemented the Space-Time Anchor effect from ToME. It makes you resist time and gravity, but prevents any form of teleportation. Perhaps makes you immortal, but could be fatal in dire situations.
Old September 28, 2015, 15:21   #24
Carnivean
Knight

Carnivean is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerWyrm View Post
In my variant, I've implemented the Space-Time Anchor effect from ToME. It makes you resist time and gravity, but prevents any form of teleportation. Perhaps makes you immortal, but could be fatal in dire situations.
Do you have any intention to have a non-real time, single player version of your variant? My biggest problem with variants is that they don't have the luxuries of modern V, but yours will be up to date with those soon.
Carnivean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29, 2015, 13:07   #25
PowerWyrm
Prophet

PowerWyrm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnivean View Post
Do you have any intention to have a non-real time, single player version of your variant? My biggest problem with variants is that they don't have the luxuries of modern V, but yours will be up to date with those soon.
Having a non-realtime version would mean to find a way to disable the realtime scheduler without having to re-code anything else. Otherwise, if you are having problems with realtime being too much a question of reflexes, you can simply play in realtime mode with a lower FPS. The default FPS is 75, which means a non-hasted character moves every half second in the Town. A FPS of 37 would drop that to a move every second.