Gockel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2011, 13:27   #22
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gockel View Post
nice to know, then calris shall soon taste blood
*remove curse* and priest Dispel curse also remove heavy curses.

Hmmmm...nightly editions have a broken "restore item" scrolls. I wonder, do they restore/remove curses too?
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2011, 15:52   #23
Gockel
Apprentice

Gockel is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
Opinions differ on when to read Acquirement. The results you get from it depend on the dungeon level you are currently standing in, so certainly you shouldn't read it in the town. However, I generally favor reading it as soon as possible, on the theory that a small advantage now is worth more than a big advantage later because current small advantages make it more likely that I will survive to later. Especially since ego items get more and more common as you go deeper, so the relative advantage of Acquirement vs. killing a few orcs goes down.

Of course, odds are you'll get nothing useful in any case.
hehe, just tried it at 2550'... got a crown of seeing. perfectly matches that ugly little resistance hole in my equipment (neither had blindness, nor light nor dark). lovely, i like this game the only pity is that i'll have to remove my crown of telepathy. not sure yet what i'll do, guess i'll just keep the crown of seeing as a swap... or i'll use theoden for esp again...
Old February 24, 2011, 12:22   #24
Gockel
Apprentice

guess i'm really lucky. played for another hour, diving a bit (~9lvls?) to 3000 and on the way i found boots of speed +8, a sling of buckland +2 and holhenneth... i start getting excited and a bit scared... just met my first undead pit with 7 archlichs and some other stuff (dracolichs/demilichs?), and as i didn't realize that they're awake from the beginning and pass through walls, it was a narrow escape... going to wear theoden for esp constantly now whenever i'm not fighting.

anyway, thanks again for all the help, hope i can make it a bit further - about 40 lvls would feel satisfactory but i guess that might get a bit difficult with all the unknown nasty stuff ahead...
Old February 24, 2011, 19:54   #25
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Calris is much tougher to make useful than it used to be, because enchantment scrolls are no longer available in the stores. It will take a long time to find enough to enchant Calris up to +0.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2011, 20:07   #26
Gockel
Apprentice

umm, i guess i'm lucky with this too... i'm still playing v3.1.2 and they do sell enchantment scrolls in the shop.
but still i only got it to -16 yet... so it will still take a while until i can use it - if i last that long...
Old February 24, 2011, 20:36   #27
PowerDiver
Prophet

PowerDiver is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gockel View Post
umm, i guess i'm lucky with this too... i'm still playing v3.1.2 and they do sell enchantment scrolls in the shop.
but still i only got it to -16 yet... so it will still take a while until i can use it - if i last that long...
If you use heroism and berserk out of some dungeon spellbook, that makes up for it. If you can spare a slot for ?chant even better.
PowerDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2011, 22:56   #28
Gockel
Apprentice

uh, wow... never thought of this! i guess i just start getting a (small) clue how many possibilities this game has in every situation...
don't have a book with heroism or berserk though. guess i'll simply use aglarang for some more time.
Old February 24, 2011, 23:26   #29
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
The nightlies have added your chance to hit to monster descriptions, so if you're playing them then you can see how Calris's hit malus affects combat.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2011, 07:46   #30
Twilight
Apprentice

Twilight is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
The nightlies have added your chance to hit to monster descriptions, so if you're playing them then you can see how Calris's hit malus affects combat.
Delurking to say that this little UI improvement is awesome news. It has always annoyed me that you can't (trivially) see the chance to hit a monster.

Re-entering lurkmode to continue playing another game (though avidly following the huge amount of changes to the game in the forums).