Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old October 23, 2008, 01:08   #1
rdermyer
Apprentice

rdermyer is on a distinguished road
Couple of questions

I can't target things that I don't have a direct line of sight to; in a crowd, I can't hit the guy in the middle with my Stinking Cloud. I'm okay with this, but I can't tell if it also affects monsters; can every member of a pack of hounds hit me from down the hallway, or is it just the one in front?

Also, my stats are starting to max out at 18/100... I have maximize checked as "yes". I thought that meant that my Con would max out at 18/100 + 2 for race plus class bonuses (High Elf Ranger), so 18/120. I've never maxed out any stats before, so maybe that's just how it is and I'm misinterpreting the descriptions.

Anyway, here's my dump.
rdermyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23, 2008, 01:22   #2
Kadoles
Apprentice

Kadoles is on a distinguished road
i've noticed the same thing. my ball spells and wands only target the first monster. I don't think monsters have the same restrictions.

i havent found enough stat potions to see how high i can get.
Old October 23, 2008, 02:32   #3
PowerDiver
Prophet

PowerDiver is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdermyer View Post
I can't target things that I don't have a direct line of sight to; in a crowd, I can't hit the guy in the middle with my Stinking Cloud. I'm okay with this, but I can't tell if it also affects monsters; can every member of a pack of hounds hit me from down the hallway, or is it just the one in front?
You should be able to use targeting mode. Instead of a direction, press '*' to select any targetable monster or 'p' to choose a target by position, unless 3.1 changed this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdermyer View Post
Also, my stats are starting to max out at 18/100... I have maximize checked as "yes". I thought that meant that my Con would max out at 18/100 + 2 for race plus class bonuses (High Elf Ranger)
If you check, you have 18/100 + 2 + 6 = 18/180 total. Without maximize the total would be 18/100 + 6 = 18/160.
PowerDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23, 2008, 03:05   #4
Kadoles
Apprentice

Kadoles is on a distinguished road
k) a Set of Leather Gloves of Agility [1,+6] (+3)
+3 dexterity.

t) a Set of Caestus of Free Action (+0,+3) [2,+6]
Prevents paralysis.

with "k" i have 150 mana

with "t" i have 146 mana

shouldn't it be the other way around?
Old October 23, 2008, 04:09   #5
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Both dex and FA negate the mana glove penalty. The cesti are heavier and you are over the mana penalty weight for armor.
That said, with mana well over 100 you probably don't need to worry about it.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23, 2008, 09:33   #6
rdermyer
Apprentice

rdermyer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerDiver View Post
If you check, you have 18/100 + 2 + 6 = 18/180 total. Without maximize the total would be 18/100 + 6 = 18/160.
Awesome, thanks a bunch. I was having a little trouble making sense of that, because it has the 18/100 in the Self column, and I wasn't exactly sure what that meant. I guess that's my "pre-bonus" stats.
rdermyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28, 2008, 02:32   #7
buzzkill
Prophet

Donated: $8
buzzkill is on a distinguished road

In FA, thought I don't know for sure, I've observed that creatures of a like kind, assembeled in a 'pack or gang' can indeed target you despite identical creatures being in the way, without hitting thier friendlies. I never observed rangers hitting other ranger with arrows, or fire hounds damaging other fire hounds with thier breath.

Creatures of different types often hit each other when casting/breathing at you, but I'm not sure if it's because thier attack actually hits other creatures, or if it's because the attack hits you and they are simply within it's area of effect.

And, you can target enemies in the middle of a pack (I use *o, then the movement keys) but I've found that the missle/spell often hits a target nearer to you than the one you were aiming at. I don't think that you have a higher percentage chance of hitting the target you're aiming at. I DO think that the game just uses the targeting to establish a line of fire. Then if you miss the first enemy in your line of fire, you have a chance to hit the second, and so on. I could be wrong.
buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28, 2008, 07:41   #8
Psi
Knight

Psi is on a distinguished road
It depends on spell/missile type. Bolt spells and missiles hit the first target in LoS (unless you miss with ammo). Balls (such as stinking cloud) hit the monster you aim at and splash those around. Breaths in V are ball types I think; in FA they are arcs that fan out from the 'caster'.
Psi is offline   Reply With Quote