AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old January 8, 2018, 08:38   #21
PowerWyrm
Veteran

PowerWyrm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingwe Ingweron View Post
An easy test: Use wizard to generate a @ with Sting and with a regular extra attacks weapon. Wield one and compare the other in the pack. The in-pack weapon damage shown is erroneously benefiting from stat improvements of the wielded weapon. Or even comparing on the ground before picking up the weapon. This is a real pain in the butt. To accurately determine which weapon to wield, one must equip each weapon, as the in-pack or on-ground information is wrong.
The problem here is that the wizard generator is bugged and you cannot trust it for anything it creates. I think it comes from the fact that the generator doesn't assign the known part correctly. Are you sure the same happens if you actually find Sting and an EA weapon?
Old January 8, 2018, 17:19   #22
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerWyrm View Post
The problem here is that the wizard generator is bugged and you cannot trust it for anything it creates. I think it comes from the fact that the generator doesn't assign the known part correctly. Are you sure the same happens if you actually find Sting and an EA weapon?
I actually did find them, was just suggesting the Wizard mode so Nick didn't have to play for a couple hours just to test. It happens with any weapon that adjusts relevant combat associated stats, so it still shouldn't be hard to confirm. Damage per blow information was clearly working properly before some of the recent changes to this mechanic, but is now clearly not. Weapon comparison is now quite tedious. In-pack and on-ground information cannot be trusted.
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2018, 15:33   #23
Tibarius
Swordsman

Tibarius is on a distinguished road
find doors

Plaiyng 4.1.2, there was a naga room. I cast detect doors and it says there are no doors. I was already wondering how the naga can come out then ... but obviously there was one side with a door which was not detected. So is the detection not 100 % anymore or anyone an idea what happened there?
Tibarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2018, 20:12   #24
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibarius View Post
Plaiyng 4.1.2, there was a naga room. I cast detect doors and it says there are no doors. I was already wondering how the naga can come out then ... but obviously there was one side with a door which was not detected. So is the detection not 100 % anymore or anyone an idea what happened there?
Door detection now only detects secret doors.
Old January 11, 2018, 02:32   #25
luneya
Adept

luneya is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
Door detection now only detects secret doors.
Which, although not strictly a bug, seems to be stupid. Why shouldn't door detection reveal all doors? There doesn't seem to be any thematic reason why this should be so, and the nerf doesn't make the gameplay significantly more challenging (except maybe in situations like the OP's, where you want to know which side of a pit has the door for LOS reasons).
luneya is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2018, 17:12   #26
Tibarius
Swordsman

Tibarius is on a distinguished road
me fool

Me fool ... i thought detect doors, detect doors!

Either rename spell to detect secret doors or please detect all doors, thanks!
Tibarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2018, 04:43   #27
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Not necessarily a bug, as it has existed for a very long time, so might be by design -- but, can someone please explain to me why, when @ has full resistances & protections, The Witch King of Angmar can command @ to "go away" even though every other monster with this ability, including Sauron, cannot successfully do so?
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
Old January 13, 2018, 05:36   #28
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Quote:
Not necessarily a bug, as it has existed for a very long time, so might be by design -- but, can someone please explain to me why, when @ has full resistances & protections, The Witch King of Angmar can command @ to "go away" even though every other monster with this ability, including Sauron, cannot successfully do so?
The Witch-King has the teleport away spell, which is unresistable; only nine monsters have it, including notably Nexus Quylthulgs. Sauron does not have it; he has the teleport level spell, which RNexus prevents against.
Old January 13, 2018, 06:14   #29
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
The Witch-King has the teleport away spell, which is unresistable; only nine monsters have it, including notably Nexus Quylthulgs. Sauron does not have it; he has the teleport level spell, which RNexus prevents against.
Ah, I see. Is there also no saving throw? It feels like none of the other eight succeed at TELE_AWAY once @ is sufficiently high-level and has resistances and protections, but I may be imagining this.
Old January 13, 2018, 06:52   #30
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Quote:
Ah, I see. Is there also no saving throw? It feels like none of the other eight succeed at TELE_AWAY once @ is sufficiently high-level and has resistances and protections, but I may be imagining this.
No, no saving throw. You're probably killing them too fast