Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old October 31, 2017, 09:20   #1
PowerWyrm
Veteran

PowerWyrm is on a distinguished road
WS.Reputation.1

Every time I launch the game, Symantec antivirus spits this. So please, download and play the game more
Old October 31, 2017, 21:42   #2
Bostock
Swordsman

Bostock is on a distinguished road
You'll get a better chance of a reaction if you include a link.

(Your sig leads to an error page btw.)
Old November 2, 2017, 09:51   #3
PowerWyrm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostock View Post
You'll get a better chance of a reaction if you include a link.

(Your sig leads to an error page btw.)
I know, the Mangband forums are down for a while now, and I keep the link in hope they're gonna be back up... someday. If not, I'll change it to my PWMAngband page, or to the MAngband main page.
Old November 2, 2017, 13:15   #4
Rydel
Apprentice

Rydel is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Rydel
If an anti-virus is giving an alert on it, it might be a good idea to upload the file to Virustotal.com and post a link to the results. That will check it with a whole bunch of different popular anti-virus programs, so the dev team can know which are getting false positives.

Though, from experience, the real hard part is getting them to reclassify the program if you aren't one of their customers.
I'm trying to think of an analogy, and the best I can come up with is Angband is like fishing for sharks, and Sil is like hunting a bear with a pocket knife and a pair of chopsticks. It's not great. -Nick
Rydel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2, 2017, 17:49   #5
PowerWyrm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rydel View Post
If an anti-virus is giving an alert on it, it might be a good idea to upload the file to Virustotal.com and post a link to the results. That will check it with a whole bunch of different popular anti-virus programs, so the dev team can know which are getting false positives.

Though, from experience, the real hard part is getting them to reclassify the program if you aren't one of their customers.
It's not a virus, it's part of Symantec policy: if the file has not been downloaded at least 100 times, a "WS.Reputation.1" alert is thrown.
Old November 3, 2017, 13:28   #6
Rydel
Apprentice

Rydel is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Rydel
I knew it wasn't a virus, but rather a false positive. I wasn't aware of Symantec's 100 download thing, though. In that case, the solution is that more people need to play Angband!

EDIT: Which, looking back, was your original suggestion anyway.
I'm trying to think of an analogy, and the best I can come up with is Angband is like fishing for sharks, and Sil is like hunting a bear with a pocket knife and a pair of chopsticks. It's not great. -Nick
Rydel is offline   Reply With Quote