AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > AAR

Old March 1, 2017, 20:05   #131
Grotug
Knight

Grotug is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kandrc View Post
With a character named "Ironfist", are you a Brent Weeks fan?
Mmm... I don't have TV so not sure who that is. I just like the expression "crush him with an iron fist!" And I ran out of ideas for Elven names.

Yay, started in a room with more M├╗maks.

Dread drops RoS <+9>. Found a scroll of ?DD but not sure I want to read it.

Man, artifacts are dropping like rain! Nothing amazing, but definitely some good stuff (I suddenly have pConf covered with two items).

I still have to make a decision between my two weapons; one grants +5 CON and the other +2 speed, though the +5 CON one has slightly better dam output. Prolly should lose the +2 speed one. (The two weapons are listed in the char dump above), but thanks to new gear, my +5CON weapon does 162 to others whereas the +2speed weapon does 149 to evil.

Last edited by Grotug; March 1, 2017 at 21:09.
Grotug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2017, 21:20   #132
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
5 CON beats 2 speed, sure.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2017, 21:47   #133
Grotug
Knight

Yeah, especially since I upgraded my speed ring from 6 to 9. I have 3 rings of damage that I never wear. Because the +3 DEX of the Cold Immunity ring boosts blows significantly that the trade off isn't worth it. But I am reticent to drop them they are (+10). I did drop the other weapon.

Just found another artifact: X6 heavy xbow (+10, +15). This is significantly better than my nazgul bow, and no more robbing an inventory slot to keep unwielding the drainer xbow! Yay

Thanks for all the replies, Pete. I really appreciate it!

EDIT: The dragon *slay* on this weapon is soo useful. Evil dudes keep summoning dragons; it was a summoned Crystal Drake that dropped the artifact bow I just picked up. My high AC and high CON mean I can take on every dragon at this depth. Lovin' it! Just smote Smaug easy peasy. I thought I was a dead man when I ran out of TO charges, but I haven't need the TO since that run in with the Archlich.

EDIT: So I found a vault (7-6) level feeling on DL53. The only troublesome monsters in it are an eye druj and elder vampire. I should be able to take the elder vampire without *too* much trouble at +19 speed. Since this isn't a permanent vault, I can just activate my ring of digging into the wall to hockey stick the eye druj since he is against a wall of the vault. No TOing needed! (Hopefully the elder vampire won't summon an archlich ).

I have 40 !CCWs. Not too shabby. Phase doors are up to 15. The Eye Druj goes down with 6 bolts, 5 of those were (+6, +6) and the other was average. Elder Vampire didn't summon anything and crumpled before my Awl-Pike. Hey, I just realized. This is the first time I am wielding an Awl-Pike. I've always been under the understanding that awl-pikes are awful. I think this one has extra dice, though (3d8). I'm a bit giddy right now because I kind of expected the blunder with the archlich and losing all my TO charges was gonna mean curtains for my @, but he keeps finding good gear without needing to TO anything. Let's see how the rest of this vault goes, but somehow I don't think I will be undone by a pack of barrow wights.... I had actually made peace with probably needing to start of and was kind of looking forward to my second attempt, but maybe I won't have to now.

I think I will dive if I find a wand of TO. I already did just skip a couple levels, but seem to be very comfortable for the depth.

This is interesting: found another Phial (this one isn't quite as good as the one I have). But it doesn't have an icon; just a red *, but when I walk over it or wear it and drop it it remains a red * on the ground.

I have never been so happy to find 31 bolts (+0, +0), but any bolts right now are a blessing. This xbow takes no prisoners.

In the below image you can see where someone commanded me to go away. So I am going to activate my ring of digging and crush the perp with my super-ballistic bolts! To quote a Rogue-themed card from Hearthstone: He'll never know what hit him.

Just as I thought, a pink Q. But he is not where I was expecting him to be...

And a single bolt ends his silly life.

And inside is a Mace of Disruption (+15, +14) *slay evil* Grants Telepathy. What DL am I on? That is a 5, right? Not an 8? 53, yes, 53 is my dungeon level, not 83. So now all I need is to recall to town and put this puppy in my home until I can wield it. I got surprised by a silent watcher and lost a point of STR. As such, it does 311 to evil and 208 to others (better than my 197 with the dragon bane). It's also cursed. So I guess the question is do I lug it around until I find another remove curse scroll? Even without the curse, I'm not sure I'd wield it right now since the dragon bane is so useful right now. On the other hand, this could be an endgame weapon. Given how things are going, it seems unlikely I won't find another, but just because I'm on a streak of finding good gear doesn't mean my luck won't change.

Last edited by Grotug; March 1, 2017 at 22:49. Reason: Take with me a cursed MoD of *slay evil* & Telepathy (+15, +14)?
Old March 1, 2017, 21:59   #134
Sphara
Apprentice

Sphara is on a distinguished road
I wonder if we did find a super good crossbow exactly the same time?
Sphara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2017, 22:55   #135
Grotug
Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphara View Post
I wonder if we did find a super good crossbow exactly the same time?
I just found mine; when did you find yours? I haven't visited your thread in a little bit.

There is also a scythe of slicing of lightning here that does 335 to non-rLightning; that's a far cry from the 197 of my current weapon. Man, I don't like these decisions! It's to-dam is only +8 but I guess it has a good brand.
Old March 2, 2017, 00:02   #136
Pete Mack
Prophet

Use the MoD, even with a curse. You'll grow into it, and ESP is huge. You'll want *remove curse* for it though.
Old March 2, 2017, 00:27   #137
Grotug
Knight

Well, I already have ESP with a helm is why I'm on the fence, and the 330 lightning brand is pretty good, too with the scythe of slicing.

This MoD is a fair bit nasty to Undead. I still don't know what the curse is, though. I am hauling all 3 weapons around until I can make a decision. I guess the scythe of slicing should go first.

Between my ▄ber xbow and MoD the Vampire Lord regretted waking up this morning. Here's hoping for a crown of might.

Just picked up a wand of TO (so now I have 2 and 7 charges). Also there's gloves of combat <+2> (+2, +5); kinda tempting but I have a good set of artifact gloves, though they have no to dam bonuses.

And no time too soon on that wand of TO. Immediately after getting it I chased after Wren the Unclean nearby and he decides summoning a great storm wyrm is reasonable for his power level. Well okay, then.

Geez, my luck continues. Decided to take on that Storm Wyrm since I stumbled upon him again after teleporting away from him; I was still ?Blessed so I said what the hey hasted self. Connect rate wasn't great, he breathed lightning, halfing my Hitpoints and destroying my ring of strength <+3> I !Healed (first one I've used I think) and after he died I killed some stuff and picked up a ring of STR <+5> and 2 !Healings. Gained some XP and improved my holdings; I'll take it!

Umm.... so this is odd: I just noticed that my MoD grants [+20] AC but it is not displayed anywhere on the weapon's description. I don't get where the +20AC is coming from. +20AC is from the curse. Just found a scroll of Identify and weapon gives me more AC and makes me conduct electricity.

Last edited by Grotug; March 2, 2017 at 02:04.
Old March 2, 2017, 02:23   #138
Pete Mack
Prophet

Yikes! You were lucky to survive. That's full strength electricity damage from a GSW, potentially 1600 dam at full strength. So ignore my idea of using it. I was thinking Siren or something. I'm surprised it didn't auto-ID on the first melee attack by the GSW.

Nick, this sounds like a bug!
Old March 2, 2017, 02:32   #139
Grotug
Knight

No, I'm still carrying with me the Dragonbane as a swap for just such occasions. The damage to dragons is really high on the awl-pike so I am keeping it for some time to come. There are dragons everywhere. He was slightly damaged when he breathed and his breath is something like 1053 (at least that's what my lore says, but it got reset when I started playing the dailies so it might not be its full breath damage). I will update Nick in the bugs page.
Old March 2, 2017, 14:56   #140
kandrc
Swordsman

kandrc is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grotug View Post
Mmm... I don't have TV so not sure who that is. I just like the expression "crush him with an iron fist!" And I ran out of ideas for Elven names.
Not TV. Author of epic fantasy. Ironfist is a character in his "Lightbringer" series. Mostly secondary, though important, but he had a couple of PoV chapters in the most recent book.
kandrc is offline   Reply With Quote