Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Variants

Old November 8, 2012, 12:39   #101
ekolis
Knight

ekolis is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to ekolis Send a message via MSN to ekolis Send a message via Yahoo to ekolis
Hmm, looks like you already have a base Artist class which all the frontend Artist classes inherit from, so this won't be as hard as it looked initially! Just need to put that view-model layer in there... but we'll need to leave flexibility for drawing things that cross tile boundaries, too (at least for the graphical frontends) - such as any beams, bolts, explosions, and particle effects! (I know Derakon was talking about those a while back! )
ekolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8, 2012, 16:23   #102
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
I thought that the UI was in pretty good shape, actually. We spent a lot of time on cleaning it up, so now there's very little code that's actually identical across frontends. Of course there's plenty of code that's similar but not actually identical, but that's because the UIs do similar things in different ways due to the libraries they work with. Still, if you can find improvements then go ahead!

As far as displaying messages in the main window, that was one of those things I always figured would be an option down the road. Personally I like having a separate message window that doubles as a message history; this way the messages don't cover over the action and there's no need to have -more- prompts. Of course I recognize that not everyone feels the same way -- hence why this would be an option.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9, 2012, 00:38   #103
ekolis
Knight

Send a message via AIM to ekolis Send a message via MSN to ekolis Send a message via Yahoo to ekolis
Well, right now the message window doesn't even appear
Old November 9, 2012, 01:00   #104
Derakon
Prophet

Well, that's not good. Does it appear if you launch with "-ui=QT"? That will use the QT frontend instead of the WX one.

The WX one launches the windows with hardcoded positions, and the message frame starts at (840, 200). I suppose if your display only had 800 pixels of horizontal resolution then you wouldn't be able to see it at all. The default positions should be changed since I'm guessing not everyone has a gigantic display to work with.

...in fact, let's go ahead and fix that. The main window now defaults (in WX) to (50, 50), and the message window defaults to immediately below the main window. That should keep it visible for everyone.

EDIT: er, this will be fixed next time I push, anyway. In the meantime you can change this trivially by modifying gui/wxPyrel/mainFrame.py:
Code:
         # Make us big enough for an 80x24 view, by default.
         self.SetClientSize((width * 80, height * 24))
-        self.SetPosition((200, 200))
-        messageFrame.makeWindow(self, (840, 200))
+        self.SetPosition((50, 50))
+        messageFrame.makeWindow(self, (50, 50 + self.GetRect()[3]))

Last edited by Derakon; November 9, 2012 at 01:36.
Old November 9, 2012, 19:52   #105
AnonymousHero
Veteran

AnonymousHero is on a distinguished road
Just wondering... Would you accept patches adding nose tests and test cases for some of the pure logic modules at this point?

(Not making any big promises, but I though that I could at least contribute some basic tests for the grammar module. I'd mark all the known failures as "ignored" and and the ones that we expect to succeed with the current implementation would just be normal tests. It woudl be a sort of todo-list for the module.)
AnonymousHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9, 2012, 20:02   #106
Derakon
Prophet

Absolutely! nose looks to be a decent testing framework from my admittedly very cursory inspection, and I certainly don't object to having tests available, so if you want to make 'em, by all means!
Old November 11, 2012, 20:42   #107
Derakon
Prophet

Apparently Mercurial was a bigger roadblock to getting contributions from other devs than I thought it'd be, so Pyrel has been switched to Git. Same URL, just a different versioning system behind the scenes.

(Also the wiki and issue tracker were replaced, so that content needs to be transferred over...)
Old November 12, 2012, 23:09   #108
ekolis
Knight

Oh, so that explains why the pyrel repository I was following got turned into pyrel-hg! I was going to ask why you had two...

So seeing as I actually prefer Mercurial to Git, which repo should I work off of if I want to do some development? I can connect to the Git repo with the hggit plugin, but if you'd prefer that people using Mercurial connect only to the Mercurial repo for whatever reason...
Old November 12, 2012, 23:30   #109
Derakon
Prophet

I think it very unlikely that I'll bother to keep both repos up to date, so I recommend just switching to pyrel and forgetting that pyrel-hg exists.