Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old May 31, 2013, 06:58   #1
Scraper
Apprentice

Scraper is on a distinguished road
Top 5 deadliest uniques

I was watching Fizzix comp. 138 winner on youtube and he didn't fight all that many uniques and actually stated outright that he was not going to even bother fighting the Tarrasque,
so.....
Who do you think are the top five deadliest uniques and why?
Scraper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2013, 07:28   #2
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Hm. Kavlax is definitely at the top of the list, since he's so deceptively powerful. Players are likely to try to fight them before it's actually safe to do so.

After that it gets murkier -- does a unique count as dangerous if you only fight it because you decide to? Then certainly the Tarrasque, Huan, etc. are up there. But you can readily avoid fighting every late-game unique if you choose to. That reduces the list down to early-game and mid-game uniques, where you may be blindsided by them before you quite realize what's going on. Adunaphel makes the list, then, as do Mim and his sons. Nar can actually be fairly surprising with his brain-smash attack; if you don't have CSW potions or better then that could easily kill you.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2013, 07:58   #3
Scraper
Apprentice

Scraper is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
Hm. Kavlax is definitely at the top of the list, since he's so deceptively powerful. Players are likely to try to fight them before it's actually safe to do so.

After that it gets murkier -- does a unique count as dangerous if you only fight it because you decide to? Then certainly the Tarrasque, Huan, etc. are up there. But you can readily avoid fighting every late-game unique if you choose to. That reduces the list down to early-game and mid-game uniques, where you may be blindsided by them before you quite realize what's going on. Adunaphel makes the list, then, as do Mim and his sons. Nar can actually be fairly surprising with his brain-smash attack; if you don't have CSW potions or better then that could easily kill you.
Ok, I guess your point about choosing not to fight the deeper uniques is a valid one and probably one of the reasons I haven't won more than once - I like to kill them ALL. And I know the argument about winning the game is about killing Morgoth, but I enjoy the challenge of fighting them all because they represent Tolkien Lore so much... anyway..

Perhaps a different question could be worded...

Which uniques do you always avoid?
Scraper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2013, 08:32   #4
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
To me Gorlim seems to be the one filling Kavlax role. I always get surprised how much damage those water bolts do, and I rarely have conf resist when fighting him and he uses them a lot. He usually doesn't kill me, but I seem to try to kill him too early in every single game.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2013, 08:36   #5
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scraper View Post
Which uniques do you always avoid?
Annoying ones, like Omarax. I usually end up killing them all before facing Morgoth, but I do it only because I like doing it, not because I have to.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2013, 10:25   #6
Therem Harth
Knight

Therem Harth is on a distinguished road
Gorlim has killed a couple of my characters. The typical pattern is that I've forgotten his schtick, stumble across him in a vault, and think "Oh ho hum, a mid level unique, XP ahoy!" at which point he promptly wakes up and blasts my character dead.

Other relatively frequent ones include
- Elemental uniques, particularly Ariel and her confusion attacks
- Mid-level dragon uniques (usually Itangist or Scatha) who can breath for oodles of damage

I notice this is a very different pattern from most *banders. Probably due to the combination of Ironman rooms and my suicidally fast diving.
Therem Harth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2013, 12:16   #7
debo
Veteran

debo is on a distinguished road
I don't know about dangerous, but I have never even tried to fight the unique Qulthyiuhsduhfsguhg thing. It is probably the single most annoying opponent I have ever encountered in a videogame.
debo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2013, 13:38   #8
PowerWyrm
Veteran

PowerWyrm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by debo View Post
I don't know about dangerous, but I have never even tried to fight the unique Qulthyiuhsduhfsguhg thing. It is probably the single most annoying opponent I have ever encountered in a videogame.
Depends on his placement in the dungeon. If you find him next to a wall, it's the easiest guy to kill...
Old May 31, 2013, 13:47   #9
PowerWyrm
Veteran

PowerWyrm is on a distinguished road
My top list:
- Tarrasque: a breathing machinegun, dangerous even with both immunities to fire/cold due to him switching to disenchant breath for massive damage
- Maeglin: kill_wall + summon = mini-Morgoth
- Kavlax: devastating breaths at a point where you don't have the hps to survive most of them
- Maggot's dogs: because they're tough for level 1 chars...
Old May 31, 2013, 14:08   #10
HallucinationMushroom
Knight

HallucinationMushroom is on a distinguished road
Azriel, Tarrasque, the last titan one... Kronos? I would put Kavlax on the list too, but because he masks as a little 'd' and I play in oblivious-mode. Now that you can make uniques all purple, or, at least now that it is an easy thing to do, I'm not too worried about him, even though he is strong.