AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old November 3, 2017, 20:43   #31
AnonymousHero
Veteran

AnonymousHero is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kandrc View Post
People ask for this one frequently. Given the importance of inventory management and that the home is essentially an intermittently accessible extended inventory, it would have huge implications on the game.
That's nonsense. About the only effect it has is that you can just drop stuff off and then forget about it, i.e. speeding up the game. Yes, I do literally mean forget -- if you picked up a so-so item that might come in handy in the future you can just stash it without having to agonize over tiny trade-offs that are actually unlikely to affect you. (A good example would be randarts with pStun. It's a really rare flag, and quite valuable, but if it's on a crappy randart... what do you do? Do you keep the crappy randart at home just in case you find a complementary set of great equipment?)

No, just ditch the limit, and let people get on with the process of actually playing rather than agonizing over (ultimately) pointless choices.
AnonymousHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3, 2017, 21:06   #32
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
I'm pretty sure if you open up lib/gamedata/constants.txt, and change the line "store:inven-max:24", you can add/remove slots from all stores, including your home.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3, 2017, 23:01   #33
AnonymousHero
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
I'm pretty sure if you open up lib/gamedata/constants.txt, and change the line "store:inven-max:24", you can add/remove slots from all stores, including your home.
Theoretically that should work, but last time I tried (a couple of years ago) it's pretty buggy, unfortunately. IIRC, the problems are basically caused by the revamped non-paginating store UI not being tested for larger values.

Last edited by AnonymousHero; November 4, 2017 at 02:15.
Old November 4, 2017, 00:30   #34
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
You'd need to make a longer list of symbols for the identifier list (a-zA-Z1-0, less the union of store control characters for both keymaps is a place to start.) If that's not enough, you'll need to do it without identifiers, as is done now for knowledge menus.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4, 2017, 02:17   #35
AnonymousHero
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
You'd need to make a longer list of symbols for the identifier list (a-zA-Z1-0, less the union of store control characters for both keymaps is a place to start.) If that's not enough, you'll need to do it without identifiers, as is done now for knowledge menus.
I'm not sure if you're responding to me, but, in response to that: ... or you could just have multiple pages, like there used to be. (I appreciate that the current store/home UI is probably a little more streamlined for the 'default' case.)
Old November 4, 2017, 04:16   #36
Pete Mack
Prophet

AH--
Internally, the old store interface was a rats' nest. The new interface uses the same menu UI as the rest of the game. It'd be pretty easy to make a new menu skin (or option) that uses paged choices, but I don't see that happening just to let people play with the limits file.
Old November 11, 2017, 11:11   #37
CivBesch
Apprentice

CivBesch is on a distinguished road
What if extra space would only be available for those using the 'sell' option, as that can make a huge difference for being able to stock things in inventory
CivBesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2017, 11:55   #38
Pete Mack
Prophet

That's a huge advantage in gameplay as well. You're not nothing limited to carrying useless stuff in those extra slots.... It's worth noting that even undi the current rules, you can expect more money with selling enabled--at a cost of inconvenience. Slot choice is an important part of the game.
Old November 12, 2017, 00:23   #39
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
If I had the choice between no-selling with current inventory constraints, or selling with expanded inventory, then I would probably take selling, despite the fact that I hate having to load my character down with useless crap just to hock it to a vendor for money. Inventory space is hugely valuable.

In fact, if there were a game mode that disabled selling but didn't give extra cash from drops (the way the current no-selling mode does), but did give the extra inventory space, I would probably preferentially play that mode, up until I realized just how much having extra inventory space warps the game. Even just a single extra slot gives a lot of flexibility to the player.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12, 2017, 00:37   #40
Estie
Veteran

Estie is on a distinguished road
Inventory space is what the game is all about, changeing the size even by 1 is huge.

Home inventory, however, has very little impact on game difficulty and decision making. I would definitely want more, if only to be able to store randarts that are unlikely to be used, but would lead to an interesting endgame setup if used.

A small home inventory has the effect of reducing kit variance, not as much as, but similar to, ironman.
Estie is offline   Reply With Quote