AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > AAR

Old August 8, 2017, 03:10   #11
Namdeht
Rookie

Namdeht is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingwe Ingweron View Post
Looking good! Careful going until you can replace one of your MB1 copies. Once home, you can do some house cleaning, getting rid of some stuff, like weapons that will not be better than what you have now, amulet of lightning, etc.
I've done a bit of tidying up around the place, I find it really hard to squelch artifact weapons. I nearly had to grab my wrist to force myself to press the keys. I wish there was a museum in town where you could drop/sell artifacts. You wouldn't be able to get them back from the museum but it would be nice to know they were there.

I've updated the dump again, currently I have a bit of a dilemma. I found a crown of the magi which will give me ESP but I would lose pConf from Holhenneth. I feel like @ will survive longer if I stick with pConf but I really really do want telepathy. Now I write it out it seems pretty clear that sticking with pConf is the right play.
Namdeht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8, 2017, 03:33   #12
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
ESP is huge. Carry Holhenneth as a swap if you're worried about confusion. ESP prevents so many player errors. rConf is only useful in limited melee situations (and fighting Gorlim and the like, which you are nowhere near strong enough to do.)
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8, 2017, 07:21   #13
Namdeht
Rookie

Namdeht is on a distinguished road
Well, I found my stupid thing. Went all John Rambo on the Balrog of Moria, just to see what loot he'd drop. The really (and I do mean really) stupid thing was that he woke up and breathed fire for half my HP so I teleported away, but then instead of just leaving the level like I should have I healed up and went back to see if I could take him. There aren't enough facepalms for that sort of stupidity
Namdeht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9, 2017, 19:37   #14
Sky
Knight

Sky is on a distinguished road
You got yourself killed by that poor excuse of a balrog? Shame on you. He should be buffed, he's pathetic.
Old August 9, 2017, 21:53   #15
Estie
Veteran

Estie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namdeht View Post
Well, I found my stupid thing. Went all John Rambo on the Balrog of Moria, just to see what loot he'd drop. The really (and I do mean really) stupid thing was that he woke up and breathed fire for half my HP so I teleported away, but then instead of just leaving the level like I should have I healed up and went back to see if I could take him. There aren't enough facepalms for that sort of stupidity
He is usually not a good target; if you are fire immune, have teleport other charges to spare and are doing 1000 dam/round vs demons, then kill him asap of course, but normally he is best left alone. Chances are his drop wont make up for the invested resources even if the risk of death is negligible.
Estie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10, 2017, 17:19   #16
Sky
Knight

The balrog of moria is a giant pussy. *Fire and CCW is enough to kill it.

1000 dps lol.
Old August 10, 2017, 17:24   #17
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
If you wait to have immunity to fire before you fight the Balrog of Moria, then no wonder you think it's harmless. The Balrog's not quite as one-note as the elemental uniques (Vargo, Ariel, et al), but by far its biggest damage output is fire-elemental.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10, 2017, 18:38   #18
Sky
Knight

compared to the bigger balrogs, such as Lungortin, Moria is a walk in the park. Slow Monsters, Haste, resistance or !rFire, and it's over. Nothing like fighting Gothmog (where you need a ton of TO for all the stuff he summons) or Lungortin's much bigger damage output.
Old August 10, 2017, 23:28   #19
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Sky-
He's native to DL 50. For that level, he's very tough unless you are diving pretty slowly. (Ranger with double resist and branded arrows is the possible exception.)
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11, 2017, 11:41   #20
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
Despite Sky's contentions and, to my mind unnecessary, ad hominim attacks.... Moria is not hard IF you have the right set-up for that encounter. BUT, like any unique, he is a target of opportunity. If the set-up isn't right, avoid the conflict. The only conflicts that really matter are Sauron and Morgoth. If you've been diving fast, it's quite likely you won't have the right set-up the first time you encounter the Balrog of Moria.
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote