Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > AAR

Old February 20, 2017, 01:40   #71
chknflyrice
Adept

chknflyrice is on a distinguished road
See if you can get some shots on the Qs (I belive you said you had some frosts) if that fails and you cant burst them down at range before the titans move TO the greater and fight the lesser or just banish all of them.
chknflyrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2017, 02:58   #72
Grotug
Knight

Grotug is on a distinguished road
The problem with trying to kill a Q (I was gonna TO it if I could ever get a LOS on it) is that they summon so fast you can never get shots in on it.

Banishing the Titans and the Qs worked pretty well. Found some good items, though half of them came from drops when I decided to take on a Unique.
Grotug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2017, 04:13   #73
Patashu
Knight

Patashu is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grotug View Post
The problem with trying to kill a Q (I was gonna TO it if I could ever get a LOS on it) is that they summon so fast you can never get shots in on it.
Normally you want to kill a Q by hitting them with AoE around a corner or hockeysticking them (exploiting the asymmetrical LoS algorithm of Angband so you can see them but not vice versa). If you can't set either up, agreed, it's not worth trying to kill them.
Old February 20, 2017, 12:32   #74
Grotug
Knight

This is kinda cool. I was wondering awhile ago why the passable rubble in the town wasn't used in the dungeon. Cool to see it is now.

Unrelated to the above images: So I nearly died a *very* stupid death. I put on some unID'd gloves with +1 STR and +1 CON. Now I *know* what kind of gloves these are normally, but for some reason I didn't realize it at the time. I'm thinking the (??) is some kind of resistance, rChaos maybe or pStun; I dunno, maybe some new kind of {ego} item; I really wasn't sure. A Ranger Chieftain is going nuts with the summons, I'm not taking it too seriously as most summons aren't that bad, then I notice there is a Dracolisk two squares from me. I decide to take it on and about 40% through the fight I get hit with something and start to hallucinate (guess the [??] wasn't rChaos!) I still know where the Dracolisk is, though, so I figure I should finish him first even though I'm in the 300s now in HP. So I finish him, down to about 240HP and then boom, hit by fire from a Hell Wyrm right after my eyes clear. 12HP {more} 8hp {more} the messages finally end. Most of the animals are basically harmless, but I think an Ethereal Hound was still alive, but my turn comes and I have 8HP. What is going on here? Oh, duh, the gauntlets are Combat! There was another very large vault nearby, but I !*healed and _TS and then ?Recalled, taking down another Dracolisk in a hallway with some powerful bolts while waiting for the recall to kick in. Time to put the gloves of slaying back on. Jeeeez.

Last edited by Grotug; February 20, 2017 at 12:39.
Old February 20, 2017, 17:09   #75
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
You're nearly strong enough to aggravate, but it'd be a disaster in a wide open stronghold room like that. Very lucky escape.
Pete Mack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2017, 02:38   #76
Grotug
Knight

Pushing my luck....

Decided to take on WK of Angmar. Was having a good go of it after picking up two !Speeds, upgrades to my Dwarven shield (+2 to +4) and RoD (+11 to +15). 766vs Undead.

Been on the level longer than I should (TO'd Maeglin about 6+ times), but figured Angmar is a good target for XP. Did swap my "Trickery for "Sustainance while fighting him. I had him on the ropes when he commands me to go away:

Maeglin summons Vecna.

Still have 2 scrolls of Teleportation.

Teleported near the Witch King. WK of Angmar nets me 115K EXP. That may be a record for me for a single kill (S&M aside). WK drained 5k so 120k-5k = 115k).

The Forest Wight touches you. You lose 51k EXP. Okaayyyyy... It's a Forest Wight... Yeah, it gave Level 1 Frodo in the Barrow Downs some trouble, but I'm a CL41 High Elf Warrior! smh....

Been finding good bolts after good bolts. My worst bolts are seeker bolts +9,+8. Gonna use my HM bolts on Sauron and my HM shots on Morgy (have a decent buckland at home).

Last edited by Grotug; February 21, 2017 at 06:37.
Old February 21, 2017, 06:37   #77
Grotug
Knight

Aaaaand I found The One in a large square cubby/compartment/maze vault. This is my second visit to DL99. Sauron is safely holed up behind some rubble in an oval room (turns out he isn't all that powerful after all; I was digging through rubble at CL1!) Hmm... should I wear it? Will Morgoth pop out of nowhere demanding it back?

The nutty thing is I overlooked it. I had cleared the bottom section of the vault save for one cubby... for no explicable reason. The only reason I went back is because I just quaffed an !*Enlightenment*. The description of the ring caught my attention (UnID'd rings at this stage of the game generally do....) so I went back to the coordinates and whaddya know.

I sorta want to wear it but I'm honestly a bit afraid to put it on my finger.

Here's a character dump; but I am standing on the ring so it will not be revealed in the dump! (I have yet to pick it up). http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=20344
Old February 21, 2017, 08:15   #78
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Always, always wear The One. You'll be a long time looking again, and you will regret not wearing it. Endgame characters can easily handle the aggravation, especially when there are only the two bosses left to kill. You can really use +5 speed in any case.
Pete Mack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2017, 12:34   #79
Grotug
Knight

Okay Pete. Fair points. puts on ring. Well, my base speed is now +26 (-2 for weight) up from +16 thanks to sandals of speed I wasn't wearing due to artifact sandals <+5> Speed that were granting <+4> CON. Should have +30 base speed by the time I'm done with this vault as there is a RoS that is probably better than the +10 one I'm currently wearing. Well, time to take down Gothmog.

Holy Hot Hippogriffs, I've never been this powerful before. Hello Nightwalker-oh, goodbye. Thought you were gonna hang around a little longer. Archlich? Good day....Goodbye! And when I say Goodbye, I mean 868 vs Undead, not TO. Only thing is I only have 1?Teleportation. This will make meleeing all the drainers difficult, and I don't have pStun in the event I end up in a swarm of plasma hounds. On the other hand, after I am finished looting this vault, I am going to put a whole lotta bolts in Sauron's bottom (my melee vs Sauron is relatively low, but still over 500). lol, I gained a level. All right, artifact slippers of speed <+11> That's the first time I put something on my feet that did more than +10 speed.

Fantastic! Artifact light [+22] +5 Tunneling. And just picked up an artifact amulet of tunneling, too, and AC is king when Aggravating, as is Tunneling for sculpting cheesy Knights Move of Diagonal Rain of Ranged Terror (hitherto known as KMoDRoRT). And found even more bolts of wounding! I am very glad I put on the one. This is fun . +215 AC . Bring on the Horned Reapers! Bring on the Pit Fiends!

Whoah, I just ?phased inside the vault. Need to heal up a bit before crush Cantoras.

Lol, so the Archlich I killed earlier? Nothing is known about its attack. Teehee.

Last edited by Grotug; February 21, 2017 at 13:15. Reason: Gothmog actually alone in a cubby.
Old February 21, 2017, 21:11   #80
chknflyrice
Adept

chknflyrice is on a distinguished road
Umm... so I have said before that I have been playing on a much older version till recently but is The One no longer a drop off of Sauron? The last time I killed him I didn't see it so I thought it was a bug but here you are talking about getting it from somewhere else.
chknflyrice is offline   Reply With Quote