AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old November 29, 2015, 15:22   #11
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by quarague View Post
I think the big M fight is hardest for priests. They tend to deal less damage than other chars, so the fight lasts longer.
Priests have Banish Evil, which is very nearly a perfect spell for dealing with Morgoth's summons as it teleports away all evil monsters in LOS, including Morgy. Anything that's left can be dealt with by casting Word of Destruction.

The only consumables priests need for the final fight are Potions of Speed and Potions of Restore Mana.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29, 2015, 15:47   #12
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I think the big M fight is hardest for priests.
I'm not sure this is true, given the Priest's virtually unlimited healing capacity and ability to Banish Evil. Much depends on what gear @ has found.

That being said, if turncount is any indication (which it might not be), I only had one priest winner that got under the 100,000 turncount mark. So, priests were my worst wins based on turncount, followed closely by mages. Although, more of my mages die than any other class, so I think they are harder for me overall.
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29, 2015, 23:47   #13
Raxmei
Apprentice

Raxmei is on a distinguished road
I've never used Banishment or Mass Banishment fighting Morgoth, though I had a few priests use Banish Evil a lot. I could mostly rely on Phase Door and Teleport Other combined with smashing face really really hard. If you're able to take Morgoth on in melee a lot of the things he does will interfere with his own summons. The priest's excellent staying power really comes in handy.
Raxmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30, 2015, 03:49   #14
Estie
Veteran

Estie is on a distinguished road
The potentially easiest time with M has the ranger, everyone else is more or less on the same level. What the 2 casters lack in damage output, they make up for in ability to control the battle.
Estie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30, 2015, 04:40   #15
brbrbr
Adept

brbrbr is on a distinguished road
Yes, Morgoth eats Banishments very quickly.
It is not viable, so the strategy I use is Phase door (in destructed terrain), then teleport Morgy away, then teleport summoned creatures one by one, or destruct again.
Scroll of recharging plus empty staff of destruction works a treat for Priest and Warrior.

For Ranger game I did not destruct
In open space battle I found Morgoth is much, much more likely to come closer rather than do distance attack or summon. I would teleport P before he reaches me.
In rare case where he summons before reaching me - I would teleport myself.
Before doing that make sure you have enough health, as you may land near nasty monster.
That strategy worked solidly for a ranger.
brbrbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30, 2015, 08:29   #16
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Having fought Morgie many, many times now, in every class and race, I never found any consistent rule as to how much the Big P will summon. Sometimes it seemed like nearly every other move was a summons, sometimes he summoned only a couple times. When going to face him, it's best to be prepared to deal with summons, whether that be with banishment/mass banishment, TO and destruct, phase or teleport self, etc. To borrow from the Boy Scouts, "Be Prepared".
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
Old November 30, 2015, 12:06   #17
PowerWyrm
Prophet

PowerWyrm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Also a staff of banishment can be very helpful for priests because of greater recharging giving you a decent chance to use it for a while.
Staves of banishment are useless for a priest because a) the recharging spell sucks (it's worse than scroll -- only Mages get the Greater version) and b) you have Banish evil in Wrath of God and it's a mass TO spell vs evil (which is 99% of what Morgoth summons).
Old November 30, 2015, 12:07   #18
PowerWyrm
Prophet

PowerWyrm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
My go-to strategy is to fight in an area that has had Word of Destruction used in it. When Morgoth summons, instead of immediately banishing, you can use Phase Door and be almost guaranteed to not be in line-of-sight of anything. And since Morgoth moves faster than everything he summons, you can just move away from both him and his summons and he'll catch up first. You should only need to use banishment when you can't be confident that Phase Door is a safe move.
Exactly that. If you're low on banish, just phase, TO Morgoth and *des* the summons.
Old November 30, 2015, 15:16   #19
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerWyrm View Post
Staves of banishment are useless for a priest because a) the recharging spell sucks (it's worse than scroll -- only Mages get the Greater version) and b) you have Banish evil in Wrath of God and it's a mass TO spell vs evil (which is 99% of what Morgoth summons).
I've actually found the Priest recharging spell to be quite reliable (and, as I recall, it is "greater"), and it's SP cost is less than that of the Mage's greater recharging. However, I do not go into combat with the Big Bosses with anything they can drain so as not to give them healing from it (the exception being a Mage if that @ has decided to go the wand of draining/annihilation route, in which case those wands will be carried).
Old November 30, 2015, 23:25   #20
Werbaer
Adept

Werbaer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I think the big M fight is hardest for priests. They tend to deal less damage than other chars, so the fight lasts longer. That being said, I think 30 banishment scrolls should be enough to kill him.
Priests don't need to melee Morgoth. They can kill him from the distance with Orb of Draining. It takes longer, but you can keep the distance, don't get hit, the summons don't surround you, and you kill them with splash damage.

I took notes with my last priest winner. It took 138 Orbs to kill Morgoth. He used summoning spells 32 times. I used 4 scrolls of Mass Banishment when things got crowded, 6 charges from my 3 staffs of Banishment, and 1 Banishment scroll when thought i couldn't risk the staff to fail. Casted Banish Evil 9 times to teleport both Morgoth and the summons away.
Werbaer is offline   Reply With Quote