Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old January 4, 2011, 22:05   #1
Nile
Scout

Nile is on a distinguished road
3.2 - monster rarity levels changed?

Have the monster rarity levels changed, or is my luck just insanely bad? I was just killed by Uvatha the Horseman on dungeon level 5! I've never seen this dangerous a unique this shallow before! Uvatha is native to like 40, right?
Nile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2011, 22:07   #2
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nile View Post
Have the monster rarity levels changed, or is my luck just insanely bad? I was just killed by Uvatha the Horseman on dungeon level 5! I've never seen this dangerous a unique this shallow before! Uvatha is native to like 40, right?
Are you sure you're playing 3.2? That sounds like a more recent nightly, where there was a temporary spike in dungeon generation ...
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2011, 22:07   #3
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Are you sure you aren't using one of the nightlies that had accidentally changed dungeon generation to always include unusual rooms? That could easily create a vault with vastly out-of-depth monsters.

Edit: beaten by Magnate. Shows what I get for going to poke at vault.txt a bit before posting...
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2011, 22:13   #4
Nile
Scout

3.2.0 on the Mac, just double checked. Although I was previously using a nightly. Could it somehow be using the code from the other version?
Old January 4, 2011, 22:18   #5
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Quote:
3.2.0 on the Mac, just double checked. Although I was previously using a nightly. Could it somehow be using the code from the other version?
I'm not a mac user, but we have a ticket open to stop nightlies getting confused with "normal" installations on Macs. So yes, I think this is what's happening - you are somehow still playing the nightly, as 3.2.0 definitely doesn't have the unusual dungeon stuff in it. In fact modern nightlies don't either - it's been reverted.
Old January 4, 2011, 22:26   #6
Nile
Scout

The last nightly I used was I think 3.1.2v2, from November. I played with a char to clev 30, didn't notice anything strange. But maybe it is still running that version, and the weirdness just never showed previously?

As a side, I'm not a big fan of the mac...

Also, it sure seems like 3.2, with monster lights, new book interface, etc, that were not in the last version I played.
Old January 5, 2011, 00:07   #7
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Quote:
The last nightly I used was I think 3.1.2v2, from November. I played with a char to clev 30, didn't notice anything strange. But maybe it is still running that version, and the weirdness just never showed previously?

As a side, I'm not a big fan of the mac...

Also, it sure seems like 3.2, with monster lights, new book interface, etc, that were not in the last version I played.
Oh ok then - if the last nightly you played was before 3.2, then Uvatha appearing on dl5 is just the RNG having a spliff, it's not the problem that was in recent nightlies.