Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > AAR

Old February 21, 2011, 17:56   #11
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
You can cast resist poison when you need it. Just make certain you don't get surprised by poison breathers -- cast detect monsters frequently.

As for Thalkettoth vs. Arvedui, again, you can detect nexus breathers, and there aren't very many of them. I'd go with Thalkettoth, personally.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2011, 02:47   #12
Gockel
Apprentice

Gockel is on a distinguished road
ha! just had a little breakthrough!
finally got my poison resistance + a permanent source of esp and a robe of the magi which effectively doubled my sp to 100 finally...the only thing that hurts a bit is removing my nice ring of acid, aglarang was funnier with it...

anyway tomorrow i'll build up my new equipment set and then it's time to dive a bit...
thx again for all the help! don't think i would've made it so far without it... now i feel confident (which probably won't be healthy ), the only thing i'm a bit afraid of is the fact that from now on i won't know my enemies at all. 'll have to hope for all of them to sleep peacefully in order to probe them...
Gockel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2011, 02:52   #13
buzzkill
Prophet

Donated: $8
buzzkill is on a distinguished road
Hah, I've been there. Haste sooner, not later. Avoid un-probed uniques, and read the flavorful descriptions of non-unique enemies. They occasionally contain useful info.
Old February 22, 2011, 03:08   #14
Gockel
Apprentice

will do! until now i used the exp points reward as a first indicator of wether to fight or to run, but obviously it's not the best idea...
i realized that when i fought uvartha (??? the horseman, first of the ringwraiths), he was a pleasant surprise: by far the highest exp reward i had seen until then, but ridiculously easy to kill...
the first encounter with the opposite phenomenon might become more interesting and far less pleasant...
Old February 22, 2011, 07:27   #15
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gockel View Post
will do! until now i used the exp points reward as a first indicator of wether to fight or to run, but obviously it's not the best idea...
i realized that when i fought uvartha (??? the horseman, first of the ringwraiths), he was a pleasant surprise: by far the highest exp reward i had seen until then, but ridiculously easy to kill...
the first encounter with the opposite phenomenon might become more interesting and far less pleasant...
Some basic survival skills:

Inability to kill monsters kills you.
Side-effects kills you.
Damage kills you.
Double-moves kills you.
Surprises kills you.
Getting cornered kills you.

So: Plan your gear to have method of delivering as much damage as possible, resist high damage and have high HP, resist side-effects, have speed and detection and have way to avoid or get away from danger. Last one isn't necessary gear, it is more a skill. Just do not get surrounded, avoid groups of pass-wall monsters, do not wake them up if you can possibly avoid it, keep your retreat route planned ahead. If that fails, then use a "escape method", teleports of all kinds, *destruction* things like that.

Fighting one monster at the time is better than fighting eight. Use specialized things when appropriate. Learn to use swaps.

When you have high stealth having an item that aggravates with you but not on you is beneficial. You can then decide when to wake things up and which monsters to wake up. Hammerhand is especially good at that.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2011, 01:31   #16
Gockel
Apprentice

diving was postponed... didn't play long today and immediately found a "superb feeling" lvl, so i had to stay for a while... no notable uniques but lots of gear... as far as i remember:
pauragaen, full plate of isildur, lance of eorlingas, a scroll of acquirement and... calris.
didn't seem as legendary to me as i expected from what i'd read about it. more like a slightly better weapon than aglarang, but i guess i'm probably wrong about that

don't have a way to break the curse though (guess i need a *remove curse* scroll, right?) but i guess with time will bring it up sooner or later.

and i lost my last magic book 4 (? the one with haste self), need to find a new one...

so, diving day is postponed till tomorrow...

ah, one thing: it's true that i should read the scroll of acquirement as deep as possible in order to get something nice, right?

thx, timo for your aggravation hint! need some more practising with this but i already used it once to my advantage...
Old February 23, 2011, 01:45   #17
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Opinions differ on when to read Acquirement. The results you get from it depend on the dungeon level you are currently standing in, so certainly you shouldn't read it in the town. However, I generally favor reading it as soon as possible, on the theory that a small advantage now is worth more than a big advantage later because current small advantages make it more likely that I will survive to later. Especially since ego items get more and more common as you go deeper, so the relative advantage of Acquirement vs. killing a few orcs goes down.

Of course, odds are you'll get nothing useful in any case.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2011, 01:54   #18
buzzkill
Prophet

Donated: $8
buzzkill is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
Of course, odds are you'll get nothing useful in any case.
Exactly. You can be disappointed now, or disappointed later.
Old February 23, 2011, 09:56   #19
Mondkalb
Knight

Mondkalb is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gockel View Post
diving was postponed... didn't play long today and immediately found a "superb feeling" lvl, so i had to stay for a while... no notable uniques but lots of gear... as far as i remember:
pauragaen, full plate of isildur, lance of eorlingas, a scroll of acquirement and... calris.
didn't seem as legendary to me as i expected from what i'd read about it. more like a slightly better weapon than aglarang, but i guess i'm probably wrong about that

don't have a way to break the curse though (guess i need a *remove curse* scroll, right?) but i guess with time will bring it up sooner or later.

and i lost my last magic book 4 (? the one with haste self), need to find a new one...

so, diving day is postponed till tomorrow...

ah, one thing: it's true that i should read the scroll of acquirement as deep as possible in order to get something nice, right?

thx, timo for your aggravation hint! need some more practising with this but i already used it once to my advantage...

I don't know whether this might have been changed in the new version but you could read enchant weapon scrolls on Calris until it is above zero which would finally break the curse.
Mondkalb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2011, 10:50   #20
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondkalb View Post
I don't know whether this might have been changed in the new version but you could read enchant weapon scrolls on Calris until it is above zero which would finally break the curse.
It's easier now, even failing enchantments and lower than +0 might break the curse.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote