Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old April 25, 2022, 15:58   #1
Selkie
Swordsman

Selkie is on a distinguished road
Canon missing from the game

Bill Ferny - unique native to dlvl 5-10. He can summon rogues. The only character in the game who is susceptible to apple throw attacks (wouldn't that be a fun feature)

The Watcher in the Water - high-level monster who can spawn extra tentacles (regenerate health)

Athelas - such an important herb in the book, should cure all poisoning and black breath attacks, recover 40hp.

Grond - this was such a cool moment in the LotR it seems a shame Grond only appears in Angband in giant hammer form. The unique appears with loads of orcs and deals devastating melee attacks with earthquake potential.

The black arrow of Bard - I really like the idea of artifact indistructible ammo. The arrow could have *slay dragon* for example and have unnusually high to hit and to damage scores. The black arrow of Bard is just one example, but we could easily feature several artifact ammo which you can store for boss fights or sticky moments.

I'll also take this moment to get back on my high-horse about removing Beorn as a unique. He's a goodie, we shouldn't have to fight him. There's as much sense in including Beorn as an enemy as also including Radagast the brown.
Selkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2022, 16:47   #2
AceRimmer
Scout

AceRimmer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkie View Post
The black arrow of Bard - I really like the idea of artifact indistructible ammo. The arrow could have *slay dragon* for example and have unnusually high to hit and to damage scores. The black arrow of Bard is just one example, but we could easily feature several artifact ammo which you can store for boss fights or sticky moments.
Good ideas. Bill Ferny would be a nice low-level unique.

I have occasionally idly pondered the Black Arrow of Bard. My thoughts always wandered in a different direction, though. Rather than have an indestructible ammo, I have felt that the Black Arrow could be a single-use artifact dealing an insane amount of damage. Probably enough to one-shot Smaug. I've always wondered if it would be unbalancing as a mechanic. And would it be a Smaug-only artifact? Or any dragon? [Part of me wants it to instantly slay a random unique... in some games, it one-shot kills the Tarrasque... in other games, it one-shot kills Grip... luck of the RNG... but that would probably be too much randomness].
AceRimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26, 2022, 11:22   #3
tangar
Knight

tangar is on a distinguished road
All this stuff except Bill Ferny exist in variants (including Tangaria ). but AFAIU Bill and Bard arrow will be a bit out era for Angband as there is lore before LOTR.. and Grond can't be just laying in the dungeon.. it's wielded by Morgy

Considering Beorn and other 'good' uniques, in Tangaria I've implemented 'defeated' messages for such opponents.. so instead of 'slaying' them - you 'defeat' them (which means that they surrender and reward you with loot recognizing that you are a worthy adversary OR they just retreat dropping their values... each player has to imagine different picture ).
youtube.com/GameGlaz — streams in English ⍽ youtube.com/StreamGuild — streams in Russian

Last edited by tangar; April 26, 2022 at 11:30.
tangar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26, 2022, 12:29   #4
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enoughNick will become famous soon enough
Bill Ferny is the town unique in Oangband.
Old April 26, 2022, 13:01   #5
Selkie
Swordsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangar View Post
All this stuff except Bill Ferny exist in variants (including Tangaria ). but AFAIU Bill and Bard arrow will be a bit out era for Angband as there is lore before LOTR.. and Grond can't be just laying in the dungeon.. it's wielded by Morgy
I'm not talking about the hammer Ground, I'm talking about the massive battering ram that knocked on the door of Minas Tirith
Old April 26, 2022, 14:46   #6
tangar
Knight

tangar is on a distinguished road
Oh, I see. Cool But still it's variantish as it's out of V era. Also I'm not sure how to fit it even to variants as how come orcs will use battering ram in the dungeons... as such rams used VS big gates, not VS humanoids
youtube.com/GameGlaz — streams in English ⍽ youtube.com/StreamGuild — streams in Russian
tangar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26, 2022, 17:05   #7
Selkie
Swordsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangar View Post
Oh, I see. Cool But still it's variantish as it's out of V era. Also I'm not sure how to fit it even to variants as how come orcs will use battering ram in the dungeons... as such rams used VS big gates, not VS humanoids
The vanilla era stretches all of the three ages, there's no limiting factor there. I agree that a massive battering ram would be slightly out of place in a dungeon, but no more so than Old Man Willow of any of the trees (where's the sunlight).
Old April 26, 2022, 18:49   #8
Selkie
Swordsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
Bill Ferny is the town unique in Oangband.
All the more glaring his omission in Vanilla
Old April 26, 2022, 21:28   #9
wobbly
Prophet

wobbly will become famous soon enough
I support the addition of cannons.
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26, 2022, 21:47   #10
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40