Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old January 28, 2015, 20:49   #1
Bogatyr
Swordsman

Bogatyr is on a distinguished road
Morgoth is not a "giant?"

Argh, I specifically saved up a Scyth of Slicing of Westernesse for the big boy but I found it only "hit" him, instead of "smiting" him. That SoS does over 600 against giants but only about 350 against others. Turns out I don't have anything over 350 and I specifically passed by other artifact weapons that had slay evil….argh…!

Well back to the grind. Thank goodness I didn't use up any consumables. My consumables were on the low side anyway so this will be a chance to boost that up some.

Human Warrior, gained levels *fast*. Fun to play, he can take even many of the most powerful uniques without needing to pillar dance. Plows through giant vaults like a hot knife through butter, that is refreshing from being scared all the time playing mages. The Pick of Erebor is a great weapon, used it for pretty much all the mid/end game.

http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=17318

Last edited by Bogatyr; January 28, 2015 at 20:58.
Bogatyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2015, 21:08   #2
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
Yeah, Morgoth is an "evil creature" but not "giant".

Human Warrior is my favorite so far. It's my lowest turn-count, levels so quickly, and has the satisfaction of smashing everything in its path. Very liberating after playing mages for awhile.

Good luck to you on finding a suitable weapon to go after the big boss!
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2015, 08:51   #3
Bogatyr
Swordsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingwe Ingweron View Post
Yeah, Morgoth is an "evil creature" but not "giant".

Human Warrior is my favorite so far. It's my lowest turn-count, levels so quickly, and has the satisfaction of smashing everything in its path. Very liberating after playing mages for awhile.

Good luck to you on finding a suitable weapon to go after the big boss!
Yes HW is really a nice combo. In a standart game there are enough options for stat boosting to get 18/200+ fairly easily on all of str, dex and con.
Old January 29, 2015, 10:32   #4
quarague
Swordsman

quarague is on a distinguished road
If you click on the spoiler bar above and then search for morgoth in the monster memory, you can see his exact stats, all the slays, resistances, spells, whatever. The data is from version 3.1.2. but AFAIK he hasn't changed since then. It's called spoiler for a reason, so you may want to find out by yourself (or use a rod of probing, which will give you exactly the same info).
quarague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2015, 13:46   #5
Bogatyr
Swordsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by quarague View Post
If you click on the spoiler bar above and then search for morgoth in the monster memory, you can see his exact stats, all the slays, resistances, spells, whatever. The data is from version 3.1.2. but AFAIK he hasn't changed since then. It's called spoiler for a reason, so you may want to find out by yourself (or use a rod of probing, which will give you exactly the same info).
Yes I always carry probing, and I took a turn to do it on Morgoth this game after my "slay giant" weapon did not smite.

Have a decent Lochaber Axe HA now which I just may go with. I was hoping to find a Blade of Chaos HA or Scyth of Slicing HA but haven't so far and I'm getting bored with grinding so I think I'll just dive in for the final fight after I clear this last massive vault.
Old January 29, 2015, 15:55   #6
mushroom patch
Swordsman

mushroom patch is an unknown quantity at this point
I find that about an hour of scumming 98 usually nets you a mace of disruption or blade of chaos with slay evil, either of which will take down Sauron and Morgoth pretty easily. (Of course, this is with rogue quality object detection and no messing around with things that aren't blades of chaos or maces of disruption.)
mushroom patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2015, 20:47   #7
Bogatyr
Swordsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mushroom patch View Post
I find that about an hour of scumming 98 usually nets you a mace of disruption or blade of chaos with slay evil, either of which will take down Sauron and Morgoth pretty easily. (Of course, this is with rogue quality object detection and no messing around with things that aren't blades of chaos or maces of disruption.)
I was (just won) a warrior with limited enlightenment / rods of detection, I got sick of slogging through massive vaults full of crap so just went ahead and took Morgoth down with a Lochaber Axe (Holy Avenger), haha, it had more damage against evil than any of the artifact weapons I'd found (468 as configured), even Calris. Never found the Glaive of Pain. It only took a handful of Mass Banish scrolls, one Banish (Morgoth opened an A pit on his way to me), about 5 *Healing*, one Life, and about 10 Healing. I had fire, electricity, and acid immunity so leaving his summons around for a while wasn't too dangerous (had to watch out for the white "U"s however), at least if the weaker ones were surrounding me.

http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=17318

I have a yet-unfinished endgame rogue hanging around, but I think he has the GoP already. If not, I'll try 98/99 scumming. I usually just pillar dance Sauron so the weapon doesn't matter so much until the final fight.
Old January 29, 2015, 21:21   #8
mushroom patch
Swordsman

mushroom patch is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah, I've never tried the Glaive of Pain against Morgoth or Sauron. I'm probably too conservative, but the damage looked iffy to me (without acid brand or whatever).
mushroom patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2015, 23:29   #9
AnonymousHero
Veteran

AnonymousHero is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogatyr View Post
(blah blah Morgoth blah blah)
This is a have-more-resources-and-avoid-instadeath game. Any character with enough means to avoid instadeath (*includes speed and rBase) can win. Morgoth is just the icing on the cake. I'm not sure he was ever meant to be a serious threat to players who made it that far.
AnonymousHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30, 2015, 01:18   #10
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymousHero View Post
This is a have-more-resources-and-avoid-instadeath game. Any character with enough means to avoid instadeath (*includes speed and rBase) can win. Morgoth is just the icing on the cake. I'm not sure he was ever meant to be a serious threat to players who made it that far.
He has all of the most powerful abilities, save ones that would make him unfun to fight (like healing or teleportation). His spell list has very few duds in it and plenty of whoppers. His melee is incredibly powerful. He's about as strong as you can reasonably make an enemy without going to ridiculous extremes (+80 speed and breathes mana every turn, etc.). The "problem" (to the extent that it even is one) is that it's very hard for any single fight to stop a player who's willing to burn consumables.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote