Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Variants

Old January 27, 2015, 20:21   #101
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
Is there any way to protect gear from fire damage? I'm on a fire resistant mount (carrion) & trailing 2 fire breathers (baby reds). I'm pretty tempted to stack fire resistance, turn on friendly fire & just let them rip but having all my gear toasted would get annoying.
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2015, 22:48   #102
debo
Veteran

debo is on a distinguished road
You should be completely safe with rF+++ or better. (I think it checks 1d66 >rF%.)

This extends more generally to other elemental inventory damage (e.g. having staves blown up by acid checks 1d66 > rAcid%)
Old March 3, 2015, 15:15   #103
budswell
Apprentice

budswell is on a distinguished road
Thanks for this Variant, I'm new to this after playing Z+ for a while. It reminds me a fair bit of Tome2 which is the variant I've played the most, a years ago. I assume it'll get a bit easier as I get more familiar the way tome did. Although I'm crap at all of them...

I'm just messing with camelot for the time being, although this thread implies that's not a good strategy
http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?t=6606

So just starting out and trying some things, I usually prefer spellcasters. A couple of questions:
- Is is possibly to get a monster list window like in other bands? (I'm a multi window player). Didn't think I used it much, but I really miss it now its gone, was a good tool for avoiding suprises (I do know about [, just not disciplined enough to use it often)
- What is with the weapon skills? With my priest I noticed I missed a lot more when I switched from my mace to a warhammer. Is that just because my skill was lower? Or is there a special priest+mace bonus like I read there was with rogue+sling?
- Similarily, what are the spell skills about? Is it just the more I use the spells the fail rates drop a bit?

Edit: Removed dumb question that I worked out myself

Last edited by budswell; March 4, 2015 at 13:09.
budswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2015, 21:09   #104
wobbly
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by budswell View Post
I'm just messing with camelot for the time being, although this thread implies that's not a good strategy
http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?t=6606
My own order is thieves quest - warg quest - poke head into icky caves (for ease of recall) - poke head in orc caves (same reason) - morivant (1000 gold restore/600 gold id all) - angband etc. but just do what works for you.

Quote:
So just starting out and trying some things, I usually prefer spellcasters. A couple of questions:
- Is is possibly to get a monster list window like in other bands? (I'm a multi window player). Didn't think I used it much, but I really miss it now its gone, was a good tool for avoiding suprises (I do know about [, just not disciplined enough to use it often)
- What is with the weapon skills? With my priest I noticed I missed a lot more when I switched from my mace to a warhammer. Is that just because my skill was lower? Or is there a special priest+mace bonus like I read there was with rogue+sling?
- Similarily, what are the spell skills about? Is it just the more I use the spells the fail rates drop a bit?

Edit: Removed dumb question that I worked out myself
You'll usually have trouble hitting with a weapon you haven't used before (unskilled), & your class will have max. skills in various weapons. Use bless when first switching weapons if it's an issue. Hit C then w to check the to-hit. Also if you want to ride as a priest the warhammer seems to be the only mount-usable blunt weapon. For the rest I'll let someone who knows better answer.
Old March 5, 2015, 05:50   #105
Nivim
Apprentice

Nivim is on a distinguished road
My order is to use the interesting rooms birth option so all dungeons are super-dangerous, then get my first few levels in wilderness (vaults) before raiding the dungeon greater vaults for highest risk/reward ratio.

Quote:
The window options are in =w, but sadly, there isn't an option for monster list yet! It will probably get added whenever chris or someone has time, since it's a pretty good feature.

Quote:
Also cost, I think; I've only played one character with a book so far, and I didn't actually practice any of the spells-- I just used my huge buildup of extra spell levels to [G]ain spells more than once (which increases their mastery by a tier) until I maxed the ones I cared about.
Nivim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2015, 13:56   #106
budswell
Apprentice

Thanks for the replies.

Does the level of opponent matter with upskilling? e.g. Is it possible (and worthwhile) just going to a shallower dungeon level to mow through easy opponents just after switching weapons?

Also on riding, I assume you use the capture ball to get mounts? Is there stats or skills for the capture ball. Been unsuccessful so far whenever I've come across a horse and knocked it down to one star?

Edit: Wow that's new, I just got polymorphed! I'm now a Nibelung. Don't think I've seen it other variants, I think its kind of cool. I was wondering if it was going to be permanent, but no.

Last edited by budswell; March 5, 2015 at 14:24.
Old March 5, 2015, 18:16   #107
wobbly
Veteran

Quote:
Thanks for the replies.
Does the level of opponent matter with upskilling? e.g. Is it possible (and worthwhile) just going to a shallower dungeon level to mow through easy opponents just after switching weapons?
Yep, they need to be a certain difficulty based on your level. Chris if you read this, it can be a nightmare for non-melee classes just trying to build basic skill in a new weapon. Eh, maybe your fine with that anyway, I found it a bit irritating.

Quote:
Also on riding, I assume you use the capture ball to get mounts? Is there stats or skills for the capture ball. Been unsuccessful so far whenever I've come across a horse and knocked it down to one star?
I'm guessing chr (it's a beastmaster's prime stat) with a bonus for cavalry/beastmasters. Pets & mounts can be a pain & a lot of classes can't ride well. You'll suffer large to hit penalties with-out high skill particularly on the crossbow. I like pets so I use them a lot, just be prepared for some hassle/frustration if you do.

Quote:
Edit: Wow that's new, I just got polymorphed! I'm now a Nibelung. Don't think I've seen it other variants, I think its kind of cool. I was wondering if it was going to be permanent, but no.
It can be permanent on the chaos warrior & perhaps a mutation?? Maybe some other ways, I'm fairly new to the variant myself.
Old March 6, 2015, 02:28   #108
Nivim
Apprentice

Nivim is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
Yep, they need to be a certain difficulty based on your level. Chris if you read this, it can be a nightmare for non-melee classes just trying to build basic skill in a new weapon. Eh, maybe your fine with that anyway, I found it a bit irritating.
Get huge ac and detection, go where you expect to find lone melee opponents at least as high as your level, then dual wield junky versions of the weapon you want to train-- the deeper the negative acc/dam the better, although +attacks is good.
Because you see, you get weapon skill points just for making a swing at a higher-level opponent; you don't need to actually hit or do damage.

My favorite place for this around CL30 was recalling to the Graveyard and exiting it to the wilderness, where there were usually trolls of about the right level. Then around CL45-50 I used the arena. ("Downside" is even with +0 stuff I was still killing things quickly, mostly because I was too lazy to change my kit that much.)

Polymorph is temporary if a monster or trap does it to you; it's permanent if you use an item or get it as a chaos-god gift. (The split is supposed to be intentional-vs-unintentional, I think.)
Also, it's kinda dangerous, since has chances for messing with your stats, giving you horrible mutations (as well as ok ones?), and causing plain-damage shock effects (which I think chaos beastman might not have trouble with?).
Nivim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2015, 08:09   #109
wobbly
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivim View Post
Because you see, you get weapon skill points just for making a swing at a higher-level opponent; you don't need to actually hit or do damage.
Just tried this & hey your right! I think I got confused because it doesn't seem to work with missile weapons. You can grab an unskilled missile weapon continuously fire & miss at a sleeping target with a large stack of ammo & as far as I can see never improve till you hit.

Edit: Though I'm not 100% certain I haven't been firing at too weak an opponent.
Edit 2: Pretty sure not though, because usually when it's happened I've grabbed bless scrolls to start hitting & my bow/sling skill has started shooting up after getting a few hits on something.

Last edited by wobbly; March 6, 2015 at 08:19.
Old March 10, 2015, 12:23   #110
budswell
Apprentice

Thanks for the help. (Edit: Was) Playing a posessor and its going a lot better than my average (mainly due to luck).
Also had a crack at pickupref autodstroy stuff and its working well.

So more questions:

With pets do I get the XP when they kill things? (It looks like I do, but not the amount stated in the recall window)

When using the "R"est command the only button on the numeric keypad which works is 5, none of the others (I have numlock off for SHIFT+direction running). But they do work for other things like specifying an number of items in a stack

In the ~ skills display, does ![Unskilled] mean my character cannot get better than that? I am assuming it does because my posessor (RIP) had ![Skilled] in the weapons he used. So if that's the case, which classes can learn to ride? My current character is a necromancer

Is there a way to get pets to follow you down stairs/recall? Kind of like "make pet companion" in Tome. (Although as I type this I guess I could carry them through in capture balls?)

Last edited by budswell; March 10, 2015 at 16:40.