Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > AAR

Old September 19, 2012, 22:29   #11
fizzix
Prophet

fizzix is on a distinguished road
These are both interesting points. I guess personally I want to both show a reasonably complete game to the world, and enjoy a fun game of angband. There are other let's plays out there, but they don't get to anywhere near the endgame, and certainly not to a Morgoth battle. I haven't thought about the distinction between "let's play" and "walkthrough" as PowerWyrm has. I'm not sure the term "walkthrough" even makes much sense for a random game like Angban. I guess it makes as much sense as a walkthrough of Civilization, but I'm not sure what that exactly entails.

I also know from personal experiences watching let's plays, that it's unappealing when it ends suddenly with a complete death or something similar. There's something very unsatisfying about that, from a viewer's perspective. (which is why I'm glad that debo managed to win his Sil let's play. And I honestly don't care if the character actually died on the way, that's fine.)
fizzix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19, 2012, 22:54   #12
debo
Veteran

debo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzix View Post
These are both interesting points. I guess personally I want to both show a reasonably complete game to the world, and enjoy a fun game of angband. There are other let's plays out there, but they don't get to anywhere near the endgame, and certainly not to a Morgoth battle. I haven't thought about the distinction between "let's play" and "walkthrough" as PowerWyrm has. I'm not sure the term "walkthrough" even makes much sense for a random game like Angban. I guess it makes as much sense as a walkthrough of Civilization, but I'm not sure what that exactly entails.

I also know from personal experiences watching let's plays, that it's unappealing when it ends suddenly with a complete death or something similar. There's something very unsatisfying about that, from a viewer's perspective. (which is why I'm glad that debo managed to win his Sil let's play. And I honestly don't care if the character actually died on the way, that's fine.)
I found a middle ground. What I actually did with my videos was play the upcoming segment off-camera a couple of times to see what unexpected things could kill me. (Not always -- just when I felt things would be tough.)

The major reason I had to do this is that character type is sort of uneasy between 600'-800', and I was waiting 3-4 days at a time between playthroughs. My poor memory was getting me killed more than anything.

If I'd died during an on-camera segment, though, I probably would have left that character dead and started a new series.

I don't think this would help with Vanilla because it's not as regimented as Sil. Sil has a sort of fixed set of hazards that are common at each floor, and although you can still die to randomness, I don't think it's quite as big of a spread of randomness as you'd get with Vanilla.

If I was doing a let's play of Vanilla, I would probably savescum for exactly the reason you mentioned -- I'd be pissed if I watched you play for 25 hours and then you died because an offscreen Drolem breathed on you or whatever. I have to deal with that when I play; I don't particularly want to deal with that when I watch

Sil is short enough (and has enough variety of builds) that it's pretty fun to start over. I am pretty sick of killing Wolves and Orc Scouts though
debo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19, 2012, 23:08   #13
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzix View Post
I also know from personal experiences watching let's plays, that it's unappealing when it ends suddenly with a complete death or something similar. There's something very unsatisfying about that, from a viewer's perspective.
I think death is such a part of Angband that it should be included. Save-scumming to me would disrupt the authenticity of the experience.

But then I, with my two (2) winners am appalled that you expect a 35% success rate...
Old September 19, 2012, 23:36   #14
fizzix
Prophet

Part 6 is up.
Old September 20, 2012, 01:03   #15
getter77
Adept

getter77 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to getter77 Send a message via MSN to getter77 Send a message via Yahoo to getter77
I'd be ok with on camera deaths, so long as they were acknowledged and tallied up proper while being explained. Past a certain point it would become a death-fest though, and at such a point I'd probably sooner see a fresh and comprehensive crack at another class in turn outright while being wiser for it.
getter77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20, 2012, 02:03   #16
fizzix
Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by getter77 View Post
I'd be ok with on camera deaths, so long as they were acknowledged and tallied up proper while being explained. Past a certain point it would become a death-fest though, and at such a point I'd probably sooner see a fresh and comprehensive crack at another class in turn outright while being wiser for it.
Death-fest is not likely. Basically my deaths will be either a bad luck death (teleport into hound room, spawned AMHD) or an inattention death.

We're looking at something like a 80% chance of winning after I get ESP + _destruction, and maybe something like 65% with one of those two.

Of course the whole recording thing does test my attention levels...
Old September 20, 2012, 12:35   #17
PowerWyrm
Veteran

PowerWyrm is on a distinguished road
In fact, showing some deaths would be a nice addition to pinpoint some of the common mistakes done by players: ignorance of resistances vs depth, teleporting at low health into a hound pack... Just make a copy of your savefile before the end of a video, show the death, end the video and start next video from the pre-death savefile.
Old September 20, 2012, 15:55   #18
fizzix
Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerWyrm View Post
In fact, showing some deaths would be a nice addition to pinpoint some of the common mistakes done by players: ignorance of resistances vs depth, teleporting at low health into a hound pack... Just make a copy of your savefile before the end of a video, show the death, end the video and start next video from the pre-death savefile.
That's an interesting idea. I'm keeping *all* the save files after each video for no particular reason. But I can go back afterwards and pick some of them to show how easy it is to 'achieve' a stupid death (provided I don't die for real.)

Another question I have is how often should I pause video to do repetitive tasks, like slaughtering wolves in a room, which requires lots of retreating and advancing. I'm thinking this is a good way to reduce video length without losing anything interesting. I've already cut a few of these situations out at this point. Is this a good idea?
Old September 21, 2012, 00:32   #19
fizzix
Prophet

part 7 is uploaded.
Old September 21, 2012, 17:32   #20
fizzix
Prophet

Part 8 is up or at least will be shortly.