Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old December 1, 2009, 20:17   #1
miyazaki
Adept

miyazaki is on a distinguished road
The "post a random question" thread.

A thread for all those little questions that are too small to require a whole discussion. Here's mine:

Do uniques have a finite number of mana points?
miyazaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1, 2009, 20:22   #2
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by miyazaki View Post
A thread for all those little questions that are too small to require a whole discussion. Here's mine:

Do uniques have a finite number of mana points?
Not in V. They do in O and S, and the games play very differently as a result. In V, all casting monsters have infinite mana, and this limits their AI considerably, as it quickly flips from retarded to unbeatable.
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2, 2009, 02:16   #3
Hariolor
Swordsman

Hariolor is on a distinguished road
If you fire several arrows almost perpendicularly down a hallway with two adjacent doors, and hit a monster standing just on the other side of them - does slowing down the base_delay to the point where you can see which door each of the arrows used thereby eliminate the phase interference that the arrows would otherwise experience.
Hariolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2, 2009, 05:04   #4
Rizwan
Swordsman

Rizwan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hariolor View Post
If you fire several arrows almost perpendicularly down a hallway with two adjacent doors, and hit a monster standing just on the other side of them - does slowing down the base_delay to the point where you can see which door each of the arrows used thereby eliminate the phase interference that the arrows would otherwise experience.
I have never really figured out what base delay does?
Rizwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2, 2009, 06:08   #5
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizwan View Post
I have never really figured out what base delay does?
It specifies the amount of time to wait in-between frames of animation for various effects. Set it to 25ms and then shoot a stinking cloud at something and you should get the idea pretty quickly.

It's a shame the default setting is basically no delay; I have friends who have played the game for years without ever realizing that the game has any animations at all, and they can be quite useful for tracking where incoming spells originated and what the radius on your nifty new ball attack ability is.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2, 2009, 16:06   #6
Philip
Knight

Philip is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnate View Post
Not in V. They do in O and S, and the games play very differently as a result. In V, all casting monsters have infinite mana, and this limits their AI considerably, as it quickly flips from retarded to unbeatable.
Yes, and they should. I am tired of meeting Wormy, or any other teleporting and healing monster with full life once again. It would also prevent stuff like: How did that illusionist cast 8 confusion spell, 7 blinding spells, teleport 5 times and pump lots of other attack into me spells without running out of mana? He did it again!
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2, 2009, 16:15   #7
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip View Post
Yes, and they should. I am tired of meeting Wormy, or any other teleporting and healing monster with full life once again. It would also prevent stuff like: How did that illusionist cast 8 confusion spell, 7 blinding spells, teleport 5 times and pump lots of other attack into me spells without running out of mana? He did it again!
Patches are always welcome.
Old December 2, 2009, 17:15   #8
PowerDiver
Prophet

PowerDiver is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip View Post
The variants with mana limits give the monsters a lot of mana. You will find them more annoying after the change than they are now if the AI takes advantage.
PowerDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2, 2009, 17:47   #9
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerDiver View Post
The variants with mana limits give the monsters a lot of mana. You will find them more annoying after the change than they are now if the AI takes advantage.
Personally I prefer the variants with monster mana, because the game is more interesting. Yes, the casters are annoying, just as they are now in V, but you can (if you want) deliberately use mana-draining attacks to incapacitate them. Lots more possibilities.
Old December 2, 2009, 17:55   #10
fizzix
Prophet

fizzix is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hariolor View Post
depends. Which hemisphere are we in? Gotta account for the Coreolis effect.
fizzix is offline   Reply With Quote