AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Variants

Old October 3, 2019, 15:20   #11
ShadowTechnology
Scout

ShadowTechnology is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by schatz View Post
Yes, that's what it does. It looks at all possible combinations that meet the minimal requirements. For each of these combinations, it naively does a sum of the attribute pluses and minuses of each equipment set and the equipment set with the highest sum is selected and presented as the solution.

That's usually not optimal at the start since the solution will favor equipment that gives the highest pluses and minuses, e.g. Rings of Archery, which might not be what you want. So you start adding more item exclusions and attribute constraints. For instance it was giving me too much stealth previously so I ended up specifying Sl <= 8 or increase other requirements like Sp until it gives you something that looks more reasonable.
I like it! It's not hard to figure out and it's very quick compared to manually scanning hundreds of wieldable items and testing combinations for "holes". My active character is CL50 but only at DL76 at this time. His home is a cluttered mess, but most of the attributes he wants in his kit are represented at least once. I expect the next 24 levels to yield even more artifacts (half randarts in this case) with even longer strings of abilities and bonuses attached to them. This is the part of the game where I usually get bogged down and spend as much time optimizing gear as I do exploring the dungeon.

I wanted to force @ to use a melee weapon 2-handed. I set Left Hand = 0 and this seems to have worked in that shields were no longer showing up in the mix. But I'm not sure whether the advantages of wielding 2-handed are being applied when selecting "the best" of those combinations that meet the minimal requirements. Am I doing this right?

Related question: Can I set it to only consider dual wielding combos (a melee weapon in each hand)?
ShadowTechnology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3, 2019, 16:54   #12
schatz
Rookie

schatz is on a distinguished road
Yes, that's precisely why I wrote this tool. It's meant for late stage of the game when there's just too many items in the Home inventory to go through to pick out the stuff to fit what I want. By the way, you can also look at the list of items the parser generated from the character dump file to look at items with a particular attribute, e.g. the list of all equipment with Sp attribute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowTechnology View Post
I wanted to force @ to use a melee weapon 2-handed. I set Left Hand = 0 and this seems to have worked in that shields were no longer showing up in the mix. But I'm not sure whether the advantages of wielding 2-handed are being applied when selecting "the best" of those combinations that meet the minimal requirements. Am I doing this right?

Related question: Can I set it to only consider dual wielding combos (a melee weapon in each hand)?
The solver is not aware of such things as what bonus you get with pure 2-handed wielding vs 1-hand and shield. That said, that's what I would do to get 2-handed wielding.

For dual wielding, set weapon == 2 and left_hand == 0. Alternatively you can just remove the left_hand slot constraint altogether leaving only weapon == 2. Let me know if that doesn't work for you.
schatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4, 2019, 16:32   #13
Kruzifixxion
Rookie

Kruzifixxion is on a distinguished road
yesterday it was working fine for me but today it keeps saying infeasible no matter what even if im just trying to do 1 pip of acid for my constraints
Kruzifixxion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4, 2019, 17:08   #14
Kruzifixxion
Rookie

I think maybe you should be able to delete character from the character list instead of the character page itself because my char just server error (500) so Im not able to delete it or add it again to try to figure out whats wrong

Even on a new acct it tell me the char already exists and to update it
Old October 5, 2019, 07:26   #15
schatz
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruzifixxion View Post
yesterday it was working fine for me but today it keeps saying infeasible no matter what even if im just trying to do 1 pip of acid for my constraints
I just had a look at the html dump file. The reason it says infeasible is two-fold:

1. There is a slot constraint of light == 1 but the parser was somehow ignoring the non-randart Feanorian lamp that the character is carrying and there are no other light items in your inventory or Home inventory.

2. The attribute constraint of Ac == 1 is the only attribute constraint that was set. For some reason that I don't currently understand, the solver requires that at least one of the attribute constraint to be '>=' or '<='. If all the attribute constraints are '==' in nature, the solver will fail. I am catching the failure now and added a message as follows:
Status: infeasible - please specify at least one Attribute Constraint as ">=" or "<=".
If all the Attribute Constraints are "==", the solver will fail to find a solution.
Just pushed the fix. Thanks for reporting the bug!
Old October 5, 2019, 07:51   #16
schatz
Rookie

Quote:
I think maybe you should be able to delete character from the character list instead of the character page itself because my char just server error (500) so Im not able to delete it or add it again to try to figure out whats wrong

Even on a new acct it tell me the char already exists and to update it
Added to the todo list.
Old October 5, 2019, 11:12   #17
Gwarl
Knight

Gwarl is on a distinguished road
Can you put this up into a public repo?

We spoke about this a little before on angband live, I have more time to spare now and can take a closer look. If it makes it onto the site as an integrated feature I'll be sure to credit you somewhere visible.
Gwarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7, 2019, 18:16   #18
Kruzifixxion
Rookie

I've been using it again the past 2 days and all seems to be working fine but I think I've found another bug, for some reason the weapon The Cutlass 'Mandible' (2d9) (+13,+6) {|CaV/U} won't show up in Optimiser

other than that it's been working great again & thank you so much for taking the time to make this it is amazing
Old October 8, 2019, 05:27   #19
schatz
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwarl View Post
Can you put this up into a public repo?

We spoke about this a little before on angband live, I have more time to spare now and can take a closer look. If it makes it onto the site as an integrated feature I'll be sure to credit you somewhere visible.
I will have to do quite a fair bit of cleanup (removing aws secret keys and the like) before I am able to put this up on a public repo. Unfortunately, due to personal reasons I don't have the time to look into this for now. Will add to the todo list.
Old October 8, 2019, 06:04   #20
schatz
Rookie

Quote:
I've been using it again the past 2 days and all seems to be working fine but I think I've found another bug, for some reason the weapon The Cutlass 'Mandible' (2d9) (+13,+6) {|CaV/U} won't show up in Optimiser
Bug should be fixed now.