Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Variants

Old December 9, 2010, 11:07   #371
Storch
Scout

Storch is on a distinguished road
I have not played FA for almost a year (version 1.0), so perharps I missed something new. What is Wall of force? I play mostly mages and FA has very interesting/different gameplay in this regard. Kudos to developers.

There are still some (almost) useless spells i.e. spells I do not use. But it is much better than in V. If you have future plans in this regard, so much the better.

The stunning effect of thrust away, cacophony and The Staff of Winds is too strong. I tended to abuse the stunning all the time in late game. I was able to kill Ungolianth and Sauron as a mage at CL 41 with no problem. They did not stand a chance - I kept them out of melee range, out of sight if necessary and stunned so they could not cast spells.
Storch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9, 2010, 12:56   #372
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storch View Post
I have not played FA for almost a year (version 1.0), so perharps I missed something new. What is Wall of force?
Most powerful attack spell - like thrust away but a cone.

Quote:
The stunning effect of thrust away, cacophony and The Staff of Winds is too strong.
Yes, this seems to be the general opinion. In fact, LostTemplar has already done a bunch of work on improving spell balance (among other things), and I will probably put out 1.1.6 soon.
Old December 9, 2010, 13:37   #373
LostTemplar
Knight

LostTemplar is on a distinguished road
No brainer push_out_of_sight is fixed, staff of winds seems ok. Btw we have NO_STUN property, currently only used by one monster, it can be simply added to more. Also TELE_SELF_TO can be used more IMHO. This will make the game harder, if it is common opinion, that currently it is too easy.
LostTemplar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9, 2010, 14:08   #374
buzzkill
Prophet

Donated: $8
buzzkill is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostTemplar View Post
No brainer push_out_of_sight is fixed, staff of winds seems ok. Btw we have NO_STUN property, currently only used by one monster, it can be simply added to more. Also TELE_SELF_TO can be used more IMHO. This will make the game harder, if it is common opinion, that currently it is too easy.
That sounds like the wrong way to fix it.
Old December 9, 2010, 16:09   #375
Storch
Scout

Storch is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostTemplar View Post
Perharps better chance to resist? To provide high uniques with immunity to stun would be exactly what I do not want. It is excellent that it is possible inflict negative status even to the big M.

What about introducing another such effects - spells for reducing visibility (smoke screen), another ways than runes to drain mana and slow, creating false dummy targets (rune that would monsters try to attack), confusing monsters to attack other monsters ... I like tricks better than brute force :-)
Storch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9, 2010, 17:59   #376
LostTemplar
Knight

Quote:
another ways than runes to drain mana and slow
Slow monster spell can slow even Morgoth. Assasins and rogues can drain mana, not everything should be available to mage.

Quote:
Perharps better chance to resist?
Maybe same chance as slow currently have, (monster level + 2) in damage, so you will never stun something big with thrust away, but cacophony and wall of force will stun sometimes.

I also want feedback about idea to make some monsters more mobile, e.g. adding digging to unique balrogs, teleport_to_player to some high power spellcasters, etc.

Last edited by LostTemplar; December 9, 2010 at 18:12.
Old December 9, 2010, 18:51   #377
HallucinationMushroom
Knight

HallucinationMushroom is on a distinguished road
You could have them teleport towards the @ like I've seen demi-human and human spellcasters do. Having Cantoras suddenly pop right in front of you would certainly be frightening. Nothing says mobility like a portal gun.
HallucinationMushroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9, 2010, 19:06   #378
LostTemplar
Knight

Yes, I thought about Cantoras, it will be nice. Currently very few high level casters can teleport towards player, really only Errata the mage and grand master mystic. Most of thieves can too, but they are unlikely to be dangerous.
Old December 10, 2010, 01:53   #379
Fendell Orcbane
Swordsman

Fendell Orcbane is on a distinguished road
How many Uniques are in FA...I count 74. I'm just wondering because Morgoth pretty much just either summons one Troll, Rogog or something I think his name is or Guardians. I didn't know that I would need a lot of genocide scrolls before I took him on. So while I got him down to 3 *'s I had to leave since I didn't have any escapes and almost no mana.
Fendell Orcbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10, 2010, 03:40   #380
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fendell Orcbane View Post
How many Uniques are in FA...I count 74.
I make it 77.