Old November 7, 2017, 11:13   #1
CivBesch
Apprentice

CivBesch is on a distinguished road
Ring of Acid

I just found a Ring of Acid.

I am also wearing 2 rings: Accuracy (+19,+0) and Flames [+13]

I am also carrying around a Ring of protection [+10]

Finally I am wielding a Lead filled Mace of Slay Orc (4d3) (+4,+6)

I am at DL 15 and Character level 21, greatly enjoying turn 718388, cleaning up all levels.

Is the Ring of Acid a throw away, or should I replace one of my other rings with it?
CivBesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7, 2017, 11:50   #2
PowerWyrm
Veteran

PowerWyrm is on a distinguished road
You can pretty much throw away the ring of protection and squelch them, since you already found two elemental rings. At your level, the ball effect from the activations is way more useful than extra accuracy, so use ring of flames + ring of acid.
Old November 7, 2017, 14:15   #3
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
It depends on your weapons, but yeah: elemental rings are certainly dominant up to CL 25-30 (or whenever you start doing 100+ melee damage per turn.)
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7, 2017, 19:39   #4
CivBesch
Apprentice

Thanks for this advice.

After reading it and re-studying those rings, I come to realise that it is possible to actually shoot with them. Very interesting, my panoply is getting very diverse indeed.

They have now indeed become very useful.
Old November 10, 2017, 21:24   #5
Monkey Face
Adept

Monkey Face is on a distinguished road
Also, the + value on the elemental rings is extra protection. So =Acid(+19) is like having =Protection(+19) that can also shoot acid and give you temporary acid resistance. Of course, if you are activating it for the temporary resistance, the acid bolt (or ball or whichever it casts) will often be aimed at a monster that resists acid and therefore won't do much damage.
Monkey Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2017, 06:47   #6
CivBesch
Apprentice

O, I did not realise that either. I was convinced that the figure behind was the damage caused to the monster by the attack.

It would be nice to have some kind of wiki, where those things could be found.
Old November 11, 2017, 11:10   #7
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
I'm pretty sure this is in the help files. Numbers in brackets are AC. Numbers in parentheses are Damage. Numbers in LT/GT are stat/speed/stealth bonuses.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2017, 18:50   #8
mrfy
Scout

mrfy is on a distinguished road
Also, when you use the 'i' command to inspect the ring it says how much damage it does. For example, the ring of Flames I'm currently carrying says:

"When aimed, it fires a ball of fire with radius 2, dealing 80 damage at the center, which your device skill increases by 7 per cent"
mrfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2017, 19:05   #9
CivBesch
Apprentice

We seem to have the same ring of flames, but your skill is better, mine is only 4%.

I keep being amazed about how wrongly I sometimes interpret the value of artifacts. I found a 'rod of curing' and a 'ring of open wounds', which seem to do similar things, but when selling them in the same shop (magic shop) the price offered is greatly different: for the ring I am offered 4 and for the rod I'm offered 666.

I am also astonished that a ring of Escaping is offered 2944, although it seemed almost worthless to me, only speeding me up +4, which is not even double speed and at the same time making me afraid of melee and worse at shooting and casting spell.

I am still trying to understand much of the logic behind quite a few mechanisms!
Old November 11, 2017, 19:11   #10
kandrc
Swordsman

kandrc is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CivBesch View Post
I am also astonished that a ring of Escaping is offered 2944, although it seemed almost worthless to me, only speeding me up +4, which is not even double speed and at the same time making me afraid of melee and worse at shooting and casting spell.
Escaping is great for mages with good stealth (HE mage, hobbit mage, gnome mage), and sometimes for some priest races, too, if they're stealthy enough. A pair of them is +8, which gives you almost double speed, and is enough to get you down to speed ring depth without much effort. Less stealthy mages (and priests) favor mouse.
kandrc is offline   Reply With Quote