AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old May 24, 2010, 04:42   #21
Fendell Orcbane
Swordsman

Fendell Orcbane is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estie View Post
The Phoenix (offscreen) breathes light. You die.
That is why I always hit mab when I get to a new level...or every once in awhile. Although with Telepathy you don't even need to do that.
Fendell Orcbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2010, 05:13   #22
fizzix
Prophet

fizzix is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fendell Orcbane View Post
That is why I always hit mab when I get to a new level...or every once in awhile. Although with Telepathy you don't even need to do that.
i highly recommend using inscriptions. Inscribe mb1 with @m1@b1@G1 and instead of mab use m1b. Then you don't run into the problem of casting the wrong spell if your book gets burned.
fizzix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2010, 06:09   #23
Fendell Orcbane
Swordsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzix View Post
i highly recommend using inscriptions. Inscribe mb1 with @m1@b1@G1 and instead of mab use m1b. Then you don't run into the problem of casting the wrong spell if your book gets burned.
Dude that sounds awesome...how does inscribing stuff work? I have cast the wrong spell due to me dropping books before.
Old May 24, 2010, 06:17   #24
Zikke
Veteran

Zikke is on a distinguished road
Quick lesson:

@z0 on an item means if you hit 'z' to zap a rod, instead of choosing a rod from the list you can type 0 for that rod.

Inscribe @m2 into your second mage book and if you make a spell macro that types "m2a" it'll cast the first spell of the same book even if your "Magic for Beginners" got burned away

If you're a warrior and you want to collect a ton of Rod of Illumination, inscribe the stack with something like @z0 (or @z1, @z2, whichever number you're up to) and then make a macro (I use the F3 key) that types "z0" and now your F3 key lights up rooms.
Zikke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2010, 08:35   #25
Fendell Orcbane
Swordsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zikke View Post
Quick lesson:

@z0 on an item means if you hit 'z' to zap a rod, instead of choosing a rod from the list you can type 0 for that rod.

Inscribe @m2 into your second mage book and if you make a spell macro that types "m2a" it'll cast the first spell of the same book even if your "Magic for Beginners" got burned away

If you're a warrior and you want to collect a ton of Rod of Illumination, inscribe the stack with something like @z0 (or @z1, @z2, whichever number you're up to) and then make a macro (I use the F3 key) that types "z0" and now your F3 key lights up rooms.
Thanks dude!
Old May 24, 2010, 09:28   #26
PowerDiver
Prophet

PowerDiver is on a distinguished road
Do the inscriptions through the object knowledge menu, instead of inscribing the object directly. Then it will be done automatically forever.
PowerDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2010, 04:53   #27
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
When do I feel sure about a character?
Immediately before taking on Inigo Montoya.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2010, 22:27   #28
Nile
Scout

Nile is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Although high level characters can die too, you can always *destruct* the area around you killing or getting rid of everything. You just have to do it so in that sense every high level character has an escape... you just have to pull out sooner rather than latter.
While ?*destruct* is definitely one of, if not the the most sure ways to live, ?tele, ?tele level, or tele other are good for 99% of bad situations, even at dlev 98. It is true you can tele when at low health into a group of monsters and die. However, the secret, which took me a long time to learn, is to teleport when you perceive a situation could get bad, before it actualy gets bad. This means you are porting at high health/mana, so insta-death-after-teleport occurrences are rare.

With that in mind, I am generally very sure of a character with telepathy, ?tele or ?tele level, and tele other. For up to dlev 50, one or two of the previous will suffice.

Last edited by Nile; May 27, 2010 at 23:21.
Nile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1, 2010, 14:28   #29
Timo Pietilä
Prophet

Timo Pietilä is on a distinguished road
There is always tiny chance of getting insta-killed when you enter new level unless you are moving at speed +30 or above. Imagine this:

Enter new level: next to you are two Grand Master Mystics. Both kick you to the head before you can react. KO. Then they proceed to beat you to death.

Melee is not restricted like spells and breaths are. If you enter new level next to something nasty it can hit you before you can react. That is unless 3.1.X has changed that rule.

With enough speed OTOH you are safe from that.

ESP is also life-saver. I have found myself in new levels in situation where immediate escape had to be done which was not visible without ESP.

Once you have enough HP, ESP, speed, escapes, good enough weapons, healing and some basic survival resistances (mainly basic4, poison, confusion, sound and blindness and maybe nexus and perfect saving throw or FA) then I feel "safe".
Timo Pietilä is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1, 2010, 15:13   #30
Ycombinator
Adept

Ycombinator is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo Pietilä View Post
Enter new level: next to you are two Grand Master Mystics. Both kick you to the head before you can react. KO. Then they proceed to beat you to death.
When you enter new level, all monsters have zero energy and you have 100 energy (INITIAL_DUNGEON_ENERGY constant). In the described situation, you can use whatever escape you have (?Tele, ?TeleLevel or corresponding 0% fail spells) before they can attack.
Ycombinator is offline   Reply With Quote