Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 31, 2017, 13:06   #1
CivBesch
Apprentice
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 93
CivBesch is on a distinguished road
melee combat

Does the following calculation still stand:

CALCULATING MELEE COMBAT ABILITY
--------------------------------

Many factors are taken into account when considering your character's skill in
successfully landing a blow in hand-to-hand combat. The outline for
calculating the numerical rating of this skill is as follows:

base class ability
+ racial modifier
+ level modifier
-------------------------------
base melee combat skill

strength modifier
+ dexterity modifier
- armor encumbrance penalty
+ equipment bonuses/penalties
- heavy weapon penalty
- edged weapon penalty
+ temporary spell bonus
- stunning penalty
-------------------------------
bonus to combat skill

(from thangorodroim.net)
CivBesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31, 2017, 14:26   #2
Gwarl
Swordsman
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 398
Gwarl is on a distinguished road
I believe so, that would be a list of all the variables in the equation which determines your fighting skill (which is just a number).

The in-game helpfiles go to an awful lot of detail about this stuff as well.
Gwarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31, 2017, 16:39   #3
CivBesch
Apprentice
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 93
CivBesch is on a distinguished road
The calculations and tables that follow the above introduction, take a series of pages, which look very interesting to understand if you want to have an idea about the efficiency of your character in combat.

I would be very interested in knowing if all of those calculations also still stand today:
http://www.thangorodrim.net/spoilers/attack.txt
CivBesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31, 2017, 17:17   #4
Sideways
Apprentice
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 74
Sideways is on a distinguished road
Much of it is out of date; and the simplest way of seeing your to-hit is with Shift+C anyway.

If you want a quick idea of how likely you are to hit a monster:

- press Shift+C, look where it says "To-hit: 102,+42" or whatever (be sure to get the melee number - there's a different to-hit listed for ranged combat)
- add those together and multiply by 3 to get number X (in this example, (102+42)*3=432)
- take the monster's AC, divide by 1.5 and round down to get number Y (say 195/1.5=130)
- there's an automatic 12% chance of a hit, and a 5% chance of a miss
- in the remaining 83% of cases there's a Y in X chance of a miss (here 130/432=30.1%), with an upper limit of 100% of course
- the total chance of a miss is 30.1*0.83+5=30%, and therefore the total chance of a hit is 70%
__________________
The Complainer worries about the lack of activity here these days.
Sideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31, 2017, 17:21   #5
CivBesch
Apprentice
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 93
CivBesch is on a distinguished road
wow, thanks for this very valuable information.

What about the damage done? How is it easily calculated?
CivBesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31, 2017, 17:24   #6
Derakon
Prophet
 
Derakon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 8,017
Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CivBesch View Post
wow, thanks for this very valuable information.

What about the damage done? How is it easily calculated?
Hit 'I' and inspect your weapon, and it'll tell you your damage. That's the easy way. You can do the math yourself, but critical hits make things substantially more complicated. The base damage is (dice roll * slay multiplier) + to-dam bonus, but crits apply variable multipliers and flat damage bonuses (e.g. one level of crit does 1.5x + 10 damage, another does 2x + 15, etc.), and the odds of getting a crit depend on stuff like weapon weight, strength, and accuracy in a way that's really not easy to explain without basically just rewriting the code.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31, 2017, 18:48   #7
Pete Mack
Prophet
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 4,305
Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
@CivBesch--
Your to-hit probability for any monster is known via lore. Just navigate to the monster via 'l' (or 'x' in roguelike keymap), then hit 'r'. Alternatively, use the monster knowledge menu, or the monster genus interface ('/' or I think '[').
If you don't have lore for a monster (i.e, nothing more is known about' it) you can either probe it, melee it (to discover AC), or simply override the lore file (by clobbering it with a copy of monster.txt.)
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1, 2017, 06:13   #8
CivBesch
Apprentice
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 93
CivBesch is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways View Post
Much of it is out of date; and the simplest way of seeing your to-hit is with Shift+C anyway.

If you want a quick idea of how likely you are to hit a monster:

- press Shift+C, look where it says "To-hit: 102,+42" or whatever (be sure to get the melee number - there's a different to-hit listed for ranged combat)
- add those together and multiply by 3 to get number X (in this example, (102+42)*3=432)
- take the monster's AC, divide by 1.5 and round down to get number Y (say 195/1.5=130)
- there's an automatic 12% chance of a hit, and a 5% chance of a miss
- in the remaining 83% of cases there's a Y in X chance of a miss (here 130/432=30.1%), with an upper limit of 100% of course
- the total chance of a miss is 30.1*0.83+5=30%, and therefore the total chance of a hit is 70%
Thank you again for the calculation.
I also discovered that the knowledge base gives me a percentage of 'chance to hit', but I get to a different figure when using calculation.
I tried this out with a giant salamander:

- My 'To-hit is 27+16=43
- 43*3=129
- the monster's AC = 24 (I suppose that that is what is meant with 'life rating')
- 24/1.5=16
- 16/1.29=12.4
- chance of miss is 12.4*0.83+5(where does this '+5' come from?)=15.3
- chance of hits=85%

But the knowledge base tells me 69% chance to hit. Where do I go wrong?


*I find it astonishing that the AC of the monster and not his armor is used to calculate the chances to hit (one would suppose that the amor protects from being hit, not the life rating??). When using the armor rating of the salamander I arrive at 68,64. Rounded up that would be 69
CivBesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1, 2017, 06:27   #9
Pete Mack
Prophet
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 4,305
Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
It's 27+3*16 = 69, not 129. Bonus to_hit counts for more than innate.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1, 2017, 06:45   #10
CivBesch
Apprentice
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 93
CivBesch is on a distinguished road
27+3*16 = 75 !

But is still does not add up: the final figure is now 80%
CivBesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best standart melee weapons Gram Vanilla 27 January 18, 2016 09:34
melee hit probability Tibarius Vanilla 89 February 25, 2015 15:06
YAWP 4.0: melee priest Siemelink Vanilla 8 March 9, 2014 17:19
A take on melee combat (long) Estie Development 21 January 6, 2011 18:39
Best melee? Swede2378 Vanilla 22 June 16, 2010 21:03


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 17:01.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.