Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old December 15, 2013, 15:14   #1
Grotug
Veteran

Grotug is on a distinguished road
Ochre Jelly

I have been changing up my strategy from slow and safe to keeping it interesting (I'm using Deep Descents!). But there is always something to spoil my fun. This time an Ochre Jelly brought me from AC 71 to AC40. I can feel my blood turn to acid with ire. It's good thing I have that amulet of resist acid around my neck.

EDIT: Seriously, the over the top acid situation needs to be revised. At the least, resist acid *really* should reduce the amount of damage to equipment by 66%.

So what am I supposed to do now? Crawl back up 5 dungeon levels because I have no armor anymore? grrrrr

Last edited by Grotug; December 15, 2013 at 15:21.
Grotug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15, 2013, 15:59   #2
fizzix
Prophet

fizzix is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grotug View Post

So what am I supposed to do now? Crawl back up 5 dungeon levels because I have no armor anymore? grrrrr
1) learn to avoid acidic monsters unless you have artifact gear. Jellies drop no treasure, so unless they're guarding a vault, it's best to avoid them. Ochre jellies and acidic cytoplasms are fast though, so that is a major annoyance, I agree.

2) I think there should be a distinction between magical enchantments and intrinsic armor abilities. We already pretty much have this with [x] + y descriptions. So acid should lower the [x] and disenchant should lower the y. Then we could bring back those broken scrolls of repair armour and have them only fix acid damage.

3) Item damage/destruction is probably one of the most annoying things in many games. I'm not sure it's terrible though. If your armor was damageable by acid, then you'll probably find a suitable replacement soon enough.
fizzix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15, 2013, 16:08   #3
Grotug
Veteran

Yeah, I couldn't evade the jelly and he had done so much damage by the time I realized what he was. There really wasn't any other option but to melee him. Yes, more repair armor scrolls would be really nice. It would also be nice if they would repair the armor to its original without going higher (right now they cap at +15 regardless of the original amount the armor had).
Old December 15, 2013, 16:20   #4
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Yeah, I couldn't evade the jelly and he had done so much damage by the time I realized what he was. There really wasn't any other option but to melee him.
This means you weren't properly prepared for the dungeon. Every character should always have a stack of Phase Door and some kind of ranged attack if at all possible; failing that, try to have a Staff of Teleportation by the time you make it to, oh, 750' or so. Ochre jellies are harmless if they can't melee you.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15, 2013, 18:22   #5
Grotug
Veteran

I had phase doors which weren't doing me any good because the jelly was so fast and the phase doors weren't taking me far enough away. Phase doors are also unpredictable and are known to land the player next to the thing you were trying to escape. But they can be real life savers, too, especially if there is a nearby, unconnected corridor.
Old December 15, 2013, 20:09   #6
Philip
Knight

Philip is on a distinguished road
Or if you have a mildly effective ranged attack. They move much faster than you, but not fast enough not to get a hit or two on and they are fragile. They will also stop appearing if you dive past levels 10-60 like I tend to. Of course, by level 60 there isn't anything new in the dungeon, might as well go to 98. I play a lot of mages. The only characters I hate ochre jellies with are paladins, otherwise I range it or smash it quickly enough or teleport.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15, 2013, 20:14   #7
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I had phase doors which weren't doing me any good because the jelly was so fast and the phase doors weren't taking me far enough away. Phase doors are also unpredictable and are known to land the player next to the thing you were trying to escape. But they can be real life savers, too, especially if there is a nearby, unconnected corridor.
Keep reading phase doors until you get enough space. They have a range of 10 squares; you only need to move 3 to get away from an ochre jelly that's in melee range. Statistically speaking you'll eventually get away.

This is why I tend to carry like 20 Phase Door scrolls with me when I leave town. It's hard to have too many of them, and they're light.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15, 2013, 20:19   #8
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
Keep reading phase doors until you get enough space. They have a range of 10 squares; you only need to move 3 to get away from an ochre jelly that's in melee range. Statistically speaking you'll eventually get away.
...and probably straight into the hole that the ochre jelly left in the pit it came out of
Old December 15, 2013, 22:40   #9
Grotug
Veteran

22 is usually how many I have. Later in the game I may carry up to 35.

Well, I am an idiot. Found {excellent} boots on a level with Nexus hounds and some promising weapon upgrades. The hounds were guarding the weapons. I was trying to get to them, but for some *really* stupid reason I just assumed the boots were something useless like feather falling so even though I was resisting what the hounds were breathing when I wore the boots briefly, I took em off and put my others back on which only had [+1] more armor. Part of the problem was I didn't really have a strong feeling of what nexus hounds do, but had a vague notion they cause you to teleport by breathing "nexus" at you. I kept getting nexused away, but because I was developing game fatigue I couldn't be arsed to identify the boots (and I had a staff of identify on hand). Finally, I got nexused out of the level (didn't know that was possible, but it didn't say I found a trap door, said I got hit by nexus and then sank through the floor). So, then I decide to id the boots, and yeah, boots of stability. Maybe my lack of intelligence has something to do with my intelligence and wisdom being lowered by a Ghost of some kind.

Well, I was so frustrated by that scenario that I didn't do enough to deal with the new threats on dl30 I had just sank onto and so a red priest or something cast fireballs at me and I died. Good riddance, I lose patience after awhile trying to make progress. I often find getting out of the late dl20s to be the hardest part of the game. Very tedious. Can't find anything good and yet am being harangued by all sorts of things I can't deal with like carrion crawlers and basilisks. Wish I could find a strategy that worked. Maybe I should deep descent when I reach dl29 or 30 and take my chances in the mid 30s where you can find some decent stuff. At least my intuition on potions is getting better. I quaffed a speckled potion I had a feeling would be a +stat/-stat and figured I'd take my chances: "You feel ugly! You feel strong!" You basically couldn't ask for a better +/- stat potion. That is the only +/- stat potion I've ever quaffed in all my many many hours playing this game, too.

EDIT: Well, that was a fun first dive into the dungeon. On dl5 I found the following: +3 +4 ring of the mouse (if you wear it and don't fight with it you can sell it for a pretty penny) Smeagol, and coulda worn the ring to fight him, but chose instead to save the ring for selling; a maul, a lantern and a zinc-plated wand (id'd as a stinking cloud on a hardened vet in town). On dl3 or dl4 a graze was bringing my health slowly down: 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, 0. I quaffed the only potion I had but it was a potion of speed. I actually felt pretty confident it would stop at 0 or 1, though, since grazes don't usually go very long. It's always fun to win the game and be able to say (and I had 0 health at such and such time, especially the beginning). Given my track record, tho, I don't think this is will be the game I win.

Wow, that was cool. Was in a hallway with a monster on either side of me. Was trying to find out what the various staves I had picked up did. U>Walnut staff--poof! the monsters in the hallway are gone. checked to see what it was--dispel evil 60 damage. Not bad for a pickup on dl12 or dl13.

I thought the amount of damage monsters did was supposed to decrease as they became more injured? Seems they get more powerful the lower my hitpoints go. dead again *sigh*

Last edited by Grotug; December 16, 2013 at 01:57.
Old December 16, 2013, 04:00   #10
Raxmei
Apprentice

Raxmei is on a distinguished road
Breath damage is a fraction of the monster's current HP so injuring a monster will reduce the damage its breath attacks deal - though this can take a while later on when monsters often have more than enough HP to hit the damage cap for breaths. Other monster attacks aren't affected in this way.
Raxmei is offline   Reply With Quote