Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
OK, the race is on now.
Old April 7, 2015, 14:05   #312
Raajaton
Swordsman

Raajaton is on a distinguished road
Wow new Angband and NetHack releases forthcoming. What a time to be alive!
Raajaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2015, 19:00   #313
fizzix
Prophet

fizzix is on a distinguished road
Didn't we already win this race a whole bunch of times?
fizzix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2015, 21:56   #314
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzix View Post
Didn't we already win this race a whole bunch of times?
Oh, burn.

Seriously, while I wish the NetHack devs the best of luck, the problems they're having are nicely indicative of how thankful we should be to Ben Harrison, and more recently Nick, for their efforts in keeping the Angband codebase clean and easily modifiable.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2015, 22:13   #315
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
Rivalry aside I'll be glad to see a new official version of Nethack. 'bout friggin time I'd say.
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2015, 22:29   #316
Nomad
Knight

Nomad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
Seriously, while I wish the NetHack devs the best of luck, the problems they're having are nicely indicative of how thankful we should be to Ben Harrison, and more recently Nick, for their efforts in keeping the Angband codebase clean and easily modifiable.
To be honest, while I'd love to see a new Nethack release (so much about the clunky old UI that frustrates me now I've got used to steady improvements in Angband), it does say something that as soon as I saw there was no date specified I immediately stopped believing anything was likely to happen within a timescale worth holding my breath for.

Many props to the Angband community for having kept everything in active, publicly visible development pretty much continually all these years.
Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2015, 03:13   #317
MattB
Veteran

MattB is on a distinguished road
Redraw is still not right, I'm afraid. Now I often get the
a)
b)
c)
etc.
after effects of menus lingering on the dungeon screen after the menu itself is gone.

Also, using Shockbolt (enable nice graphics), all of the 'tall' tiles leave multiple afterimages of their heads as trails wherever they go. Again, this is a redraw issue, I suspect.
MattB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2015, 11:49   #318
AnonymousHero
Veteran

AnonymousHero is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
To be honest, while I'd love to see a new Nethack release (so much about the clunky old UI that frustrates me now I've got used to steady improvements in Angband), it does say something that as soon as I saw there was no date specified I immediately stopped believing anything was likely to happen within a timescale worth holding my breath for.

Many props to the Angband community for having kept everything in active, publicly visible development pretty much continually all these years.
Seconded. These periodic announcements with promises, but no actual code releases and/or release dates have held back the variant Nethack variant creation for years and years. It's just about the worst thing you can do to a project, IMO. Hopefully, they'll get something out this time, but I'm not holding my breath. (Source: Roguelike Radio's Nethack episode.)
AnonymousHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2015, 12:51   #319
AndyHK
Rookie

AndyHK is on a distinguished road
Playing the latest version.

1) I have my UI option set to make Uniques appear as purple and in the main window they do, but not always in the monster list on the terminal 3 window; Ar-Phaazon the Golden shows as a Gold “p”, Saruman as a shimmering “p”, and Carcharoth as a shimmering “C”.

2) Pathing still seems weird for some monsters and in some circumstances, for instance in one save file I have Omerax the Eye Tyrant seems unable to move up two squares to chase me but nothing is blocking his path. I have a safe file if you want to have a look.

<EDIT> I don't know if this is an intentional change but Sauron was also hesitant to come after me in a similar way and wouldn't come near my anti-summoning corridor at all.

3) I was able to teleport (via Rift) a Great Wyrm of Many Colours into an anti-summoning corridor filled with Glyphs of Warding (so he landed on a Glyph and broke it immediately). The Wyrm then broke each one coming up the corridor toWards me. The message was “The rune of protection is broken! You have removed the Glyph of Warding”. I didn’t remove it, the Wyrm did.

4) I had an Assertion Failed/ Obj-pile.c semi-repeatable bug when I went to open a chest. It happened twice on the same chest but was ok after that. I haven’t had it since. No save-file (sorry).

5) Is something going on with the frequency of randart generation in the dungeon? I am now at c-level 50, hovering between d-level 97 and 98 to get consumables for killing Sauron and Morgoth. So far I have only found 10 randarts out of 113 (including 3 rings and, 4 swords, 1 axe, 1 pair of boots and Dragon Scale Mail). I have not seen any artifact lights, amulets or any others at all which from my experience with previous games on 3.5.1 I should have found quite a few by now.

Last edited by AndyHK; April 8, 2015 at 14:20.
AndyHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2015, 17:48   #320
fizzix
Prophet

fizzix is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyHK View Post
Playing the latest version.

5) Is something going on with the frequency of randart generation in the dungeon? I am now at c-level 50, hovering between d-level 97 and 98 to get consumables for killing Sauron and Morgoth. So far I have only found 10 randarts out of 113 (including 3 rings and, 4 swords, 1 axe, 1 pair of boots and Dragon Scale Mail). I have not seen any artifact lights, amulets or any others at all which from my experience with previous games on 3.5.1 I should have found quite a few by now.
We should be able to test this with stats. The problem is that with the new functionality in 4.0 stats is painfully slow to run. You don't notice it when playing, but you do when you generate levels repeatedly. Where I used to get 1000 sims in about 5 minutes on my laptop, now I can only get much fewer. (admittedly, I last checked this a while ago, so maybe things have changed?)

The plan will be to rebalance 4.0 against 3.5 to make sure drop rates are roughly the same. I'm not sure we're at the point where it's worthwhile to do that yet.
fizzix is offline   Reply With Quote