AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old June 8, 2015, 10:18   #421
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
There seems to be a minor ID issue remaining with DSMs - I just found a blue DSM early on in the game that turned out to be magical, and it's still got the {magical} tag inscription and "You do not know the full extent of this item's powers" even after I've learned the AC bonus. (Average DSMs appear to ID themselves correctly after the pseudo kicks in; not sure about egos.) This is in f59f9e5.
Ignore -flags? All DSM ignore all four elements. I'm not sure if they should get ID:t automatically though.

Also, shouldn't all DSM be at least magical? I don't recall finding any with +0 to AC in 3.5.1.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2015, 11:57   #422
Thraalbee
Knight

Thraalbee is on a distinguished road
Latest revision. I came into a situation where I could not interact with a pile of 2 items on the floor. But when I saved, copied the save file and then started up again it worked as it should. I have not been able to reproduce the error.
Thraalbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2015, 12:44   #423
Nomad
Knight

Nomad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo Pietilš View Post
Also, shouldn't all DSM be at least magical? I don't recall finding any with +0 to AC in 3.5.1.
I think, a bit confusingly, 'average' DSM does already include a default magical boost to AC, so an 'average' Blue DSM is actually "Blue Dragon Scale Mail [12, +10]" and 'magical' starts at "Blue Dragon Scale Mail [12, +11]". (I guess it's done that way to represent the fact that DSM is already inherently magical, and so it's hard to enchant up any further?)
Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2015, 12:46   #424
topazg
Scout

topazg is on a distinguished road
Apologies for what feels like a thread hi-jack, but having been clearing out my old game archives and coming across my old friend here, I thought I'd check out if it was still as active as it was, and lo and behold there's an exciting v4 to try out!

I tried to download the latest build and just received this from the page: http://prntscr.com/7ehvsr

Happy for someone to PM me with what exactly I'm not doing / doing wrong, but couldn't see a particularly good place to post the request.

Nice to see so many familiar named posters too

Quote:
I think, a bit confusingly, 'average' DSM does already include a default magical boost to AC, so an 'average' Blue DSM is actually "Blue Dragon Scale Mail [12, +10]" and 'magical' starts at "Blue Dragon Scale Mail [12, +11]". (I guess it's done that way to represent the fact that DSM is already inherently magical, and so it's hard to enchant up any further?)
My comment on this is that I would have thought quality-ID would reflect how good/magical the item is in general terms, rather than "how much better it is than the normal item of this type you might expect to find" - I'd find it less confusing to have all things +X referred to as magical than know what + value is required for the magical flag for a number of different item types.
topazg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2015, 13:37   #425
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by topazg View Post
... I thought I'd check out if it was still as active as it was, and lo and behold there's an exciting v4 to try out!
Confusingly, v4 is pretty much defunct - an old testbed for what were potentially "radical" changes to Vanilla Angband. Vanilla Version 4.0 is currently nearing the tail-end of beta testing and will be released soon.

The current "released" version of Angband (version 3.5.1) can be found at: http://rephial.org/

If you want to try out the Beta version of 4.0, it can be found at: http://rephial.org/nightlies

Welcome back!
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2015, 13:47   #426
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
I was about to explain exactly what Ingwe said, so I'll just echo the welcome back bit - good to see you indeed
Old June 8, 2015, 13:53   #427
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Shouldn't game consider "average" as "good" in this case? It does have bonus to AC.

....maybe DSM:s should also resist disenchantment somewhat, a bit like artifacts do. To make them a bit more special than ordinary armors.

I would also like to have them give you permanent double-resist to the appropriate (basic) element, but that makes a bit bigger gameplay change. Make MHDSM a bit more desirable than Elvenkind with poison resist.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2015, 14:39   #428
Jungle_Boy
Swordsman

Jungle_Boy is on a distinguished road
Now that we've successfully hijacked this thread to talk about DSMs I was thinking the other day that they should aggravate dragons of the appropriate flavor as they see you wearing the skin of one of their kind.
Old June 8, 2015, 14:48   #429
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
Update 4c26520 fixes:
  • Knowledge screen commands for stores
  • Improved trap descriptions
  • Symbol lookup for 'P' now gets giant, not Morgoth
  • Improve bless effect description
  • Improve message for trying to walk into lava
  • Make a (distinct) sound for picking up to or dropping from the quiver
  • Return of the blank line under the object menu
  • Failed summon of ringwraiths or uniques now gets greater undead as intended

I think that's all except:
  • The display delay on missile shooting, which I think is just a thing now (it's a result of disconnect between the core function firing the missile and the display function displaying it)
  • The chest mimic thing. That seems actually to be working as intended - the chest mimic is clear (like a clear hound), so it will look white, or yellow if you're using yellow torchlight.

Also of course there are the ten official bugs remaining.
Old June 8, 2015, 14:50   #430
debo
Veteran

debo is on a distinguished road
Too lazy to read backlog to see if this has been reported already, but you might want to look at this winning comp dump wearing the Massive Crown -- the stat display is kinda hilarious http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=17796. (It's entirely possible it looked like this before 4.0, also too lazy to find ladder dumps to corroberate.)

(congrats MattB)