Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old November 6, 2017, 08:49   #11
CivBesch
Apprentice

CivBesch is on a distinguished road
I have actually 2 rings of the Mouse:
- (+0,-6) <+3>
- (+0,-11) <+3,+1>

non are accepted in the stores. I just took them out 'home' to make room and into the dungeon where I will drop them if I find better things
CivBesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6, 2017, 10:02   #12
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
The first one is actually worthwhile. +3 DEX, STL is helpful, and -6 damage may actually not reduce your damage after adding in an extra blow or two.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6, 2017, 10:11   #13
PowerWyrm
Veteran

PowerWyrm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CivBesch View Post
1. Not even the black market seems to be interested in my 2 beautiful unidentified marble rings (tried)
Trying to figure out which rings that could be. Did you learn anything about the rings? Rings of the Dog would identify the stealth penalty once worn, but not the pFear, so shop price would be negative and they wouldn't sell until you find something able to scare you. Or it could be Open Wounds. Anyway, everything wearable is now sold at a price reflecting what you actually know about the item. So you're better if you can learn the positive attributes from mix blessing items first, and then the negative ones.
Old November 6, 2017, 10:23   #14
CivBesch
Apprentice

CivBesch is on a distinguished road
O, if they are 'rings of the Mouse', isn't that their identification?

Do they still need to be identified?
CivBesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7, 2017, 21:02   #15
luneya
Adept

luneya is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CivBesch View Post
O, if they are 'rings of the Mouse', isn't that their identification?

Do they still need to be identified?
Items like those mouse rings don't auto-id until you know all their runes, but are easily recognizable with only some of their runes known. But IIRC, simply trying one of them on and whacking a townsperson should suffice to learn everything about a mouse ring. It's more of a problem with dog and open wounds, which are both obvious on a cursory inspection but harder to get full identification on. But, on the other hand, those rings are often candidates for immediate squelching (where the lack of full id doesn't matter, as you'll never see them again), whereas people actually use mouse rings.
luneya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7, 2017, 23:54   #16
kandrc
Swordsman

kandrc is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by luneya View Post
Items like those mouse rings don't auto-id until you know all their runes, but are easily recognizable with only some of their runes known. But IIRC, simply trying one of them on and whacking a townsperson should suffice to learn everything about a mouse ring. It's more of a problem with dog and open wounds, which are both obvious on a cursory inspection but harder to get full identification on. But, on the other hand, those rings are often candidates for immediate squelching (where the lack of full id doesn't matter, as you'll never see them again), whereas people actually use mouse rings.
Warriors and paladins of a few races (most notably half-trolls) use rings of the dog. If you're waking everything up anyway, may as well not be afraid.
kandrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8, 2017, 06:29   #17
luneya
Adept

luneya is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kandrc View Post
Warriors and paladins of a few races (most notably half-trolls) use rings of the dog. If you're waking everything up anyway, may as well not be afraid.
Sure, but even for them, it's a mediocre item. I play warrior a lot, and usually prefer to just carry potions of heroism and/or berserk strength until I get the intrinsic pFear at CL 30. As paladin, I'd similarly use potions until I reach a level where I can rely on the remove fear spell. I'll wear dog rings only if I have nothing better to put in the ring slot, which is usually only true in the very early game.
luneya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8, 2017, 08:10   #18
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
If you see a Ring of mouse {??} or the like, the item is cursed.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8, 2017, 13:00   #19
Sky
Knight

Sky is on a distinguished road
well, it's not like you got much stealth at CL1, so ring of the dog can help you with those annoying accolytes.

ring of the mouse is just not a good ring. by the time you can do damage with it (offsetting the -6 *IF* it's -6, because you can as easily find a -11), there's better stuff.
if you are diving like crazy, then yeah, it can help you, but i'd rather go with Escaping, although i can understand Escaping not being as easy to find.

However, i prefer to level up a bit before i go even to DL20. You can literally grind CL20 with a long corridor and some red or blue worm masses. You don't even have to take it as far as CL20, CL15 is easy enough in 3 minutes.

personally, my choice is always a ring of digging, and a stat ring, both of which can be had by DL10.
i did mage with two Escaping, warrior with DEX and STR, and i have never once worn a ring of CON or rPois.
Old November 8, 2017, 21:53   #20
Grotug
Knight

Grotug is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerWyrm View Post
Trying to figure out which rings that could be. Did you learn anything about the rings? Rings of the Dog would identify the stealth penalty once worn, but not the pFear, so shop price would be negative and they wouldn't sell until you find something able to scare you. Or it could be Open Wounds. Anyway, everything wearable is now sold at a price reflecting what you actually know about the item. So you're better if you can learn the positive attributes from mix blessing items first, and then the negative ones.
I used to sell Rings of mice for a pretty penny since I'd wear them, not attack anything, and then return to town and sell them. I also used to attack with reckless attack rings, but avoid being hit so I could sell them as rings of slaying.
Grotug is offline   Reply With Quote