Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Variants

Old March 28, 2013, 11:42   #11
Psi
Knight

Psi is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by scud View Post
HTML Code:
> You put on the Alchemist's Gloves of Maintenance.
> Oops!
> They feel deathly cold!
Love it
Psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2013, 14:58   #12
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
My thoughts precisely
Oh good, the telepathy is working again
Old March 28, 2013, 15:08   #13
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
To be fair, he already volunteered to be the release manager for 3.4, so he was basically 75% of the way there.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2013, 15:20   #14
fizzix
Prophet

fizzix is on a distinguished road
Well I did most of these changes months ago. My free time is going to be pretty much eaten, at least until January 2014.

That being said, the changes to vanilla have been light enough (barring some serious bugs that arose after some recent refactors that may need to be bisected out) that pushing out a v3.5 in the summer is a possibility (at the very least we have Nomad's special rooms as a significant addition).

What I have no interest in doing is arguing for the inclusion of certain things. That is a significant emotional drain and one that I really have no care for. But that's exactly what a maintainer really needs to do...
fizzix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2013, 17:30   #15
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzix View Post
Well I did most of these changes months ago. My free time is going to be pretty much eaten, at least until January 2014.

That being said, the changes to vanilla have been light enough (barring some serious bugs that arose after some recent refactors that may need to be bisected out) that pushing out a v3.5 in the summer is a possibility (at the very least we have Nomad's special rooms as a significant addition).

What I have no interest in doing is arguing for the inclusion of certain things. That is a significant emotional drain and one that I really have no care for. But that's exactly what a maintainer really needs to do...
With respect I think you've forgotten/neglected a very important distinction between a maintainer and a devteam. As a devteam each of us had to argue for what we wanted to change - not just with each other, but replayed in front of an audience here. That was a big part of the problem with a devteam.

A maintainer doesn't have to do that. S/he has complete freedom to make any changes whatsoever. If enough people don't like them, someone else will rise up with a "better" fork and usurp him/her. Otherwise they will stand long after people have stopped whining about them.

I look forward to 3.5 ;-)
Old March 28, 2013, 17:55   #16
Mondkalb
Knight

Mondkalb is on a distinguished road
I have been playing a little bit. Got loads of stuff on the first few levels, probably some more adjusting is necessary.
Could be a good starting point for new players maybe.

I found a ring of strength +1 on 50' and a there were some normal weapons on 50' and 100'. Then I got a hammer of fire and a hammer of *slay* demons with +1 int and rfire. I also got some staves and loads of scrolls.

Without the hammer and a lot of CMW! it could have been instadeath approaching a room with a horde of low level priests and a shrieking mushroom. That was a bit hard too early.

I also got leather armor with racid and a rod of slow monster.
Mondkalb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2013, 18:01   #17
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondkalb View Post
Without the hammer and a lot of CMW! it could have been instadeath approaching a room with a horde of low level priests and a shrieking mushroom. That was a bit hard too early.
Yep. Novice priests are the second-most-dangerous early group enemy, after novice paladins; doing any fighting in the company of a shrieker is also a recipe for disaster. Arguably you shouldn't have survived.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2013, 18:07   #18
Mondkalb
Knight

Mondkalb is on a distinguished road
... and a raven, I forgot to mention the raven ... ^^
Mondkalb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2013, 18:34   #19
HallucinationMushroom
Knight

HallucinationMushroom is on a distinguished road
I'll try and work in some playtime for this next week. I think it would be neat to play this while everyone else plays 3.0.6 for the competition. Others might need looking backwards, I need looking forwards. I need to learn what a Ring of the Dog is. I have no idea.
HallucinationMushroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2013, 18:45   #20
fizzix
Prophet

fizzix is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondkalb View Post
I have been playing a little bit. Got loads of stuff on the first few levels, probably some more adjusting is necessary.
Could be a good starting point for new players maybe.

I found a ring of strength +1 on 50' and a there were some normal weapons on 50' and 100'. Then I got a hammer of fire and a hammer of *slay* demons with +1 int and rfire. I also got some staves and loads of scrolls.

I also got leather armor with racid and a rod of slow monster.
when did you come across the hammer of flame? You shouldn't be finding those at 50'.
fizzix is offline   Reply With Quote