Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > AAR

Old September 15, 2012, 16:42   #1
fizzix
Prophet

fizzix is on a distinguished road
Let's Play: Exhibitor the kobold Rogue

Now that 3.4.0 is finally out, I can start my next project. A Let's play Angband. I'm going to try out a kobold rogue. I uploaded the first video.

Any comments on A/V quality would be appreciated, as well as any suggestions for improvements. I'll wait a bit before working on the next video.

Ladder dump here.

Edit: I've replaced the first video with a new one that has proper audio/video syncing. I changed the link appropriately.

Last edited by fizzix; September 15, 2012 at 21:22.
fizzix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15, 2012, 19:34   #2
getter77
Adept

getter77 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to getter77 Send a message via MSN to getter77 Send a message via Yahoo to getter77
-Audio gets a good ways ahead of the video early on, which is pretty much an ender for a general audience....so definitely try to keep tabs on that. As it goes otherwise, just take your time explaining things in due course and try to telegraph deliberate moves all the while---a good way to both inform and help the fight against inattentiveness. In other words, steal as much as possible from Debo's Sil runs and TonberryToby's older Angband LP.

-ASCII is a good standard, though if there's no grand reason to be unable to, perhaps the most attention would be garnered by brandishing Shockbolt's fine new tileset?
getter77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15, 2012, 20:50   #3
fizzix
Prophet

I'm really sorry about the syncing issue. My test videos were synched properly. I changed some audio settings and tested out two other non-angband videos today and they both synched correctly, all the way through the youtube upload process. Hopefully the rest of the videos will be fine. I'll make the second one short as well (very short if I get killed by maggot's dogs)

I really wanted to do tiles but I was nervous about being actually able to play with too many changes. I'll show off the tiles at some point, and maybe I'll play with them in the future, but for now I think I need the comfort of ascii.

Edit: actually, thinking about it, since it's just the first video, I might just suicide the character and replay the beginning. That's probably the best way to go.
Old September 16, 2012, 02:08   #4
fizzix
Prophet

Part 2 is up and it looks like the syncing was fine for a longer video. I'll probably try to keep them to this length (25-35 minutes), but as you all know it's easy to lose track of time when you play.
Old September 16, 2012, 17:49   #5
fizzix
Prophet

Part 3 is available.
Old September 16, 2012, 19:58   #6
getter77
Adept

getter77 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to getter77 Send a message via MSN to getter77 Send a message via Yahoo to getter77
Yep, there ya go---seem to be hitting your stride. I'd suppose you want to remember to disarm traps whenever possible for the extra exp?
getter77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18, 2012, 00:17   #7
fizzix
Prophet

Part 4 has been uploaded. I've already recorded part 5 also, and I'll post it tomorrow.

I'm gunning for one upload a day.
Old September 18, 2012, 23:40   #8
fizzix
Prophet

Part 5 is on schedule.

What do people think about handling character death. I would give myself about a 35% chance of dying in a normal game and probably at least 50% when including the added distraction of trying to add audio commentary. I haven't died yet, but there's always a chance that it could change in the next couple hours. My options are:

1) Save scum and tell no-one (i.e. preserve the illusion which keeps excitment.)
2) Save scum but tell everyone (honesty is most important.)
3) Don't save scum. (maybe next time a let's play will make it to the bottom half of the dungeon)

I am copying save files regardless, because I know I will make a recording error at some point. So all three options are viable at any point. Opinions?
Old September 19, 2012, 00:00   #9
Scatha
Swordsman

Scatha is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzix View Post
What do people think about handling character death. I would give myself about a 35% chance of dying in a normal game and probably at least 50% when including the added distraction of trying to add audio commentary. I haven't died yet, but there's always a chance that it could change in the next couple hours. My options are:

1) Save scum and tell no-one (i.e. preserve the illusion which keeps excitment.)
3) Don't save scum. (maybe next time a let's play will make it to the bottom half of the dungeon)

I am copying save files regardless, because I know I will make a recording error at some point. So all three options are viable at any point. Opinions?
It depends a bit whether your main purpose is to:
(i) introduce people to the game
(ii) let people get enjoyment by playing vicariously

In the first case I'd say (3), and in the second case perhaps (2) (showing the video where you die). However I'd go further -- I'd play a bit more riskily than you usually might, not actively trying to suicide, but getting into more hairy situations (which are fun) and hopefully dying. I think death is an important and exciting part of a roguelike, and it's good to show that. For (i) it's kind of nice if you can also leave the promise of something more which can be done in subsequent games.

Note that I'm not actually against savescumming without telling people -- if you needed to do this several times to get to DL10, it might be sensible. I just think showing (some) deaths is probably good.

Anyhow, good luck with the future videos!
Scatha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19, 2012, 12:38   #10
PowerWyrm
Veteran

PowerWyrm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzix View Post
Part 5 is on schedule.

For me it's clear: a "let's play" means death is final and ends the recording; a "walkthrough" means showing every aspect of the game and continue even if you die until you manage to kill Morgoth, show what can be done afterwards (like finding the One Ring) and retire the character as a winner. Now you have just to decide if it's a "let's play" you want to do or a "walkthrough".