Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old November 28, 2015, 21:28   #1
Rowan
Adept

Rowan is on a distinguished road
Morgoth Eats Banishment Like Happy Meals

How many scrolls of banishment/mass-banishment do people usually take with them? I spent an entire playthrough (cautious and thorough) never using a single scroll of banishment of any sort, collecting them diligently. When it was finally time to put the smack down on Morgoth, I took all my scrolls with me, and he forced me to use them like no tomorrow.

-I swat Morgoth
-He surrounds me with 3-4 Great Worms of Many Colours
-Banish
-He surrounds me with 1-2 Nightwalkers and 2-3 Nightcrawlers
-Banish
(repeat. summon, banish, summonbanishsbsbsbsbsbsbsbsbsb)

All my scrolls gone in like 5 minutes.

Now I can't blame him... if I were controlling Morgoth I'd only stop summoning to manastorm now and again... which he did. I got away, but now I have zero means of banishment next time I go down there.

So it makes me curious! How many do you guys take down there? I must have had at least 30 total.
Rowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28, 2015, 21:36   #2
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
My go-to strategy is to fight in an area that has had Word of Destruction used in it. When Morgoth summons, instead of immediately banishing, you can use Phase Door and be almost guaranteed to not be in line-of-sight of anything. And since Morgoth moves faster than everything he summons, you can just move away from both him and his summons and he'll catch up first. You should only need to use banishment when you can't be confident that Phase Door is a safe move.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28, 2015, 23:09   #3
Rowan
Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
...you can use Phase Door ...You should only need to use banishment when you can't be confident that Phase Door is a safe move.
Yes- of necessity I started experimenting with this. Not doing too bad until I actually used Word of Destruction and I think it erased him...

Hey, I noticed sometimes when he hits me it just does a set amount of damage, and causes an earthquake- but other times I get moved all over the place and take a whole lot more damage, with phrases about the ceiling caving in, and the floor twisting in a strange way, or something. Often this second type of attack gets me a much longer *more* string and several low hitpoint warnings. Are there two different attack types, or is there always a chance of this catastrophic destruction?

(pretty new to Morgoth in general, but getting better at dealing with him has me learning new things)
Old November 29, 2015, 00:33   #4
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
Yes- of necessity I started experimenting with this. Not doing too bad until I actually used Word of Destruction and I think it erased him...

Hey, I noticed sometimes when he hits me it just does a set amount of damage, and causes an earthquake- but other times I get moved all over the place and take a whole lot more damage, with phrases about the ceiling caving in, and the floor twisting in a strange way, or something. Often this second type of attack gets me a much longer *more* string and several low hitpoint warnings. Are there two different attack types, or is there always a chance of this catastrophic destruction?

(pretty new to Morgoth in general, but getting better at dealing with him has me learning new things)
You must TO Morgoth before destructing, or he will take forever to respawn on the level. My go-to strategy for Morgoth is to destruct an area (first making sure he's not in the destruct range), then fighting him within the zone. Use phase door, as Derakon pointed out. I try to phase before healing or banishing. If necessary, I TO Morgoth and then destruct to remove uniques (only if I can't safely TO the uniques away individually). It's preferable to TO uniques, that way they are still on the level and can't be summoned by Morgoth. This "destruction zone" strategy can be varied if I happen to catch him in a tactically beneficial permanent walled vault, in which case I tend to use runes and a shoot and scoot or bash and bail strategy.

When Grond hits it has a chance to cause earthquakes. Sometimes @ can dodge falling debris, but sometimes @ gets crushed by the collapsing ceiling. Treat it just like mana storm. Always keep your hps above 600. Good luck in your battles with the Big Boss!
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29, 2015, 02:11   #5
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
You get crushed between the floor and ceiling if the earthquake spawns a wall in your tile and you fail to dodge into an adjacent open tile. Don't melee Morgoth when in an antisummoning corridor as it makes this much more likely.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29, 2015, 03:27   #6
Rowan
Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
You get crushed between the floor and ceiling if the earthquake spawns a wall in your tile and you fail to dodge into an adjacent open tile. Don't melee Morgoth when in an antisummoning corridor as it makes this much more likely.
Ahh, okay. Feeling much more confident now; I'm just hoping I don't run out of potions! We'll see!
Old November 29, 2015, 07:16   #7
quarague
Swordsman

quarague is on a distinguished road
I think the big M fight is hardest for priests. They tend to deal less damage than other chars, so the fight lasts longer. That being said, I think 30 banishment scrolls should be enough to kill him. Did you also have a few mass banish scrolls? If he summons several differnt letters, don't use multiple banish scrolls. Also a staff of banishment can be very helpful for priests because of greater recharging giving you a decent chance to use it for a while. Finally, how much dps do you do, and how. More dps means shorter fight means less consumables. Ranged dps can also help a lot because M will use some of his turns to move instead of attacking.
quarague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29, 2015, 08:16   #8
Thraalbee
Knight

Thraalbee is on a distinguished road
I find priest strong in the end game. Three ways to avoid crushing. Distance attacks, rune/glyph of protection and very high ac. The first increases the summon problem. The second breaks every 1 to 6 rounds or so but can be reapplied quickly, and Ac needs to be really high to make a difference. 300 is clearly helping compared to 150.
The ideal fighting ground is full of glyphs, summons can not appear on them. But M will not let you alone very long unless trapped in a vault so this is hardly doable and also almost cheating.
But the key is staying over 600 hp all the time. Some players like to fight M in a vault, with an ideal setup that is very easy. The summons problem is less but ?phase is not as practical. Destruct works a bit different in vaults, as M's earthquake
Thraalbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29, 2015, 08:34   #9
fph
Knight

fph is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by quarague View Post
Also a staff of banishment can be very helpful for priests because of greater recharging giving you a decent chance to use it for a while.
Note that Morgy has a melee attack that drains charges, too. So if you are meleeing him, your charges will be gone very soon.
fph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29, 2015, 11:22   #10
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fph View Post
Note that Morgy has a melee attack that drains charges, too. So if you are meleeing him, your charges will be gone very soon.
And that "drain charges" attack also heals the monster. I hate giving healing to the Bosses, so for this reason never carry wands or staves into the battles with Sauron or Morgoth. The only exception being a mage if I decide to go the wand of draining/annihilation route.
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote